Any word on aftermarket air coolers for 8800GT that cover RAM/MOSFETs?

yacoub35

Gawd
Curious if there's any word from companies like Arctic Cooling or Zalman about a unified cooler that actually covers everything important so you don't have to mess around with trying to stick little dinky heatsinks to the RAM chips or MOSFETs.

IIRC the GDDR3 that comes on the 8800GT runs relatively cool, so you probably don't need to heatsink them as long as there's some airflow around them and you're not overclocking too terribly hard.

Yeah that would be great! Exactly what we're looking for - copper base that covers everything (if it also covers the MOSFETs) and a nice big fan that's not loud.

I don't think the arctic cooling nv 5 silencer covers the MOSFET, only the ram. The fan doesn't suck air from the MOSFET either because it is only open on the conic fan side. The Thermaltake ND 1 is open on both sides and sucks in air from the MOSFET.

Not at $45 a pop, pretty high $$ and you still need the cooler for the GPU...........:eek:

I think they are pretty slick and $45 seems very resonable considering its a custom/one-off set up.

Normally things like this are of better quality as well, I wouldnt kick it out of bed for eating crackers thats for sure!!

The big question for me is, do the power Mosfets really need cooling at all, knowing how HOT the reference cooler gets at that end of the card. Seems to me the Mosfets are better off having nothing opposed to baking under the reference cooler, however better to be safe!

The 45$ for the customs above is actually pretty good considering, however you can mount a $4 80mm fan pointed directly at them that will do the trick, and even run it on the 5V rail for lower noise close, or buy other sinks.

Most coolers like the Zalman come with ram sinks anyway so ram is a mute issue and is more than enough.

be nice to see some more official comments on this issue.

The big question for me is, do the power Mosfets really need cooling at all, knowing how HOT the reference cooler gets at that end of the card. Seems to me the Mosfets are better off having nothing opposed to baking under the reference cooler, however better to be safe!

The 45$ for the customs above is actually pretty good considering, however you can mount a $4 80mm fan pointed directly at them that will do the trick, and even run it on the 5V rail for lower noise close, or buy other sinks.

Most coolers like the Zalman come with ram sinks anyway so ram is a mute issue and is more than enough.

be nice to see some more official comments on this issue.

And, you've got to remember that the guys over at XS are known for doing things like buying pairs of $700+ video cards and then volt modding them.

Talk about voided warrenty:eek::D

Easiest and cheapest way to cool them is to make a simple sink out of a old scrap Intel Pentium sink and use a little frag tape (thermal tape) to stick them in place, they will cool just as well as any other $45 option and won't cost you a thing, money well saver to pay for the GPU cooler its self................:eek:

Easiest and cheapest way to cool them is to make a simple sink out of a old scrap Intel Pentium sink and use a little frag tape (thermal tape) to stick them in place, they will cool just as well as any other $45 option and won't cost you a thing, money well saver to pay for the GPU cooler its self................:eek:

Bolt on options are preferred as many people dislike thermal tape/frag tape, thermal pads, etc. The point of this thread was to get away with sticking from sticking on heatsinks manually.

Oh well, I guess some folks are just made out of money..........:eek:

Spend away my friends..............:D

These components that you all are wanting to cool do not get hot enough to warrant any type of direct bolt-on sinks and thermal paste, a standard stick-on type of sink is more than enough.

These components that you all are wanting to cool do not get hot enough to warrant any type of direct bolt-on sinks and thermal paste, a standard stick-on type of sink is more than enough.

riiiiggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttttt. Stick-on a "for me" on the end of that bad advice and then I cannot disagree.

If you dont have $45 to spend then you might on the wrong hobby.
Some people want to cool it down to get the OC as high as possible, others want to do it so the overcall case temp doesnt get higher thus affecting other parts stability...many reasons but that is what separates power users from regular pc users. Some like to hardware mod things other prefer software mods and other prefer stock....the good thing is nobody is right or wrong ....its a matter of preferences.

Some of us are disabled vets and have to make do with modding what we have and can't go out and pay for all the high dollar stuuf that the rich boys can..........:mad:

I just spend your hard earned tax dollars on cooling components where they are really needed..............:)

And I'd be willing to bet that my complete system runs a bit cooler than your average rig my friend, hard work and a little self modding does pay off in the end.

Again I really seem to be missing how $45 automatically makes someone seem like a rich boy... Its 2007 not 1960 you know....

Why do you criticize someone who pays for after market cooler? If one works hard to earn money we are free to spend it any way we want. By the same token is someone has the skills to mod on their own then thats cool too. I dont have time to sit down and mod as I work a lot to earn my cash thats why I dont point fingers at either choice and logic fails to understand why should you or anyone else for that matter... :rolleyes:

And, you've got to remember that the guys over at XS are known for doing things like buying pairs of $700+ video cards and then volt modding them.

Talk about voided warrenty:eek::D

Sure sure I was referring to the stock or mild overclocks.

Back