Any suggestions?

Yoblad

[H]ard|Gawd
I am running out of server hdd space but I have multiple domain workstations with large hard drives. Is there a good way to harness these hard drives to create a single network share with large available space. Like a logical network array or something? I've never heard of anyone doing something like this. What I want to basically do is create a RAID 0 version of network shares except instead of spanning bits, just spanning actual files. Or maybe fill up one share before moving on to the next like pipelining. You're probably thinking DFS right now but that's not what I need. Speed and redunancy are not important for this.

DFS might be the only way as essentially you would share out an area on each machine, then just combine it all under 1 'master' share on the server and let the DFS do the rest.

if you are just a little short on space and the server is powerful (CPU wise) then you could look at compressing files (although that does kind of suck)

see, the dfs root won't combine anything. It just creates links to shares that act as a local file structure.

Anyone at all? Do you even get what I'm talking about? I can try to explain it better.

Back