Anybody having difficulty FINDING a QX6800?

Providence

Limp Gawd
You'd think it's not even out. Finally decided on a processor (See: my only other topic on this board) and since I want to do gaming AND encoding state-of-the-art, I think the QX6800 would be a good choice.

But, uh...Ebay doesn't have one (as of this post) Newegg doesn't have one....am I missing something here?

You'd think it's not even out. Finally decided on a processor (See: my only other topic on this board) and since I want to do gaming AND encoding state-of-the-art, I think the QX6800 would be a good choice.

But, uh...Ebay doesn't have one (as of this post) Newegg doesn't have one....am I missing something here?

Currently, they are only out for system builders.

Oohhh, thanks, saw the release date everywhere, didn't see anything about that.

From what I have read and heard they are requiring water cooling solution, so only system builders are getting them. They are also only being released in a small quantity.

From what I have read and heard they are requiring water cooling solution, so only system builders are getting them. They are also only being released in a small quantity.

Why when they run cooler than the older Q6700?

They do? This is not a new die or die shrunk processor. It is exactly the same as the 2.4/2.66GHz quad cores, just clocked at 2.93GHz.

I've heard the same but if that were true as we have been led to believe, I doubt the overclockers here would have been able to dwarf the standard settings we have seen other brave souls and their quad core processors. That excuse they gave us is probably because they didn't produce enough of them.

The reason I'm after this one is because I love Micro ATX and the only good board I could find was the GIGABYTE GA-965GM-S2 which pretends to have overclockability but really doesn't. ie you can change everything in bios and it means nothing in the real world.

So, if I dont want to upgrade for a while, I am forced to look at the QX6800.

Well I was looking for them since the public release... however, they are no where to be found.

Intel announced that they are availible but system integrators gets first dibs... they said there won't be many... I didn't know they would be that litteral about it.... there are none for us.

Anyways, in June they are scrapping it in favor of the QX6850 which will have 1333FSB and a ton of other improvements. So this QX6800 was meant to be a short 2 month life processor to satisfy the system integrators.

I grabbed a Q6600 and am waiting for June for the QX6850 when it is actually availible to the public.

Well I was looking for them since the public release... however, they are no where to be found.

Intel announced that they are availible but system integrators gets first dibs... they said there won't be many... I didn't know they would be that litteral about it.... there are none for us.

Anyways, in June they are scrapping it in favor of the QX6850 which will have 1333FSB and a ton of other improvements. So this QX6800 was meant to be a short 2 month life processor to satisfy the system integrators.

I grabbed a Q6600 and am waiting for June for the QX6850 when it is actually availible to the public.

If thats true I'll wait.

I only hope Intel and ATI don't share marketing depeartments :D

one question though, is this going to require a new mobo?

Back