Any way to turn on a power supply without a mobo?

MrFace

2[H]4U
I had a storm come through and my UPS failed me, caused my router and something in my computer to blow up. I figured it was my PSU, so I bought a new one, put it in today and no go. I'm assuming it's the mobo now that's bad, is there any way though to test the PSU just to make sure I wasn't given a dud? :eek:

Jump the green wire and any black on the 24 pin block. a paperclip should work nicely

be sure to unplug everything as well. if you leave the 12v 4/8pin in your mobo it will send voltage to your cpu and with no fan on it will cook it.

You should hook up a fan or an old HD, both so you can see more easily if the PSU is working and in case it needs a minimum load to operate. Also, what PSU is this?

Corsair 620HX, both this one and the new one didn't work, ordered a new mobo today. I just want to make sure the old one works so I can return the new one or sell the old one.

Jump the green wire and any black on the 24 pin block. a paperclip should work nicely

be sure to unplug everything as well. if you leave the 12v 4/8pin in your mobo it will send voltage to your cpu and with no fan on it will cook it.

Cool I just did this. The PSU was making a clicking noise but the fan started running. Oh well, new mobo should be here tomorrow....let's just hope that's all that is broken.

Back