Any way to force a GeForce FX to run HL2 in DX9 mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shapeshifter said:
The anandtech article shows it, ouch 60% fps drop going into dx9 mode at 800x600 no less :eek:

Ya he just dont want to admit that his FX card cannot play a DX9 properly WITHOUT shader replacements <and a loss of IQ no less>

DASHlT

DASHlT said:
Ya he just dont want to admit that his FX card cannot play a DX9 properly WITHOUT shader replacements <and a loss of IQ no less>

DASHlT

anyone that thinks like that is plain and simple = !!!!!!ism ;)

Shapeshifter said:
anyone that thinks like that is plain and simple = !!!!!!ism ;)
No, because it's true, the FX is not the best choice for DX9 gaming.
Nvidia underestimated ati, blabla ati won that round by far.

Moloch said:
No, because it's true, the FX is not the best choice for DX9 gaming.
Nvidia underestimated ati, blabla ati won that round by far.

No that was me agreeing with him, I was stating that if any one Thought the Fx line was cable of dx9 while having good performance then they are clueless, and brand loyal beyond all reasoning.

Shapeshifter said:
No that was me agreeing with him, I was stating that if any one Thought the Fx line was cable of dx9 while having good performance then they are clueless, and brand loyal beyond all reasoning.
Doesn't seem like you were saying that, because the statement which you quoted is kind of !!!!!!sh, but it's true.

Moloch said:
Doesn't seem like you were saying that, because the statement which you quoted is kind of !!!!!!sh, but it's true.

Dashit was saying that a certian someone was unwlling to admit that his Fx card can't do dx9 while getting good performance. "Ya he just dont want to admit that his FX card cannot play a DX9 properly WITHOUT shader replacements <and a loss of IQ no less>"

I agreed with him and said that this person is obviouslly a !!!!!!.

Understand?

Shapeshifter said:
I was stating that if any one Thought the Fx line was cable of dx9 while having good performance then they are clueless, and brand loyal beyond all reasoning.
Or possibly the users of the FX 59x0 cards actually ran and benchmarked the games and found it to have acceptable DX9 performance in other DX9 games. And even maybe the biggest complainers have never done the same, but attempt to use the "common knowledge" they have absorbed from other like minded individuals to just trash a product without any facts.

The one point that keeps getting twisted by a couple of users in this thread is that no one said DX9 performance on the NV35/38 is superior to the 9800 cards. But what is actually said is that in most other DX9 games (HL2 excluded), performance is acceptable. If that means no FSAA, that's fine to the owners of the 59x0 cards.

pxc said:
Or possibly the users of the FX 59x0 cards actually ran and benchmarked the games and found it to have acceptable DX9 performance in other DX9 games. And even maybe the biggest complainers have never done the same, but attempt to use the "common knowledge" they have absorbed from other like minded individuals to just trash a product without any facts.

The one point that keeps getting twisted by a couple of users in this thread is that no one said DX9 performance on the NV35/38 is superior to the 9800 cards. But what is actually said is that in most other DX9 games (HL2 excluded), performance is acceptable. If that means no FSAA, that's fine to the owners of the 59x0 cards.

Yap but only after shader replacements AT A LOSS OF IQ....but the person who started this thread said he picked nvidia <because of image quality> now If he had a 6800 card OK i understand the IQ he wants...but an FX5900 card?...come on the IQ is horrible and that is with shader replacements. Can the FX5900 run DX9? o ya of course...but either at a loss of performance or a loss of IQ

DASHlT

DASHlT said:
Yap but only after shader replacements AT A LOSS OF IQ....but the person who started this thread said he picked nvidia <because of image quality> now If he had a 6800 card OK i understand the IQ he wants...but an FX5900 card?...come on the IQ is horrible and that is with shader replacements. Can the FX5900 run DX9? o ya of course...but either at a loss of performance or a loss of IQ

DASHlT
There's a point in there somewhere, but I can't find it. Do you have some pictures of DX9 games with shader replacements that cause poor IQ?

You can't automatically knock shader replacements if there's no loss of IQ since ATI also does it.

pxc said:
There's a point in there somewhere, but I can't find it. Do you have some pictures of DX9 games with shader replacements that cause poor IQ?

You can't automatically knock shader replacements if there's no loss of IQ since ATI also does it.

Dont have to show you, just go to review sites....LOTS of them show IQ loss on certain DX9 games....www.google.com thats a good place to start.

DASHlT

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTgwLDI=

"hat you will notice is that there is a lighting difference between them. You will also notice the floor is slightly different as well. If you look towards the ceiling in the grating that present, you will find it rendered with slightly less detail on the GFFX 5950Ultra. All of these are very minor differences not likely to greatly impact gameplay but over the ABIT 9800XT gives what we see to be a better IQ."

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTgwLDM=

"In the first screenshot comparison above the big thing we notice is the AA quality. It appears that even though 4XAA is enabled on the GFFX 5950Ultra it is not Anti-Aliasing some edges. We did confirm AA is enabled because in other areas you could see AA doing its job. In fact in this picture you can see that AA is working on some parts of the car. If you zoom in on the areas we have indicated you will see that AA is doing exactly what it is suppose to in those areas. It just doesn’t appear to be working anywhere else. So clearly the ABIT 9800XT has much better AA quality in this game."

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTgwLDQ=

"With the GeForceFX 5950Ultra we were only able to run at 1024x768 with 2XAA and 8XAF. If we bumped the resolution up to 1280x1024 the framerates were just way to slow. They were hovering in the lower 20’s in the worse case scenario. Therefore the resolution had to be lowered and we found 1024x768 to be the sweet spot for this card. Of course because of this lower resolution the GeForceFX 5950Ultra automatically is at a lower image quality than the ABIT 9800XT. In fact the image quality in Flight Sim 2004 goes even further than that. The Anisotropic filtering quality in Flight Sim 2004 on the GeForceFX 5950Ultra is simply horrible compared to the ABIT 9800XT. You can see the image quality comparison below"

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTgwLDc=

"Overall, in FarCry, we can see the ABIT 9800XT delivering a better image quality when it comes to reflections on surfaces and this can truly enhance the immersion factor of the game."

DASHlT

Holy rustbuckets! Over half the post in this thread are worthless. . . Lets see how many times we can say the same thing over, and over, and over . . . .

Look, I am running HL2 on a 2.26 (non HT 533 FSB) P4, with 1GB DDR 266 and a vanilla FX5900. I play @1024x768 with everything on high and water reflections on simple and my average FPS is 60 for outdoors and usually in the 50s for indoors. Every once in a while it drops to the 30's. Now, Does the game still look good? YES. Is it still fun to play? YES. Do I have the best video card for it? NO. Is the ATI 9XXX faster? YES. In the grand scheme of things does it matter that I or anyone else like the 5900? NOT AT ALL. All the guy wanted was an answer. Give it to him and let him decide for himself if the card sucks or not. Maybe he doesn't care that it will give him crappy FPS.

//end rant//

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back