Any PC racing games = to or > than the 360's PGR3?

TheBluePill

2[H]4U
I have never been a racing game fan, I played the origional test drive on the 286 and though it was "fun" but after that, never got in to it. My Brother in law has a 360 and I played Project Gotham 3 for a couple of hours and thought it was a hoot. Anything like that on the PC front?

Thanks
TBP

I think SimBin has a horrrribly accurate racing sim out. They licensed the actual physics/telemetry engine used by real race teams to run your game. :)

Pretty sweet for hardcore racing fans. (the ones who modify real steering wheels to be used as controllers).

that's right Movax. It's called FIA GTR (and now FIA GTR 2). Most realistic driving game out there.

CodeX said:
+1, it is more arcadey and accessible than the GTR series. Toca 3 has any type of racing you can think of also, including lawn mower. To me the physics/handling feel somewhat like Forza on Xbox if I had to compare it to a console game. Great fun though and can be had for $10 at www.gogamer.com, dvd edition also.

There is no PGR 3 type of game for the PC. Arcade racers seem to be console territory currently. FlatOut 2 (console port) I think you would enjoy if you are not heavy inte simracing.

Otherwise GTR 2 even if it´s a bit on the easy side. But for others that means better accessability.

Also don´t forget GTL... It´s dirt cheap and an awesome sim :)
Also if you want to try something extremely challening try Richard Burns Rally. It´s the most realistic racing simulation ever created if you ask me :)

Yah not a whole lot of arcade racing games for the PC, maybe try one of the many TOCA games.

If you want to try a race sim, try Simbins GTR/GTR2 and Live for Speed.

Those games require a lot of practice to be even semi fast, a lot of poeple just want a game you can pic up and win races, GTR and LFS are not those games.

I Might have to give TOCA a try since its so cheap. I was planning on picking up a 360 sometime next year, but its far from the top of my list.

Thanks yall!

Guys, GTR2 is nothing like PGR3 at all! Sure it's a great simulation, but this guy clearly doesn't want a simulation.

He doesn´t know he wants it because he has raced on consoles and there is no racing sim on it :).

There is a novice mode in GTR 2 so it´s not like you have to be super skilled instantly to compete against the AI...

Now racing on-line in simulations like GTR you have to join leagues. Because there is to many people out there that race this games like in PGR 3 and others where it´s okay to crash into people...

But to be honest GTR 2 is really easy to get into compared to GTR so I don´t think it will be too alienating. If you want to try out real racing I think you will have tons of fun with it.

I'm shocked people haven't mentioned the Need For Speed games, especially those prior to the Underground games. Back before EA started cranking these out every 9 months, the NFS games were the pinnacle of racing games. Want a racing "sim" that's still fun? Porsche Unleashed (NFS5) is the most realistic one of the bunch and with today's hardware looks great.
You can get a set of 4 NFS games (that'll all run maxed out on any machine from the last 3 years) for $20.

StalkerZER0 said:
Better than GTR2 huh? :rolleyes:
Well this I gotta see. I will get the demo tonight and check it out.

It is. I much prefer LFS to GTR2.

I guess I should have mentioned what I liked about PGR3,

It was "Fun" , Arcade like where I really wasn't so much worried about crashing or being too serious about it, just drive for "fun".

I liked the graphics, they were by not means "perfect" or mindblowing, but good enough to make it a worthwhile experience and gives a good sense of speed.

I liked the ease of the controls and the fairly predictable "physics" of it. make for quick and entertaining laps.

Liked the car selection, but was hoping for a few less expensive "average people" models.

Bascially, it was a game that I could turn the sound up, buy a couple of cool cars and blast away on the courses without having to build anything or worry about hitting the wall 10 times.

I wouldn't mind a "serious" sim so much every now and then, but this was just cool for the "fun" factor.

What about NFS Most Wanted if your just looking for a fun racing game?

tisb0b said:
What about NFS Most Wanted if your just looking for a fun racing game?
It gets my vote. I don't like track racing. I prefer to drive around with arcade style (fun) physics and smash through buildings, phone booths and total other cars all with the Police chasing me.

Based upon what TheBluePill just wrote I'd *definitely* point you toward the Need For Speed games. They're all at least pretty good, but some are better than others. I personally thought Underground 2 was pretty average, and Carbon is a step backwards, too.
There's a set where you get High Stakes, Porsche Unleashed, Hot Pursuit 2, and the original Underground for $19.99. Best deal on racing games, period. They're arcade'ish style games, but they're the best of that genre.
Most Wanted is last year's game and a definite return to form. You can likely find it by itself for $30.

Even for an arcade racer, I have been unimpressed by the Underground series. Why cant they just make the NFS like it used to be? I had a blast in Porsche Unleashed and High Stakes. Getting to drive super cars around nice looking "tracks" was awesome. rFactor hasnt been mentioned yet, but its a pretty fun sim, more on the arcadish side of a racing sim, but its still a good game.

Other then the previously mentioned, you could try:
-Any of the Carmagedon games. Pure fun driving around running over people and getting points for it, just the graphics are far dated.
-Viper Racing: Older racing game, might look ok running at a higher res. Fun game though, not so realistic, but fun none the less.
-Trackmania: Nothing like PGR3, but a fun arcade racer, plus its free if I can remember correctly

Thats about all I can think of, cant get on all the gaming websites here at work.

Thanks for all of the suggestions folks, I really appreciate it. Looks like I will give the NFS games a try since they are pretty inexpensive. (And one has a 350Z on the cover, my old car!!)

NFS Carbon I tried the demo and it sucked really bad... Very weird driving model to say the least.

If you want something fast and arcadey I would say definiatly get FlatOut 2. I had great fun with that title though it does suffer a bit from the console sickness... But it does support FFB wheels but the less steering lock you can get the better... I ran with 200 on my DFP. It shows that it was developed primarily on the 360 I think or if it´s original Xbox???

Arcade style racer, fun, and smashing through crap....

FLATOUT 2

:D

About Nissan 350Z... GTR 2 has one to bad just it´s the slowest car in the sim ;). It´s probably the fastest 350Z around though ;)

Carbon is kind of strange. I've only had it for 2 weeks (and I'm only 10% done), but if feels dumbed down.
Underground 2 was boring and needlessly tedious, but it introduced the whole "free roaming" city and some decent customization options.
Most Wanted took those things, streamlined them, improved them, and even brought back the old look and style.
Carbon has gone back to the "it's always dark and shiny" look and all of the achievements, customization menus, cop encounters, etc. have all been tweaked to be more complicated or even eliminated. The only thing it adds is a "wingman" who really don't seem to do much. Since the games all have elastic AI...your wingman's actions don't really do anything but make you feel like you're accomplishing something.
Underground 1 I didn't mind, but it definitely was an arcade racer. Not much precision needed as long as you keep your car upgraded. 99% of the game you were faster than the AI no matter how bad of a driver you were. They still used rubber-band AI in that one, but it DID allow you to pull away more than in the other games.
Underground 2 had such lousy AI and physics that you can typically smash full-on into a wall and turn a corner faster than braking and taking it correctly. Playing UG2 "correctly" made it harder than just keeping the gas always down and just steering in the direction you want to end up.

Underground 2 had such lousy AI and physics that you can typically smash full-on into a wall and turn a corner faster than braking and taking it correctly. Playing UG2 "correctly" made it harder than just keeping the gas always down and just steering in the direction you want to end up.
This is true of MANY of the NFS games. Hot Pursuit was a classic example. There was a 90 degree corner in a little town that I'd just bounce off of a building to go around because the game didn't penalize you at all for it. They were JUST getting into good physics with Porsche Unleashed and then they went into the stupid rice crap.

Oh well. GTR2's better than any NFS anyway ;)

Back