Any one with a GA-EP45-DS3R?

tokey

Supreme [H]ardness
I purchased this motherboard from a B&M store till my RMA from newegg went thru on my P5Q-pro, turns out i kind of liek this board :p

Anywho I am a bit confused about the bios settings I have a Q6600 I cant seem to OC past 2.8 ghz even with bumping voltage up.

my vid is 1.325 i know its not great

Any ideas on how i can get to 3ghz thats all i was really wanting to get to

I will post screenies when my camera gets charged :p

Anyone who has this board or similar I would apreciate the words of advice for a OC n00b

100_1109.jpg

100_1110.jpg

Shaq is right, you should use that guide as a start. I own the EP45-DS3L, and that's all that I needed to successfully OC my E8500 to 4.0GHz on air cooling.

With specific regards to the motherboard, there's a decent difference between what you set as the VCore in the BIOS and what it actually puts out. I'm not sure if this is exactly Vdroop, since it's a difference between voltages when the CPU is not under load. What I noticed while OC'ing is that as you increrase the VCore in BIOS, the difference between the BIOS stated VCore and your actual VCore gets smaller and smaller. After pushing VCore into my stable range (~1.35V), the VCore I found with CPU-Z and HWMonitor was close to the BIOS read VCore. I can get exact figures for you when I get home (on my laptop in class right now) if you need more help. Also, the Vdroop when under load was IIRC ~0.07V?

Keep in mind these are voltages with an E8500 C2D. Your mileage will definitely vary.

I would suggest starting out low with manual settings for VCore. Here's what I'd do:

-If your RAM has a lot of headroom, then set your settings to manual and change it so that it varies at exactly 2x your FSB (I'm assuming this is DDR2 RAM). If you don't want to OC your RAM just yet, manually set it to an 800 FSB. I'm assuming this is correct for C2Q's guys?
-Disable the Intel power saving technologies as shown in the guide posted.
-Manually set your V Termination and V PLL to the stated values (1.200 V and 1.500 V respectively).
-Manually set your FSB to what you want it to be (keeping in mind that you'll need appropriate cooling).
-Then manually increase your VCore until Prime 95 runs without errors. This is the step that took me the longest, because I wanted to be extremely careful. Check the voltage specs and make sure you stay under them. Also, monitor your temps with RealTemp to ensure accuracy.

Again, I'll try to remember to post more information about what I found when I get home. If I haven't done that within the next day or so, PM me and I'll make sure to post it.

Really, that guide should be everything you need, but this mobo is a little finicky IMO. It might also be helpful if you posted other information about your machine, e.g. cooling situation, case, RAM, even graphics.

Q6600 G0 vid 1.325
Ga-ep45-ds3r
4 gb (2 x 2gb) ddr2 800 G-Skill 5-5-5-15
Tuniq tower 120
Radeon 4870 x2

what limit would you recomend me setting my vcore at i am at 1.36 right now running 3ghz, trying to get it stable but i dont want to push it too high and fry my cpu :p

edit: nm google is my friend i should use him more often

So far i have been able to run prime for over ten min thats the longest i have gotten it running at 3ghz, Thanks to you shaq and rock. I will let you know when i get stable

Reports vary regarding the Vcore. If you look here, this guy has a Q6600 at 3.2GHz with 1.28V. However, his cooling situation may be different from yours; although he still has a Tuniq Tower 120, he might have more case airflow or the difference may be that he lapped the processor/heatsink.

I would say obviously don't exceed Intel's specs (1.5V), but I wouldn't go much higher than 1.4V, and anything lower than that would be good. Every processor is different; it could just be the case that yours needs a little more voltage.

EDIT: You should be able to run Large FFT's for 24 hours+ with no errors in order to be positive of stability.

My bios setting is 1.4 but cpuz and hardware monitor say 1.31 which should i go by here? Also prime has been running 3hrs, stable so far. i plan to let it test tonight untill bed then again sunday evening till monday, since i dont want it to fail w/o me being too far away. My temps are a tad higher than i would like (55c for the last hour or so) but thats a fan issue ATM and i have some new fans coming next week :)

According to the screen shot you posted you are OCing your ram very high at 936MHz on 800MHz ram and I am sure that is limiting your OC.

Set the System Memory Mulitplier to 2.0 until you get your cpu where you want to go, then you go back and see what you can do with your ram.

Also give the MCH (Northbridge) +.1 V to help with OCing stability.

well i ran stable overnight but i dont like the temps being at 55c under load, even tho it doesnt get any higher i am not comfortable, if i raise NB voltage would i, or should i be able to lower my cpu voltage?

New screenies;

100_1114.jpg

100_1115.jpg

*note voltage in bios and cpuz differ, which do i go by ?*
100_1116.jpg

cpuz.png

*note system hasnt been on too long to reach max temp*

HWM.png

I would run an Intel burn test, be careful though, Intel Burntest heats up alot more than Prime95, but 10 minutes on the burntest is better than 12+ hours on prime95.

30 min of intel burn test :D temps got up to 69 tho :eek: but i think we are golden,

Yeah Intelburntest heats up the CPU like a mofo. I thought something was seriously wrong with the way I mounted my heatsink because I was getting way hotter temps than anyone else with the same set up. I was starting to doubt all the praise the S1283 was getting...then I realize everyone was taking temps while under orthos rather than intelburntest. Through my observations, intelburntest gets your CPU about 10+ degrees hotter...

Trying giving MCH Core a .1v bump to 1.2v. Bring the DRAM volts up to 2.0, and lower the vCore down to almost stock. Try like 1.33v. I can't see why it would take 1.4v to reach 3.0Ghz. I think the MCH voltage is what's causing you to use that much CPU voltage for stability. By doing that you'll probably bring your load temps down a considerable amount as well.

You can also try locking the PCIe frequency to 101. For some reason my Q6600 system, and a lot of others, need it locked at 101 for stability.

tried what you suggested, wont do anything stable unless i use these settings :( oh well i got my 3ghz 3.2 and higher would be nice but i am happy with this

What is your spec DRAM voltage? Most DDR2 kits I've used are around 2.1v and you only have 1.8v. That could be a prob...

Leave MCH voltage alone. That board is spec'ed to run 400mhz (1600FSB) at stock voltage, so unless you're going up into the 400s, running Auto should be fine. (Mine is at 425 still stock MCH voltage)

You might also want to play with the advanced timings for the CPU / MCH. Try 150 ps CPU / 250 ps MCH on the advanced timings page. Loosening the timings just a little bit can make a huge difference.

Ive got my E6600 at 400x8 = 3.2GHz at either 1.3625 or 1.35Vcore. Everything else is set to stock voltage. Intel Power saving is enabled. Great motherboard, loaded with features.

You're going to need more vcore if you want it higher. My Q6600 takes 1.504v under load to be stable at 3.6.

I am just thinkin this chip doesnt want to be overclocked. I have reached my stable goal, i may try to go higher in the future, but with i7 coming out quad prices should drop, and i should be able to find a proven oc'er here on the boards for cheap :p

You should easily be able to get 3.6 off that if it is G0 stepping.

You should easily be able to get 3.6 off that if it is G0 stepping.

Not all G0's will do 3.6. I've personally owned 3 G0's and only 1 would go 3.6 comfortably. The other 2 would get there, but at voltages and heat levels that were not in the best interest of the chip. 3.2 to 3.4 is what "most" people average.

Hmm, I guess I have been lucky. I've had 3 different G0's and all would do 3.6 easy with good air cooling (TRUE, NOCTUA etc). I was even able to get one to 3.8 with water. However this was the limit. All of this was done on a p35-dq6 and pc9600 ddr2 ram.
Still quad core 3Ghz is really all anyone needs for now.

All four of my Q6600's have been able to hit 3.6GHz on air cooling..... including the one with a vid of 1.325.

I have a p45 dsL and that ocing software is nice. I went from 2.1 to 3.2 in the push of a button. 6400 conroe. Nice and stable too.

If anyone has the same board with a q6600 g0, please let me know your stable settings, especially if you have a 1.325. I am curious was to what i am missing here, i know not all chips are created equal. but i would like to try the settings you have setup. I think i am missing something here and i cant figure out what, i have tried every suggestion that has been thrown with little luck.

Back