Any way of getting a CHEAP NEC 20wmgx2?

placebo

n00b
My god, these things are expensive, but I really think that it's the only display I'll end up being satisfied with in the long run for both gaming and design work. Is there any way of getting one of these suckers for under the lofty list price of $600? Ebay seems to be selling them higher if anything.

Anybody pissed off with their "glossy screen" and want to unload it? :p

The best I've found is $610 with free shipping, I find that tolerable.

Where'd you find your price?

Very nice, thanks. The prices on Froogle have gone down about $20 in a few weeks, when I actually buy it in August I suppose it'll be even less expensive.

Well, I decided to go ahead an pick one up. I was going to buy a used on over on the AT forums, but the seller wasn't established (low post count, no heat, just ebay evals) and wanted 75% of the money up front, so I passed. Didn't pay a whole lot more, got one at Buy.com for $607 shipped.

I'm going to see if it wins me over, at this price I think I'd prefer a Dell 2407FWP for not too much more (possibly less if you get it with a computer).

I like the glossy screen, component inputs, and apparently stellar picture/color quality. I do wish it was a higher res, but 1680x1050 isn't terrible, especially since I plan on only doing single card graphics, and so it'll be ok (plan on picking up an X1900 AIW and slapping an NV5 silencer on it and OC it, hopefully it works, the NV5 looks like it'll fit perfectly including the memory). Also, I'm a little apprehensive about the video twinkling issue, as I plan to watch movies and TV quite a bit. Also, I don't like the bezel and really wish it was more adjustable. Should at least look ok sitting on top of my CS1 center, so that'll take care of the height issue.

I can always sell it if I don't like it I suppose. We'll see though. If it doesn't blow me away, I'll probably go dual 2007s, a 2407, or try to snag one of the new BenQ 24". I might order from Dell to do a direct comparison.

I work for NEC and I can't get it any cheaper than any one else!!! Whats that all about! I can keep everyone posted about when price drops are on the way if that will be helpful. The main problem is production can not keep up with demand.

I will see if I can find out when the next planned price drop is.

I just picked up a 24" Acer but, I can tell you, I want my next LCD to be glossy. I think it makes a huge huge difference. Like night and day.

30" glossy LCD .... :) Heaven

I think the Dell 2007 has the same panel as the NEC, but it doesn't have the glossy screen and some of the inputs.

The NEC a) might be a slighly newer revision of the LG panel the Dell uses (the WE2) and b) uses overcharging and a few other tricks to get more out of it.

Oh, and did I mention that it has full 8-bit color and no banding, something the Dell didn't manage under any revision unfortunately?

placebo said:
The NEC a) might be a slighly newer revision of the LG panel the Dell uses (the WE2) and b) uses overcharging and a few other tricks to get more out of it.

Oh, and did I mention that it has full 8-bit color and no banding, something the Dell didn't manage under any revision unfortunately?

I thought rev02 fixed the banding in desktop mode?

si0dine said:
I think the Dell 2007 has the same panel as the NEC, but it doesn't have the glossy screen and some of the inputs.

From what I understand the Dell started out using the same LG-Phillips S-IPS panel but the revision that finally sort of works uses a PVA panel.

Also you have to keep in mind that lots of monitors use the same panels so there is a lot to be said about the eletronics behind the panel. Which is why two monitors with the same panel may test completely different since one of the manufacturers may have done a shotty job.

Oh my god that's SO UNFAIR, I put an Ebay alert on "20wmgx2" and never got an email about that!

Back