Any way to protect my ping?

semisonic9

Gawd
We have a 7mbs connection to the house. Normally, when I'm playing at home solo I get pings and latency as low as 15-45.

When my roommate gets on the network, it's almost always up around 500-800. Usually she's downloading something via torrents.

Is there any way to keep my ping low(er) without notably stepping on her connection? I don't like artificially limiting her access because if I'm not on the network she might as well use the whole pipe. If all she's doing is browsing and downloading an episode of Dexter, it seems retarded that my ping goes up 550 and change.

Failing that, what do I need to do to ensure a reasonable "split" of the pipe?

This belongs in the networking section, you're talking about the interwebs, not games in specific.

That said, I think the only way to do that is to either ask her to put a limit on the maximum downloading speed through her torrent app (in uTorrent you can for example right click the icon on the taskbar and state the max download and upload rates).

Or you could set up QoS through your router and put your PC on the top priority and hers lower/lowest, but I swear it doesn't work on my home network, so you luck may vary

Mmm. Don't seem to have an option to move it.

I figured gamers would have the best advice for this particular problem (ie, "I can't be the first college kid this has happened to!"), but yeah, it probably should have gone up there.

Mmm. Don't seem to have an option to move it.

I figured gamers would have the best advice for this particular problem (ie, "I can't be the first college kid this has happened to!"), but yeah, it probably should have gone up there.

It happens everywhere. I'm having the same trouble with my sister simply watching a youtube video, and it happens in the workplace all the time, where someone could possibly take up the whole line by uploading something. You'd find a better answer in the networking section because of that, they're more tech savvy about it as well than a simple console gamer would know.

And what can you not move?

My cousin who lives with me torrents non-stop and it kills me lol.

I messed with QoS options, but it has no settings for wireless, which he is connected to on his laptop across the house.

Uhm, well I used a D-Link gaming router. Opened the torrent up through the firewall, but also set it so the computers that don't torrent take priority over the ones who do via it's gaming rules and what not. It works out really well. Can have one computer downloading like crazy and my pings might fluctuate by 50-100..which could just as easily be outside of my network and uncontrollable.

Plus the other thing you can do is have the people who are torrenting set their max upload to leave half of it for you. Should improve latency just with that simple step. Only seems far as well since they are soaking up most the download, having half the upload capability set aside for yourself isn't unreasonable.

Additional point I thought of......reducing the max upload speed in the torrent client will often times also increase your download speed. Assuming the upload speed set in the client is near your maximum upload capability. The upload seems to just choke off the ability for the machine to respond quickly and request the data packets.

My cousin who lives with me torrents non-stop and it kills me lol.

I messed with QoS options, but it has no settings for wireless, which he is connected to on his laptop across the house.

Throttle the wireless down on him lol.

I would think this thread is just as relevant here as anywhere else in the forums. Your basically going to get the same generic answers regardless of subforum. Use a wired connection, make sure the appropriate ports are forwarded, throttle the torrenters on your network, connect to servers closest to you and eventually someone will suggest messing with the QoS settings without really telling you how to do it or what settings to change. Eventually you will give up and realize there is no magical fix for a bad ping and give up.

Throttle the wireless down on him lol.

I would think this thread is just as relevant here as anywhere else in the forums. Your basically going to get the same generic answers regardless of subforum. Use a wired connection, make sure the appropriate ports are forwarded, throttle the torrenters on your network, connect to servers closest to you and eventually someone will suggest messing with the QoS settings without really telling you how to do it or what settings to change. Eventually you will give up and realize there is no magical fix for a bad ping and give up.

He's not expecting some kind of a program that would let him download torrents at full speed and get 0 ping in all servers and games.

And next time read the replies. I already suggested QoS, so just saying you obviously didn't even read anything here.

He's not expecting some kind of a program that would let him download torrents at full speed and get 0 ping in all servers and games.

And next time read the replies. I already suggested QoS, so just saying you obviously didn't even read anything here.

Thats my fucking point...

Whoosh, right over your head huh? :rolleyes:

if you don't have good qos on your router, the simplest way imo would be to have her limit the upload speed on the bt client, that's really the only thing that could affect your ping so much. even if she is downloading at full throttle, as long as you have some upload bandwidth left you should only see a 10-20ms rise. so take your max uplink from isp * .85 (for overhead) and set her to around half of that, you don't need to worry about limiting incoming. that way it won't affect downloads and everyone has a stable connection.

let's say your connection is 7/384

((384 * .85) * .5) / 8 = ~20 kB/s

There's 2 things causing a problem here:

1) Bit torrent creating many connections (to many other peers) and causing longer queue times at your router for packets.
2) Saturated up/down stream, often causes data throughput problems and stops ack packets getting through as fast which artificially throttles downstream.

You need to do a speed test online and find out your realistic speeds, www.speedtest.net is pretty reliable for me, work out what your down/up speeds are and throttle the torrent client so it cannot reach this limit, exact numbers depend on your connection and what actual speeds you see on your line, i would recommend allowing sat 50% of the total line speed for torrents, for both download AND upload...you can set these values in most torrent clients, if not get utorrent, also lower the total number of allowed connections per torrent and total overall, this means if you have a slow router which cant process packets very fast it should help.

You could also mess about with QoS on the router and prioritise torrent packets to be lowest priority, however what ports to lock down might be tricky, you might want to force the torrent client to only use 1 port or a known range of ports to sort this.

Back