Any PPU owners do any benchmarks yet with Cell Factor? :)

with/without/and without + that ini tweak which reportedly bolsters the framerate by a lot.

In truth I'm just waiting for a reason to buy one (Aegia or NV/ATi). I want to see Physx games and Havok FX games.

I'm leary of posting in this thread due to the fact i've tested this before at the company site.

But I did look into the "Tweak.ini" file.........Got a 6-7 FPS boost without PPU, and 5 FPS boost with PPU (Note: I'm doing a total of about 35-40 FPS on Proving Grounds with PPU)

I checked his files, he removed almost all of the lighting, got rid of fluid/cloth, reduced the calculations on those that were still around, so PLEASE don't jump to conclusions ( I know no-one in this thread yet has :-D :-D).....because removing assests from levels is NOT a tweak

I'm leary of posting in this thread due to the fact i've tested this before at the company site.

But I did look into the "Tweak.ini" file.........Got a 5 FPS boost without PPU, and 6-7 FPS boost with PPU

I checked his files, he removed almost all of the lighting, got rid of fluid/cloth, reduced the calculations on those that were still around, so PLEASE don't jump to conclusions.....because removing assests from levels is NOT a tweak

?

The one I heard about supposedly disabled the fluid/cloth and such, but it still showed up without the PPU. I didn't hear very much about it, so I'm not sure what it was all about.

I think we are talking about the same one? Not sure, but I'm hunting for anyothers, the one I tried tweaked the map files around to improve rendering, by tweak, i mean removed assets (lights, disabling cloth, fluids, etc.).

But yes, please people post up some FPS, Interested to see what some of the systems are doing out there

Whoo, let me tell you I have been having HELL with all this tweak business.

Difficult to explain to the average gamer what the difference between software and hardware cloth/liquids is and why being able to run one doesn't mean you don't need a PPU to run the other. People have it in their heads that software and hardware cloth are the same thing and being able to run the software cloth proves CPUs can do everything PPUs can. A few of them are also accusing Ageia of handicapping software performance, I tried to explain to them why it was lagging on their systems but you know how people get when they are convinced of something. This is why I prefer talking about the PPU on here as opposed to gaming forums, people here are a bit more informed as to what hardware is capable of as opposed to the gamers being royally offended that this game dares lag on their modern system.

There seems to be multiple versions of the tweaks going around, at first I thought it was someone ripping off the guy who posted the tweaks here but people are taking different approaches to “optimising” the game.

I'm starting to get deja vu from the beta as people are removing the cloth and claiming to run the game absolutely fine without a PPU, the fact that they are not under the same load doesn't seem to affect their enthusiasm for this “discovery”. I think they should be happy they got cloth at all, sure it looks and runs bad but why do they think the PPU was made for it in the first place?

Cloth and low-polygon destructable territory are horrible without the PPU.

I'd love to see what it's like with one.

I like what the author said at the end of the review about how people will start to get one as soon as it increases FPS in games that will be playing anyway like Unreal 3. As soon as someone can get a FPS boost by buying one of these the [H]ardcore will be all over it and it will trickle down from there.

Indeed - it seems utterly pointless to me right now but if it improves my Bioshock experience I'll be all over it.

I like what the author said at the end of the review about how people will start to get one as soon as it increases FPS in games that will be playing anyway like Unreal 3. As soon as someone can get a FPS boost by buying one of these the [H]ardcore will be all over it and it will trickle down from there.

PPU card isn't about fps.
PhysX PPU support is about more Physics a average CPU can handle.

This means high Physics setting in game.

It's like Dx9 vs DX10 it looks or act differently.
It's like comparing DX9 vs DX10 performance of crysis.

^^^

And as long as that's the case, the market in general will continue to say "So why should I want one, then?"

Back