Anybody seen a 7970 for sale in US yet?

I've been checking Newegg and it doesn't seem like it's going to trickle in.

Hopefully in volume on January 9th.

Patience. You have to learn patience.

Yup.

I really don't care one way or the other......I was just curious.:p

I'm going to wait for the 7990 anyway, I'm good for a while as it stands.

Google shop will bring up 2 stores. One is selling for $620 and won't have stock until the 8th or 9th. The other store claims to have some in stock right now charges the same for the card but $RAPE$ for shipping so it'd bring it up to $670+ tax to get 3 day shipping for most places. 2 day brings it up to $700, overnight raises the price to $740 or so without tax.

I have the cash but the default price is already a little too high for me really. Gonna hold off until the sellers quit price gouging.

I'm disappointed with product availability. If the card isn't ready to be sold then I don't see the point of having such an early official release of the performance of the card along with the price. Seems like last year when the 6970 released there was immediate limited product availability. Makes me think the early release is just to generate some AMD stock sales. Don't like the pricing of the card or the way the release is rolling out so far. I think NVIDIA has a fair shot of beating HD7970 performance.

I hope people are patient and wait for the price to come down or to see how NVIDIA's new 28nm cards compare.

Its christmas eve tomorrow. I bet you will be able to find it at a lot of places on the 26th or 27th.

I'm disappointed with product availability. If the card isn't ready to be sold then I don't see the point of having such an early official release of the performance of the card along with the price. Seems like last year when the 6970 released there was immediate limited product availability. Makes me think the early release is just to generate some AMD stock sales. Don't like the pricing of the card or the way the release is rolling out so far. I think NVIDIA has a fair shot of beating HD7970 performance.

I hope people are patient and wait for the price to come down or to see how NVIDIA's new 28nm cards compare.

True. AMD just wants to be able to claim they had flagship 28nm silicon in 2011. This is nothing either company hasn't done before, however.

True. AMD just wants to be able to claim they had flagship 28nm silicon in 2011. This is nothing either company hasn't done before, however.

Well considering AMD said they would release the new card in Q1 2012...

Well thats in 8 days?

How about we stop speculating and read the real reason for the early reviews straight from the horses mouth:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1608277&postcount=1971
Dave Baumann said:
...this is largely driven by the timing relative to the holiday period. With both product shipping now and samples having to go to press pre-Christmas leaving that amount of time was bound to create leaks and some reviews going early; this thread over the last week or so is a testiment to the lack of respect over embargo material given to certain parties, leaving it another 2 weeks would have been a lot worse in that respect.

Well considering AMD said they would release the new card in Q1 2012...

Well thats in 8 days?

Ya well, it's all about hype. I'm sure they would have rather had the card ready for Christmas. However for that, you've got to have it on shelves no later than end of November, and preferably at the beginning. So they couldn't meet that (or rather TSMC couldn't). Next best thing? Hype it around Christmas. Announce it, get everyone buzzing and wanting one after the new year.

Ya well, it's all about hype. I'm sure they would have rather had the card ready for Christmas. However for that, you've got to have it on shelves no later than end of November, and preferably at the beginning. So they couldn't meet that (or rather TSMC couldn't). Next best thing? Hype it around Christmas. Announce it, get everyone buzzing and wanting one after the new year.

Totally agree with you.

Of course im not sure how much money people will have after spending money on Chrismas.

I know I might be hurting a bit lol

nothing wrong with that.. but paper launches like these are the norm.

I'd say don't tie up your money on a site you've never heard of before with a pre-order.

Odds are they'll pop on Newegg before any guys with pre-orders on obscure sites ever see them.

I'll be waiting a while myself because I want a custom version like the Asus DirectCU II or MSI Lightning.

Mostly for the quiet efficient coolers. I don't expect those to be ready to go on the 9th. If they are, I'll grab one.

I'm not replacing my OCed GTX 580 in my Intel rig. I'll be replacing the 6870 in my AMD rig with a 7970.

Last edited:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Beyond 3D Forum:

And this is largely driven by the timing relative to the holiday period. With both product shipping now and samples having to go to press pre-Christmas leaving that amount of time was bound to create leaks and some reviews going early; this thread over the last week or so is a testiment to the lack of respect over embargo material given to certain parties, leaving it another 2 weeks would have been a lot worse in that respect.

So letting people speculate for another 2 weeks would have done what there, Dave?
Would the GPU have become less capable?

Thats just whining because AMD cant control their reviewers.
The motivation here is purely buzz, nothing more.

I never could understand putting out review product before the retail was ready anyway, but AMD/ATI is notorious for this kind of thing.

As it stands, there is nothing out currently that the 580 or 6970 cant handle anyway.

Like I said......7990 is going to be the card to have anyway.

HoHoHo.:D

How about we stop speculating and read the real reason for the early reviews straight from the horses mouth:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1608277&postcount=1971

I don't buy that excuse. They did not even have enough cards to send out for crossfire reviews. They clearly wanted to paper launch this early for whatever reason. Otherwise they could have waited to send out cards until they had at least enough to send 2. Which also does not bode well for availability anytime soon.

They get slammed for NOT giving out any BD stuff early for reviews. Now they get some cards into reviewers hands two weeks before they promise anything and people are still upset. I don't understand you people.

By no means am I an AMD fanboy in the least (I currently own nothing AMD), but jesus christ, they can't win regardless of what they do with some of you.

I'm with the last guy. This is completely realistic.
Think about all the leaks leading up to the 22nd, we just about knew everything about the cards before the embargo was up. Benchies were leaked, stats, everything. Whats the point then? Makes sense.

So you have to wait a week...
Big deal.

They get slammed for NOT giving out any BD stuff early for reviews. Now they get some cards into reviewers hands two weeks before they promise anything and people are still upset. I don't understand you people.

By no means am I an AMD fanboy in the least (I currently own nothing AMD), but jesus christ, they can't win regardless of what they do with some of you.

This....

I'm disappointed with the price they are asking. The only one I will even consider now is the 7950, but that also depends on the price.

Funny how they keep the 7950 price a secret. I'm not sure yet, but may even skip this series of card due to the price. My 6950 is still plenty fast enough.

There is also the fact that had they waited until after Christmas, their announcement would have been lost in the hell that is CES.

You have more "impact" announcing something alone than you do announcing something with a few hundred other people.

I'm disappointed with the price they are asking. The only one I will even consider now is the 7950, but that also depends on the price.

7950 will likely be $400-450. Vs the competition's offerings this is still technically a good deal but the prices are still much higher than we're used to expecting from AMD. FWIW there are some interesting posts on the B3D forums that talk about this and it seems that the 79xx series GPUs and cards are simply more expensive to produce so the price would be higher no matter what.

Also there is this to consider from B3D:

Interesting, I thought that the 6900-series would be die-shrunk to 28nm and be re-badged as the 7800-series. Looks like those older rumors were wrong.

After looking into it a bit more, the lower end (mainstream and budget) 6000-series VLIW4-based GPUs will be re-badged 7600-series and lower. Starting with Cape Verde (Radeon 7770) and up are all GCN-based. :D

The 7770 looks like it's going to be a very good lower mid-range (mainstream) card if going by that price and the performance we've seen out of GCN architecture based on the 7970's review. But, the upper mid-range 7850 and 7870, and maybe even the 7890, will probably be the most popular for a good majority of people if going by the previous 6800-series cards.

I'm sure others will be waiting patiently for the 1.5 GB or 3 GB 7950-series cards to come out. Those are pretty good prices.

Hm, interesting. Here's to hoping they make a 9.5" 78xx card! I really have no desire to spend $400 on a card, but I'm thinking around $200-250 will be what I'll be looking for... which I figured should be enough for a 2GB 7850/7870.

I don't buy that excuse. They did not even have enough cards to send out for crossfire reviews. They clearly wanted to paper launch this early for whatever reason. Otherwise they could have waited to send out cards until they had at least enough to send 2. Which also does not bode well for availability anytime soon.

Hope your palms aren't sweaty, otherwise those straws you're grasping at will just slip through. :)

I'm sure others will be waiting patiently for the 1.5 GB or 3 GB 7950-series cards to come out. Those are pretty good prices.

An unlockable 7950 1.5GB will be pretty awesome value.

Last edited:
From what I have read only cards with new GCN architecture will be 79xx cards. All below radeon cards will be rebadged die shrinks of current radeon 69xx architecture which should perform great for low power draw high Performance gaming.

From what I have read only cards with new GCN architecture will be 79xx cards. All below radeon cards will be rebadged die shrinks of current radeon 69xx architecture which should perform great for low power draw high Performance gaming.

I've read that too but I keep seeing Pitcairn and Cape Verde pop up. I know Cape Verde is for sure Radeon 7770:
If that's Cape Verde, where does Pitcairn fit in? We know that New Zealand is the 7990. The Tahiti Pro is the 7950. The Tahiti, Pitcairn, and Cape Verde plus New Zealand are all GCN-based cards. Another article, which I have to find again, states that 7600-series and lower are 28nm VLIW4-based cards.

Wonder which one is true then?

ill probably skip the 7 series. My 6870 is more than enough for me. sure is tempting though.

I would have a hard time going down in RAM... 7950 at 1.5 GB ram for that price is not appealing :(

Also there is this to consider from B3D:

I was hoping to pick up a HD 7990 or GTX 690...but not for $850, that's ridiculous. I thought paying $730 for my GTX 590 was a bit extreme, I'm not going to pay 15-20% more. What happened to more reasonable GPU prices?

that doesn't even make sense.

that doesn't even make sense.

GCN is for big powerful computing while old architecture was more designed for gaming.

Without getting unnecessarily deep into the differences between VLIW and non-VLIW (we’ll save that for another time), the difference in the architectures is about what VLIW does poorly for GPU computing purposes, and why a non-VLIW SIMD fixes it. The principal issue is that VLIW is hard to schedule ahead of time and there’s no dynamic scheduling during execution, and as a result the bulk of its weaknesses follow from that. As VLIW5 was a good fit for graphics, it was rather easy to efficiently compile and schedule shaders under those circumstances. With compute this isn’t always the case; there’s simply a wider range of things going on and it’s difficult to figure out what instructions will play nicely with each other. Only a handful of tasks such as brute force hashing thrive under this architecture.

From here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4455/amds-graphics-core-next-preview-amd-architects-for-compute/3

+1
People just can't stop whining about the smallest BS.

7950 looks tasty.

Heres to hoping its unlockable like the 6950 was...:D

Back