any updates on Penryn?

smith94672

Limp Gawd
Does anyone here have any ideas on the exact arrival and pricing of Penryn chips?

I need a new setup by mid-Dec ( the sooner the better ) and have <$280 to spend on a new processor.

I need to know because if the entry-level Penryn is likely to be delayed further than Nov-Dec and will be >$280, .....then I'd rather get a Q6600 now instead.

I wouldn't mind knowing the answer to this myself--my parents are in the same boat and my Dad expects me to help him pick out components :) Unfortunately, I'm thinking early 2008 for the desktop chips.

Unfortunately, I'm thinking early 2008 for the desktop chips.

IIRC, the date for the desktop chips is not more specific than "Q1 of '08", at this point. That could be January 1st through March 31st. That is pretty old guidance, also. Actual release could definitely be different. That would not be a good idea for them (financial analysts don't like surprises), but it could change.

As for pricing, it should be the same to a bit less than the equivilent speed/core-count Xeons, and Intel has already anounced their pricing info on the Xeon models.

As of July, I read somewhere that Penryn was expected in Nov '07, with entry level models starting at ~$250, no?

As of July, I read somewhere that Penryn was expected in Nov '07, with entry level models starting at ~$250, no?

No.
Desktop 45nm CPUs should be available in Q1 08.

There should be a lot more details about Penryn during IDF, starting tomorrow. I read that they're demonstrating it again.

If Bloombergs latest article is right,we may see it on the desktop earlier then previosuly thought. :cool:

Penryn Information from IDF:

The most prominent news from this year's IDF will be the Penryn core and it is due sooner than we all thought. Paul Otellini said now that the high end desktop and server products would be launching on November 12 of this year

speaking of...we gonna need new mobo's for the penryn cpu's? :) when they do come out, that is!

speaking of...we gonna need new mobo's for the penryn cpu's? :) when they do come out, that is!

P35 and newer boards should support all 45nm products. Many P965 boards also support 45nm according to manufacturers, but it's unclear whether those support Yorkfield.

you are correct, as of now the only penryn that is for sure launching is ith e qx9650 which is clocked at 3.0ghz with a 1333fsb. I assume it will be $999. I hope they also put out a mid priced quad like the q6600.

It's pretty sad that's there's more and *better* previews for Harpertown than there was reviews for the launch of Barcelona.

I believe intels plan was or is to release a QX something, but I heard 3.16ghz, and 1333 fsb, but 45nm will be rolled out quicker for the server side.

Should be the same schedule as last year. The QX6700 came out first, followed by general release three months later. So, the Extreme will likely be first.

Fugger from XS was at IDF and did a live OC bench with triple Cascade and reached 5.67Ghz and broke sub 8 second 1M SuperPI. Looking very nice, but apperantly the chips are alittle fragile as he said he destroyed 2 of them pretesting them.

Plus side is looks like no cold bugs :)

November 12 is when "Penryn" will officially hit, in Xeon form

Intel’s Paul Otellini today, during the Intel Developer Forum, confirmed the launch for Penryn-based Xeon processors is set for November 12. Penryn will be Intel’s first 45nm architecture, designed for mobile, desktop, server and workstation use. Intel confirmed Penryn has a 410 million transistor die. Kentsfield has 582 million transistors while Conroe has 291 million transistors.

Intel’s reseller webpage accidentally leaked November 11 as the day resellers could start purchasing quad-core Xeon processors and listed the price. Intel immediately locked out the reseller webpage from the public after learning of the posting. Nevertheless, as with Intel launch tradition, the company typically launches new processors on Mondays, unless there’s a holiday.

Penryn Quad-Core Xeon DP - 1333 MHz FSB

Model
Core
Frequency TDP
L2 Cache
Launch Price

X5460 3.16 GHz 120W 12MB
$1,172

E5450 3.00 GHz 80W 12MB
$851
E5440
2.83 GHz 80W 12MB
$690
E5430 2.66 GHz 80W 12MB
$455
E5420
2.50 GHz 80W 12MB
$316
E5410 2.33 GHz 80W 12MB
$256
E5405
2.00 GHz
80W 12MB
$209

Penryn Quad-Core Xeon DP - 1600 MHz FSB

Model
Core
Frequency TDP
L2 Cache
Launch Price

E5472 3.0 GHz 80W 12MB
$958

E5462 2.8 GHz 80W 12MB
$797

The company plans to release an onslaught of Penryn-based dual and quad-core Xeon processors with 1333 MHz and 1600 MHz front-side bus speeds. Launch speeds for Penryn-based quad-core Xeon models range from 2.0 GHz-to-3.16 GHz. Dual-core Penryn-based models start at 1.86 GHz and top out at 3.33 GHz.

Expect Intel to officially announce Penryn-based Xeon processors on November 12.

No.
Desktop 45nm CPUs should be available in Q1 08.

Anandtech is reporting that the first desktop quad core Penryn will also launch on November 12:

"Intel announced details of its first quad-core Penryn (Yorkfield) processor, due out on November 12th - the Core 2 Extreme QX9650.

The QX9650 features four 45nm Penryn cores running at 3.0GHz with a 1333MHz FSB, and a total of 12MB L2 cache (6MB per two cores). Like all Extreme Edition processors, the QX9650 will ship unlocked.

Given the name, we'd expect to see it at the $999 price point of other top end Extreme Edition processors. The QX9600 will have the same 130W TDP as its predecessors."

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3102&p=3

It sounds like they won't hit the midrange until 1H08.

My holiday build will be a Q6600 then (barring any new price cuts on quads!)

Wow, I thought Penryn was supposed to run cooler and use less power, but these appear to be running 80W vs. the 65W rating of AMD's current chips? Or am I reading this wrong...

Penryn will be cooler and use less power than existing Intel quads, not existing slow-ass AMD dual core chips.

Edit: unless you mean Barcelona, haven't seen the power figures for that.

So, to summarize: High end desktop and server chips in November. Midrange and entry level desktop chips in Q1'08.

i could have sworn it wasn't that long from qx6700 to q6600. Like maybe a month? Maybe I am just remembering it all wrong

Back