Any sub 10" windows 8 tablets w/ USB port & under $500?

sparky1_2007

2[H]4U
Im looking for a tablet to keep in my car specifically for data logging, looking up repair manuals and just general surfing if i want.

Is there a sub 10" tablet that fits this need? it needs to be windows 8-8.1, no RT variant as i need to install an x86 program for data logging and it needs to have a full size USB port, or some sort of adapter that will allow me to plug in a Serial to USB adapter into it.

I had a surface pro for the longest time, but the $1k price tag was not justifiable to be left in my car all the time.

the thinkpad tablet 2 is 10" w USB running w8 but the older Atom, rumors are that we wont get a new version for a while

8" would be perfect, but I havent been looking into them until recently.

There are three 8" Windows 8 tablets on the market available currently, the Dell Venue 8 Pro which I own, the Lenovo Miix 8 and the Toshiba Encore. The Venue and the Encore are the two interesting ones. The Venue supports an active pen which is why I got it, The Encore has HDMI output and very good cameras. The an issue with all of these devices is that there's no standard way to charge them and use USB peripherals simultaneously though there should be some 3rd part solutions on the way. These Bay Trail Atoms are impressive. You should be able to run well but all of the more resource intensive desktop applications on them.

Im looking for a tablet to keep in my car specifically for data logging, looking up repair manuals and just general surfing if i want.

Is there a sub 10" tablet that fits this need? it needs to be windows 8-8.1, no RT variant as i need to install an x86 program for data logging and it needs to have a full size USB port, or some sort of adapter that will allow me to plug in a Serial to USB adapter into it.

I had a surface pro for the longest time, but the $1k price tag was not justifiable to be left in my car all the time.

Dell venue 8 pro would be perfect...

Dell venue 8 pro would be perfect...

does it have a USB port for connecting to a perhipheral? specifically a serial to USB adapter.

edit: read around and it looks with a USB OTG cable i can attach a device via USB to it.

awesome! now to wait for a sale on it again, or wait till they go on sale used for cheap.

thanks for all your help

does it have a USB port for connecting to a perhipheral? specifically a serial to USB adapter.

edit: read around and it looks with a USB OTG cable i can attach a device via USB to it.

awesome! now to wait for a sale on it again, or wait till they go on sale used for cheap.

thanks for all your help

Microcenter has it (in-store) for $229 right now, and Staples should price match that anywhere in the country.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/422081/Venue_8_Pro_Tablet

thanks for all your help

FYI I ordered this RAM mount for mine: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MFKV20/ and it fits snug with the middle-sized bracket.

This is a pic of it in the mount and attached to a windshield RAM mount (I'm not actually leaving it there, but was just testing it out -- it will be going off a separate bracket below the windshield line).

1E1osuF.jpg

It's obviously on the desktop and running the Hondata Flashpro software. It is hooked up via USB to the OBD2 and pulling data (car is off, thus RPM 0).

It's a neat little device and should work well for you. So far my only complaints are a lack of cellular options (so I could toss my iPad for good) and the single USB port for charging and using peripherals. Luckily the battery is good enough that the latter isn't much of an issue.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
There's supposed to bean LTE version of V8P coming 1st quarter 2014 I believe and there talk of a 3rd party Y-adapter coming that supports charging with USB devices connected.

FYI I ordered this RAM mount for mine: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MFKV20/ and it fits snug with the middle-sized bracket.

This is a pic of it in the mount and attached to a windshield RAM mount (I'm not actually leaving it there, but was just testing it out -- it will be going off a separate bracket below the windshield line).

1E1osuF.jpg

It's obviously on the desktop and running the Hondata Flashpro software. It is hooked up via USB to the OBD2 and pulling data (car is off, thus RPM 0).

It's a neat little device and should work well for you. So far my only complaints are a lack of cellular options (so I could toss my iPad for good) and the single USB port for charging and using peripherals. Luckily the battery is good enough that the latter isn't much of an issue.

that looks like its perfect for what i want, thanks for the pics!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
^Is that legal? I ask caz the cops usually get pull over happy around the highway if your mounted device is in the field of vision of the driver and is basically taking up residence in the field of vision near your A pillar.

S2000 i assume from the IC

Back