Any overclock difference in an S3 vs DS3?

IIRC it's a DS3 without the D...

Meaning it's just like a DS3 but doesn't have Solid Capacitors.

The differences are indeed very minor. The DS3 has all-solid capacitors, while the S3 has some all-solid and some not. From what I've read that shouldn't affect OCing in the short term, but may affect the lifespan of the board. But who plans to keep the same mobo for 5+ years anyway? For most people this is a nonissue.

They also have slightly different ethernet hardware, but again, who really cares?

As an owner of the S3, I've found that information DS3 owners post has been very useful to me... A few brave souls who have the S3 have even flashed it with DS3 BIOSes without adverse results, although I'm certainly not going to take that chance. :)

Anyway, the short answer is they're practically identical in terms of overclocking potential.

The differences are indeed very minor. The DS3 has all-solid capacitors, while the S3 has some all-solid and some not. From what I've read that shouldn't affect OCing in the short term, but may affect the lifespan of the board. But who plans to keep the same mobo for 5+ years anyway? For most people this is a nonissue.

They also have slightly different ethernet hardware, but again, who really cares?

As an owner of the S3, I've found that information DS3 owners post has been very useful to me... A few brave souls who have the S3 have even flashed it with DS3 BIOSes without adverse results, although I'm certainly not going to take that chance. :)

Anyway, the short answer is they're practically identical in terms of overclocking potential.
Yes, you can interchange bioses without issue. Generally, the S3 bios moniker is one behind the DS3.

Also, the ethernet differences were accounted for in rev2 ds3's. rev2 ds3's use 8056, same as s3 supposedly. rev1 has 8053. I've got both rev1 and 2 ds3's.

Its really just that the DS3 has solid capacitators which should make its longetivity and stability better.

Back