Anybody else feel compelled to own a quad G5?

Thud

Limp Gawd
I don't even need one, since I'm so heavily invested in my Windoze digital audio workstation, but dammit... I just want to own a quad G5.

Maybe there's a dual-core Intel Mac Mini in my future instead. That'll make me feel better.

That is all.

Black Morty Rackham said:
If I had about $6000 or so burning a hole in my pocket, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Agreed. When I buy a mac, I want the top of the line... I hope when they go Intel there are still quad-cores.

Me thinks a Quad is in my future. All I need is for my tax refund to hurry up so I can sell my Dual and buy one...

NulloModo said:
Agreed. When I buy a mac, I want the top of the line... I hope when they go Intel there are still quad-cores.
When the Power Macs go Intel, there had better be octo-core systems!

Centauri, I hate you. Sooooo much. ;) Here I am with a single-CPU Power Mac and an iBook... ;)

When the Power Macs go Intel, there had better be octo-core systems!

Centauri, I hate you. Sooooo much. ;) Here I am with a single-CPU Power Mac and an iBook... ;)

Maybe I should wait...

ugh, it is so frustrating sitting on top of $25,000 in grad school cash, knowing I should save it, and having so many things to spend it on....

NulloModo said:
Maybe I should wait...

ugh, it is so frustrating sitting on top of $25,000 in grad school cash, knowing I should save it, and having so many things to spend it on....

LOL! Man I'd be thinking the saaaaame things. The best thing to do is pay off/use it for grad school. Once you are done you will be so thankful that you did. Spend it now and you'll owe what you spent PLUS all that interest later.

I have a quad 2.5 with 4GB ram sitting on my desk at work.

It's a nice machine, but not worth the pricetag IMHO. It is nice to have a compile running with -j2, qemu running windows XP, playing streaming audio, and I can still work in InDesign and Photoshop without much(if any) slowdown. If you're a home user, and are going to play games, use office apps, and browse the web then you'd have to have more money than brains to buy something like that. Buy a lower model, and put the extra money into a pair of nice monitors, a nice audio system, wireless desktop accessories, more memory, or more storage.

I'd love to have one, but I couldn't justify the money. I'd rather go wild on maxing out a 17" PowerBook (once they get Core Duo processors, that is). A dual-core desktop replacement that both looks good and weighs less than 7 pounds? Yes please. :)

I'm seriously thinking about getting one. One Quad G5 that is. Paired with a 30" cinema display it will be my video-editing station. Has anyone experience with Final Cut Express HD? Should I go for the Pro or are the differences only on the extreme high-end?

Anyways, if I buy this monstrosity, I'll use it to make money. :D

Anyways, if I buy this monstrosity, I'll use it to make money.
I think this is the main difference between the "I'd love to have one, but I don't want to buy one" people, and the "I'm trying to save up the money for one" people. ;)

I have FCP HD 4.5 and I would have gotten Express if I had to do it all over again. Assuming I paid full price for it - I get almost all my software offa ebay for cheap.

I admit, I was thinking about replacing my G4 server with one of these...just cuz I want one. The G4 actually serves my needs well. I think I'll wait for 10.5 to see where I'll go, but I think I may get a mactel mini though :D

I am so torn, I would rather have a PPC mac than an Intel one, just because I think the PPC is cooler, well, and different... but I halfway want to wait to see how the Intel macs perform in comparison, and see if they drop the prices on used PPC macs.

The Intel Power Macs are still probably a year and a half away...

I don't require a powermac, just any mac, just want one to play with. A powermac would obviously be the coolest, especially a duallie or quad... but unless the prices start to plummet with the intel macs hit the market, it isn't happening.

Back