Any X1800XL owners out there?

Im having second thoughts about ordering this one tomorrow, I know Ill hit myself in the head real hard if theres an x1900 in the $300 area by the end of the month. :(

Nice score I built 2 systems with these Intel 650 O/C @ 4 ghz+ and all water cooled X1800Xl Water cooled stock . One of them is listed on the Orb 7700+ thats with a stock clocked GPU . I will install their O/C stuff with the next ati driver release. I don't believe they well break 9000 thow . I now were they can go but I won't allow that kind of O/C on a 5 year warranty. I am aiming for 8500 score. The orb really needs to fix its benchmarks as a lot of people are now using cheats to put up false numbers. I believe I seen an X1800xl there with a 10,000+ score not Xfired unless Xfire runs on nv M/Bs. A month ago A intel running at 32000ghz hit 20,000 with sli 6800's I bitched at the orb and they finely took it down.

On a side note, my ram chips don't actually have 1.4ns ram :( They are 2ns, but what amazes me more they were artifact free at 700mhz during 3dmark05, but after further testing they produced artifacts in FEAR. Ah well. I scored 8300 with the ram at 550 and core at 600, plenty happy with that. Haven't tried to find max mem yet, just put it on 550 as a conservative oc.

Hi,

How are you guys doing with the X1800XL + vf700 these days ? :p Im probably going to end up getting the vf700 cause the 900 model is gonna be crazy expensive. Do you guys think that by hitting the likes of 600/600 it would help my 1680x1050 gaming much ?

Juic3 said:
Hi,

How are you guys doing with the X1800XL + vf700 these days ? :p Im probably going to end up getting the vf700 cause the 900 model is gonna be crazy expensive. Do you guys think that by hitting the likes of 600/600 it would help my 1680x1050 gaming much ?

yes i did when i had it like last week. and 600/600 is ok i soppose.ur gonna need a differnt card to play with.

I'm also using ASUS EAX1800XL and can do 625~630/684 using 1.2/2.0/1.935V and 3dmark05 score around 9600~9650 :D using stock cooling + AS5
haven't got around to bench using 3dmark06 ;)

Anyone have issues with this card and Quake 4 MP ?
From day one this game has been buggy.
It will freeze or crash and the screen gets messed up and just locks up
probably once out of every 4-5 hours of playing.

This is with stock speeds !
Even OCd, I get unacceptable fps drops in MP so I turn the settings waaay down.
(1024x768 medium quality)
So ever since I got into the MP game I noticed the game will crash very reliably about once every 4-5 hours. I've used lower in game settings to help with fps
and it still crashes. Never had an issue in any other games, including FEAR.

I never had problems playing the SP game with 1280x1024 high quality X2 AA X4 HQ AF
but it crashes in MP at 1024x768 medium w/ stock clocks every once in a while.

Everytime it's crashed it was in the middle of some insane fight.
I remember reading some other person's post about this happening right when Q4 came out. I didn't really get into the MP until about a month ago. :confused:

I suspect it must be some kind of bug ? Maybe they were a little too aggresive with that driver revision tweaking the ring bus memory controller ?

Stereophile said:
Anyone have issues with this card and Quake 4 MP ?
From day one this game has been buggy.
It will freeze or crash and the screen gets messed up and just locks up
probably once out of every 4-5 hours of playing.

This is with stock speeds !
Even OCd, I get unacceptable fps drops in MP so I turn the settings waaay down.
(1024x768 medium quality)
So ever since I got into the MP game I noticed the game will crash very reliably about once every 4-5 hours. I've used lower in game settings to help with fps
and it still crashes. Never had an issue in any other games, including FEAR.

I never had problems playing the SP game with 1280x1024 high quality X2 AA X4 HQ AF
but it crashes in MP at 1024x768 medium w/ stock clocks every once in a while.

Everytime it's crashed it was in the middle of some insane fight.
I remember reading some other person's post about this happening right when Q4 came out. I didn't really get into the MP until about a month ago. :confused:

I suspect it must be some kind of bug ? Maybe they were a little too aggresive with that driver revision tweaking the ring bus memory controller ?

Not too long ago my x1800xl was fine at a Quake 4 lan party and 0 problems.

Juic3 said:
Not too long ago my x1800xl was fine at a Quake 4 lan party and 0 problems.

How long were you playing it straight for ?
Sometimes mine will go 3-4 hours without problems.
And then Bam ! The screen will freeze for 2-3 seconds. Sometimes it recovers,
sometimes the screen just goes gobbly goop and the comp locks up.

It does this at stock speeds !!!! Only game I have this problem with.
I don't think it's temps. I've never seen my GPU get above 80 and that's supposed to
be well within spec for this card. And if I have the fan speed at 75-100% the temp barely gets into the low 70s. :confused:

my buddy has an X1800XL stock everything, played Q4 for ~8 hours straight no hitches.

Ok, I got my BBA with 1.4ns RAM, to 605/650 1.175V on Gpu Core and stock volts on RAM, I should be getting more of my RAM right ?

How much voltage should I put in the RAM and Buffers ?

621/621 @ 1.25 core, 1.9 mem and untouch (1.887?) for the other one.

VF700CU, it is not noisy at 12v (well not totally silent either but I am quite fussy!).

It's drowned out by the so-called SilenX 14db (my ass, cheating averaging numbers) 120mm fan anyway.

Temps are ~45c idle and 70-75 load. Never saw them over 80c anyway. Way better than stock cooling.

I'm sure it would do more with some more core volts but I've just sold the system so no more playing until the buyer says he needs more speed. ;)

nemesis.ie said:
621/621 @ 1.25 core, 1.9 mem and untouch (1.887?) for the other one.

VF700CU, it is not noisy at 12v (well not totally silent either but I am quite fussy!).

It's drowned out by the so-called SilenX 14db (my ass, cheating averaging numbers) 120mm fan anyway.

Temps are ~45c idle and 70-75 load. Never saw them over 80c anyway. Way better than stock cooling.

I'm sure it would do more with some more core volts but I've just sold the system so no more playing until the buyer says he needs more speed. ;)

Yeah pretty happy with my zalman here, gettin kinda same temps as you :)

Doing as high as 1.3V on the core wont help, so I called it quits at 605, Im using the vf700 at 5v though, 12v is a bit too loud for me :)

but i finally got my ram to go up to 700mhz with 2.2 volts and its runs artifact free, but my core will only do 595 on stock voltage, if i increase the voltage it freezes, any suggestions to make that stop?

Willseyvilleny said:
but i finally got my ram to go up to 700mhz with 2.2 volts and its runs artifact free, but my core will only do 595 on stock voltage, if i increase the voltage it freezes, any suggestions to make that stop?

You do have both Ati services off right ?

Willseyvilleny said:
whenever i increase the core voltage its fine til i do 2d view then it locks up

I would say that you hit the top ? Mine wouldnt go above 605 and 1.3v no matter what.

Wow...very similar to my card Powercolor X1800XL...
max 3d05 is 96xx.
Cooler is FS-V7. My card at 625/684 not very stable for long period...

bayuap said:
I'm also using ASUS EAX1800XL and can do 625~630/684 using 1.2/2.0/1.935V and 3dmark05 score around 9600~9650 :D using stock cooling + AS5
haven't got around to bench using 3dmark06 ;)

firemark said:
Wow...very similar to my card Powercolor X1800XL...
max 3d05 is 96xx.
Cooler is FS-V7. My card at 625/684 not very stable for long period...

I'm still waiting for the Arctic Cooling Accelero X2 to get here, and once available will try to raise the mem to around 700+ :D

ironforge said:
How close is an OC'd 1800XL compared to a stock 1800XT?

If you're talking about the 256mb version XT it's very, very close.
I don't think you could even notice the difference unless you're running benchmarks.
Even against the 512mb I think the difference would be small except for 16x12 and high filtering which neither card is capable of in the newest games i.e. FEAR, OBL.

Stock XL Stock XT

Shader Operations 8000 10000 Operations/sec
Pixel Fill Rate 8000 10000 MPixels/sec
Texture Fill Rate 8000 10000 MTexels/sec
Vertex Operations 1000 1250 MVertices/sec

OC'd my card is something like 9600 Operations/sec
9600 MPixels/sec
9600 MTexels/sec
1200 MVertices/sec

because they use tighter timings on the ram usually faster, mine holds right up there with an x1800xt in almost all games i think quake iv in ultra is the only exception, and its for sale since i jsut ordered an x1900xt

Willseyvilleny said:
because they use tighter timings on the ram usually faster, mine holds right up there with an x1800xt in almost all games i think quake iv in ultra is the only exception, and its for sale since i jsut ordered an x1900xt

I struggled with the idea of selling my XL for an x19XT, but in the end I decided to see if the XT's price will drop further when the next ATi revision comes out instead.

I'm only running at 600/600 and everything is pretty good except for the noise cause I haven't removed the stock cooler yet (just got a new case and don't want to do anything until I find a reservoir I like).

A few of you mentioned watching TV on your rig with an AIW X1800XL. I had one and they work well,
however the filter in the Theater 550 pro product blows them away. It's a much better image. I'd advise
something like the Powercolor product which works very well with MCE 2005. Some of the cards
will work with Win XP SP-2 as well. Yes I own one.

My whole system:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+(2.76)|G.Skill 2GB PC-4000 HZ (3-4-4-8 1T)
EPoX 9NPA3 Ultra(nForce4)|ATi Radeon X1900 XTX|WD Raptor
74GB HD(x2)|NEC ND-3550A DVD|Powercolor Theater 550 Pro
Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 2.0|PC P&C 510 SLi|Windows XP MCE 2005

Sapphire also makes one and they range from near 70usd to just under 100 dollars.

Powercolor even has one you can use in a PCI-e slot if you prefer that. Some at the Egg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...tk=all&N=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=7&Go.y=35

Back