Any Service Techs ?

RangerSVT

[H]ard|Gawd
Just curious as to what type of troubleshooting methods do you use when you try to diagnose and solve a customer's problem?

I'm trying to help out a friend of mine who has just aquired a new job at an internet provider call center, basically trying to print out a list of commands and possible solutions/work throughs to get him more prepared, rather than going in there blind.

Thanks.

Honestly you really just learn through experience, can't really give you a script to read off of.

I would expect the employer to provide this type of info. How did he get the job to begin with if he doesn't know how to troubleshoot anything?

Dang you guys call yourselfs service techs? I'm not even a service tech and I already came up with a small list of stuff he can ask the customer to do to troubleshoot.

Dang you guys call yourselfs service techs? I'm not even a service tech and I already came up with a small list of stuff he can ask the customer to do to troubleshoot.

Sorry, next time I'll just dump the entire contents of my brain to a text file for you to sift through. Please disregard all my personal data and anything that is obviously in error. </sarcasm>

Forgive me, but your friend will need to learn as he goes, the same as the rest of us did.

Besides, your question is a bit broad. Do you want tips in trouble shooting MS Exchange, Qmail, Cisco Routers, MPLS networks, desktop computers, printer hardware, soldering, Vista, modems, etc, etc. (I think you get the point).

Just curious as to what type of troubleshooting methods do you use when you try to diagnose and solve a customer's problem?

I'm trying to help out a friend of mine who has just aquired a new job at an internet provider call center, basically trying to print out a list of commands and possible solutions/work throughs to get him more prepared, rather than going in there blind.

Thanks.

You will generally find that a lot of errors are ID-10-T or PEBKAC and if its beyond that that in the computer world it usually revolves around a failing hard drive or spyware/virus :p

There is no easy way to diagnose anything without actually seeing the computer.

IF your buddy was hired and doesn't know anything says a lot about that call center huh :p

lol.... how did you friend get this job... if he has a friend of his who doesn't even work in IT trying to tell him how to do his job?

please explain.

Since there will be different questions for every scenario, there aren't a few magic questions that will always lead to the right answer. It entirely depends on the situation. Your friend should already know to ask the basics (is it turned on, etc) and his employer should provide training or a guide to cover what normally comes up.

/me thinks you are looking for the service tech job and need something for the interview .. sigh

just tell him to have the customer restart computer, modem, router, printer, whatever and if that doesn't work escalate it to tier 2 - should buy at least a week or two so he can figure out how to do his job

/me thinks you are looking for the service tech job and need something for the interview .. sigh

Please, sigh some more, because it definitely is not for me, but whatever, no need to prove anything to a name on a screen.

Anywho, this topic is done, seems like if 1 or 2 people jump on the shit wagon, rest will follow.

Topic done and over with.

Thanks for the suggestions.

How about this:

What doesn't it do?
When did it stop working?
What did you do that caused it to stop working?
What were you doing when it stopped working?

Specifics depend on the situation, but there are some basics that will always help.

1. Collect your symptoms and write them down. Be sure to record even seemingly unrelated symptoms. Sometimes an unrelated symptom IS actually related, and it may help you identify the issue sooner.
  2. Take inventory of what you have in front of you. How many drives. How much RAM. How many RAM Modules, etc...
  3. See if you can find a common point between all the symptoms.
  4. When troubleshooting, use Bracket Troubleshooting when appropriate. For example, if you have 4 RAM modules, and you know one of them is bad, replace/swap in pairs until you find the right bank, then dig down to the actual failed module. Bracket troubleshooting can save a lot of time.
  5. Know your references and how to get to them quickly. The secret to being a great tech is not about HAVING all the answers. It's about KNOWING where the answers are.

That's a pretty good start on the basics.

Back