Any worthwhile upgrade path?

WalkedAirplane

Limp Gawd
I have a fairly capable system, and quite frankly, I have not been able to find an upgrade path with a fair cost:benefit ratio.

Please keep in mind I do not game, but do development primarily on this computer

Specs:
ATi 4850
Gigabyte P35-DDS3L
4gb Corsair XMS 800mhz DDR2 4-4-4-12
750gb primary disk, external 2x 400gb
E8400 @ 3.6ghz
HX520 PSU
Antec P182 case
2x 22" Dell monitors
Logitech MX Revolution mouse

I cannot for the life of me find anything of reasonable nature to do, but I have that "itch". right now the biggest item in my mind is a copy of Vista x64 Ultimate (I have a promotional copy of x86, no 64bit though) and another 4gb of RAM. But frankly, I'm then looking at ~$300 for 4gb of RAM, is that worthwhile? (I have never run 8gb RAM before).

Also tossing around the idea of picking up a pair of 24" LCDs over the 22" - side by side the difference is relatively marginal, and that becomes a $900 upgrade quickly :(

Last thought is a new sound card (on board now) and a proper amp to power my Sennheiser HD 555 headphones.

Any other thoughts? Anywhere of reasonable effort to go? I guess Quad core is also an option..

I think your list is fine. Going quad core would improve music/movie processing but the 2 extra cores will not help with the availiable videogames. The only little issue I would have is the Logitech MX revolution mouse. I had one of these and found it fustrating to use and angry because it broke (It was within 14 days so I returned it).

Nothing needs to be upgraded because it's already overkill.

If you're unhappy with the current onboard sound, then get a discrete sound card. If 2x22" isn't good enough, then get something bigger.

I agree with dhc014.

Also, why $300 for 4GB of RAM? You can get 4GB of RAM for $85 right now. :confused: Also, without a 64-bit OS, that extra RAM won't help you much.

That is EXACTLY why it would cost as such - I'd need a Vista x64 license to utilize the RAM, which is another $200. :)

Vista Ultimate is hardly worth its price, Home Premium probably has everything you need.

If you have a retail copy of 32-bit Vista, then the same Key can be used to install 64-bit Vista.

Vista Ultimate is hardly worth its price, Home Premium probably has everything you need.

If you have a retail copy of 32-bit Vista, then the same Key can be used to install 64-bit Vista.

That is EXACTLY what I was about to say, lol. ;) Well ok, not EXACTLY... but its the same point, lol. Home premium is much cheaper, only $110. $110 + 85 = $195... much less than $300. ;)

Acknowledged, though I do use a couple of the business features (nothing huge) for work purposes, which would be nice to have available.

I may go that route, may not - I'm just looking for anything I happen to be missing here.

edit: And no, my copy is a promotional copy which is 32bit only.

If you have a promo copy that's 32bit, you have a key. Downloading the 64bit ISO isn't illegal because you already have a valid license... go bittorrent, go!

Back