Any word on a CUDA add-on card?

davidlem

Gawd
I know about the PhysX add-on cards from AEGIA before nVidia bought them out, but what about add-on cards that include CUDA capability for things like Mercury Playback Engine in Adobe video production products? I know I could drop coin on a new GeForce card, obviously, but I don't need a big honking card for high quality gaming, just GPU processing to enhance HD editing in Premiere and After Effects.

Sure, they are called the Teslas and are even more expensive than a GeForce.

The thing is, CUDA cards are just GeForce GPUs, that's all. To get the performance in CUDA, you need a good GPU. As such it isn't like they could make some CDUA card that would cost a lot less. I mean I guess you could save a little removing the TDMS transmitters and DACs and so on but any savings you got would be eaten up by having to produce a whole new card that wouldn't sell a lot.

If you want CUDA, you have to get a GeForce card of some variety (or a Quadro or a Tesla).

GeForce is for gaming. The prices are very competitive.
Quadro is for work. The prices are in no way competitive.
Tesla is a dedicated GPGPU. It does not output video. From what I've read, it offers a massive improvement in dual precision performance over GeForce cards, while matching its single precision performance. I don't know if that also applies to Quadro.

Each excel in their own categories.

I don't know if Quadro / Tesla can do PhysX. I'd imagine they could... but that's just a guess.

Back