Any problems so far with your Macbook?

bobsaget

Supreme [H]ardness
For those of you that have gotten the new Macbook, are you experiencing any sort of problems? I'm just wondering, because I'm about to buy one here in a week or so...

Thanks.

Nope! I'm new to macs, but I like mine a lot so far. I can't wait to get more in-depth with garageband and some of the other programs.

No problems so far. Although I did install 2gigs of ram that I recieved from newegg today and it was an oddly tight fit to get them in, but they're in and working great now. My only complaint that it does get quite toasty after a while! But I guess that's an inherant problem with laptops.

My roommate just got his yesterday and was using it like he would his old notebook (web, chat, word processing) and it got super hot to the touch. I felt it and thought that was too hot for any notebook. He is getting it replaced.

I have to wonder what would have happened if he did the heat-stress tests that some people have tried so that they could check temps. Hopefully the next one won't have this problem.

I had a stuck key on the first one I bought.

The second one was perfect and I have had 0 problems. It does not even get that hot (while surfing or watching movies)

Arkangyl said:
the heat would be Apple not knowing how to apply thermal paste.

Actually that has been disproven by some other computer sites. The guy who originally did the change forgot to plug the fan back in and thus his fans were always on and that lowered the temps dramatically. The other sites who tried fixing the paste found little more than a few degree drop.

I think the temp problem is really based on hot hardware in a really small, poorly ventillated case. Style before function I guess.

only thing i had so far on mine is i flipped it on and had a black window up and you could clearly see a dead pixel. then i turned it on today and it was gone.??

that would be a stuck pixel, not a dead pixel. luckily for you, stuck pixels can become unstuck :)

tsn | spazz said:
They fixed the problem in the Macbook.

The MacBook and MacBook Pro are built by two different companies.

MBP = Asustek

MB = same company that made the iBook and old Powerbooks, but I forget the name

I've also read that some MacBooks were shipped with a piece of protective plastic still covering the air vents on the rear. The manufacturer forgot to remove some of them. That'll certainly be bad for the airflow!

My magsafe connector is acting funny. Twice now its gotten REALLY HOT. I decided that I wont even charge it when I'm not around to watch it, lest it start a fire. Sometimes it'll turn off (the LED in the connector) even though its only like 50% charged.

Other than the MagSafe connector, its been working beautifully.

No real problems so far but I have found out how to cause a problem :)

If i tell the Macbook to shutdown and then close the lid before it is actually shut down, the laptop tries to go to sleep. This kind of locks it up. I cannot turn on the laptop after that.

I have to hold in the power button for about 10 seconds. After that the Macbook starts up as it should but gives me an improper shutdown message. I have done this twice in the last couple days, so i now make sure it is actually shut down before closing it.

Other then that, this is the BEST laptop I have ever had. I run OSX and Windows XP using paralles and it is great.

I've noticed my MBP gets really, really, really hot. Like ridiculous level of hot, whereas I'm afraid to carry it after using it cuz I might get burned or something. lol ok I'm exagerrating but you get the idea.

I know it's because of the fans, though. I notice that they never seem to be spinning. I've only heard the fan spin ONCE for like a minute and it was when I turned the computer on from a long time of not using it. Odd.

Rosetta gets annoying in Dreamweaver and Photoshop but no problems like defects or anything.

Arkangyl said:
the heat would be Apple deciding to follow the same "form over function" mentality as always and also deciding that the laptop should be hot and quiet rather than cool and loud.
fixt

Have any of you played any games on your MB? The only game I really care to play on it is World of Warcraft and is also the only app I run that I'm not sure how well the MB will handle. If anyone has a) what kind of performance do you get at native resolution, b) does heat become an issue when you're stressing both the CPU and video acceleration? I noticed the display models at the Apple store are pretty warm for just sitting there doing nothing. I'd be concerned if I tried to play a game or encode some video for hours at a time.

the@ntipop said:
Have any of you played any games on your MB? The only game I really care to play on it is World of Warcraft and is also the only app I run that I'm not sure how well the MB will handle. If anyone has a) what kind of performance do you get at native resolution, b) does heat become an issue when you're stressing both the CPU and video acceleration? I noticed the display models at the Apple store are pretty warm for just sitting there doing nothing. I'd be concerned if I tried to play a game or encode some video for hours at a time.
(A post of mine from another thread: )
I'm not sure if the integrated graphics will be good enough for WoW. I just got a new black macbook yesterday for graduation. It's really nice and just what I need. I don't plan to be gaming on it so it's perfect (I have a pc for that). But just for kicks I threw UT2004 on it to see how it ran. It ran fine on low settings at full resolution, I'm not sure what that means for WoW though.

I don't expect it to win me over as a gaming platform. I had just hoped it would suffice to do a little battlegrounds rep farming in between classes while I'm on campus. Native res at medium settings would be fine. That said, UT at low settings bodes fairly well I would think.

Also have you played UT for a half hour or more? The reviews I've read that note clock throttling at full utilization have me a bit concerned to be honest.

the@ntipop said:
Also have you played UT for a half hour or more? The reviews I've read that note clock throttling at full utilization have me a bit concerned to be honest.

I only played for about 10 minutes tops. Then I went on to doing other stuff.

I'll have to give it a try playing for longer tonight.

I fell asleep with mine on the other night and woke up on fire. Apparently it spontaneously combusted in the middle of the night, setting me and my sleeping dog ablaze.

Or maybe I just have a morbid sense of humor.

tsn | spazz said:
None so far. Except today I tried using it in direct sunlight ... lol.
I thought that I would have that problem, so I got the pro model with the non shiny screen. :cool:

Thud said:
The MacBook and MacBook Pro are built by two different companies.

MBP = Asustek

MB = same company that made the iBook and old Powerbooks, but I forget the name

I've also read that some MacBooks were shipped with a piece of protective plastic still covering the air vents on the rear. The manufacturer forgot to remove some of them. That'll certainly be bad for the airflow!
can anyone else vouch for this?

I'm posting on my brand new MacBook 2.0Ghz White...

No heat random heat problems (Its hot right now because I just formatted and reinstalled OSX without language packs and a bunch of other stuff), build quality is fine and the LCD shows no defects. I'm enjoying this notebook a lot.

How do you re-install OS X without language packs and other items? I recently formatted and re-installed and I never saw a custom install option. Did I miss something?

Back