Anyone believe the info on G92

Tripp17

Gawd
Ok, ive seen a few performance reviews on the upcomming mainstream part formally known as the G92. Its gonna cost about 250 bucks and from what ive seen, it gets about 11,400 in 3dmark 2006. I personally own a 8800GTX and i have the card clocked at 640 core, 1500 shaders, and 2020 for the memory and with that in mind i score about 11,800 in 3dmark 06. Now, ive heard its a single slot graphics card(meaning no dual slot fan cooling it) and that it also is lacking in the shader units.....it has 64 compaired to 128 in GTX/Ultras. So, what do people think? Is it true? Will a 250 mainstream card beat out the GTX and nearly tie the Ultra? My theory is that it will do great in some applications while it wont be up to par with even a 8800GTS in others as a result of only having 64 shader units. Im curious to see what others may know and if the info ive read is total bs or accurate.

The major hardware sites who are posting these rumours have been both right and egregiously wrong in the past. It's possible that all the "insider information" is true, and it is equally likely that it's all bullshit. Take everything you see with a grain of salt until an official announcement is made.

There's simply no way nVidia would release a brand new card with the same name as an existing card. I can only remember one time that's ever happened with video cards (the X1900 GT) and it was an ATI card. On that basis, I call shenanigans on the rumors that have been floating around. The 8800 GT stuff is possible, but it comes from the same source as the G92 8800 GTS nonsense, so we'll see.

Well when you talk 3DMark06 scores, you also have to talk about the CPU since it impacts the overall score quite a bit. Example my GTX with slightly lower overclock than yours scores 13,000 and I think that is due to my 3.68GHz CPU overclock. Quad cores can skew it even more.

I think people REALLY want this to be a high end card, it's been a long wait for a GTX/Ultra replacement. But I just don't think this card is gonna be quite that good. It's really just my guess. Sounds like we'll have to wait until Q1/08 for the GTX/Ultra killer. And I really hope it isn't a dual GPU/PCB card like the 7 series GX2.

i hope its accurate because that means nvidias next high end will soon occupy a space in my slut.

no, my computers name is slut.:D i mean everyone names their cars so naming my computer seemed appropriate.

no, my computers name is slut.:D i mean everyone names their cars so naming my computer seemed appropriate.

Good Idea, I naming my main rig "mistress" cause the wife is always getting jealous of it.

Back to topic, I dont believe nvidia would cannibalize their GTX/ultra unless another high-end part is coming out as well. You got to look at it from a business/money standpoint, nvidia and amd arent non-profits looking out for our gaming needs They're businesses first, which means they exist to make money and turn a profit.

Uhhh... the info we have better be true. I already put money down on a pre-order of the U2 edition :mad:

Ok, ive seen a few performance reviews on the upcomming mainstream part formally known as the G92. Its gonna cost about 250 bucks and from what ive seen, it gets about 11,400 in 3dmark 2006. I personally own a 8800GTX and i have the card clocked at 640 core, 1500 shaders, and 2020 for the memory and with that in mind i score about 11,800 in 3dmark 06. Now, ive heard its a single slot graphics card(meaning no dual slot fan cooling it) and that it also is lacking in the shader units.....it has 64 compaired to 128 in GTX/Ultras. So, what do people think? Is it true? Will a 250 mainstream card beat out the GTX and nearly tie the Ultra? My theory is that it will do great in some applications while it wont be up to par with even a 8800GTS in others as a result of only having 64 shader units. Im curious to see what others may know and if the info ive read is total bs or accurate.

Not exactly accurate, since latest rumors, point to the fact that the 8800 GT has 112 SPs and a 256 bit memory bus, so it should, in most cases, be faster than the existing 8800 GTS 320. A new version of the 8800 GTS 640 will also debut, with some similarities to existing 8800 GTXs/Ultras i.e. 128 SPs and faster clocks, than existing reference GTS 640. A new high-end will appear (hopefully this year), that will replace the GTX and the Ultra definitely. The 1 TeraFLOP card, we've heard from NVIDIA itself.

man i liking my GTX. with my old 2900 XT and my cpu at its regular 3.16ghz using 8xaa + 16xaf i twould drop down to high 30's in TF2. currently cpu is at 1.86ghz with the gtx and using Super Sample 8x TMSAA + 16xaf it never drop below 40FPS, most times around 65. im real am glad i stuck with my 19" LCD 1280x1024. i can turn up all the eye candy and still get smooth fps. i wonder if 16x SSTMSAA will be doable once i get my CPU back up???? also, i doubt i will be upgrading anytime soon unless a better game than TF2 comes out, cuz the way it looks like TF2 will the only game ill be playing for years to come. crysis mp doesnt interest me, ut3 looks nice, but unless it acutally looks like all the so callled "offical screenshots", i wont be buying it. yes, im an eye candy whore/slut, whatever. cod4 actually was pretty fun too, but i have zero in interest in its mp. and there is like nothing decent coming out in 2008, in fact it looks like 2008 will the most dead time for PC games.

Good Idea, I naming my main rig "mistress" cause the wife is always getting jealous of it.

I'm in the same boat as you...except mines "china girl" then I told that to her...talk about hellfire and brimstone that came afterward, gezzz

Not exactly accurate, since latest rumors, point to the fact that the 8800 GT has 112 SPs and a 256 bit memory bus, so it should, in most cases, be faster than the existing 8800 GTS 320. A new version of the 8800 GTS 640 will also debut, with some similarities to existing 8800 GTXs/Ultras i.e. 128 SPs and faster clocks, than existing reference GTS 640. A new high-end will appear (hopefully this year), that will replace the GTX and the Ultra definitely. The 1 TeraFLOP card, we've heard from NVIDIA itself.

Yes, i have heard this too. I actually just read that it will feature 112SPs with a 256 bit memory bus. I have to say though that i get almost no improvements in performance when i overclock my SPs on my GTX(1350 to 1600ish) so i wonder about the performance decrease from a few missing shaders. Although im sure some apps heavily rely on them, like fear for instance. I will say that if all the rumors are true and a 250 dollar card will come very close to the top end cards that the new high end should be off the hook. Ive also heard abouyt the 1 teraflop monster.......impressive if true. I wonder what its power requirments will be! Im thinking that the new highend will be on 65nm and clocked pretty damn high with a true 512bit memory bus, that alone would net some major performance increases let alone a new arcitecture.

if the 8800 GT only has 24 tmus and 20 rops like the GTS, it will not compete with the GTX/Ultra cards, which have 32/24. no one knows though.

Well when you talk 3DMark06 scores, you also have to talk about the CPU since it impacts the overall score quite a bit. Example my GTX with slightly lower overclock than yours scores 13,000 and I think that is due to my 3.68GHz CPU overclock. Quad cores can skew it even more.

Exactly--if the posted 3DM06 results are genuine, you have to factor in the machine specs shown, which include a quad-core at 3.6 GHz. Still, nice scores for an affordable card.

Absolutely not.
Lots of these sites have said some very interesting things, but none of them are able to cite any sources. No one can show us any pics(except for the exact same 3d rendered pic).

What you gotta realize is how these sites work. They make money off advertising. How do you make more? You increase site traffic. How do you increase site traffic? Post up some BS G92 story and every single hardware forum will be all over it.

Keep it simple stupid
Fallow the development cycle of Nvidia in the past...heck, even look at ATi.
Nvidia wont hold back a new high end just because the 2900 was a flop, they will do what will make them the most money, they will extend their lead with a new high end.
People think Nvidia has been doing nothing over the past year except for simply making the low and and then overclocked models? You all think the R&D department just went on vacation? Common.
With new games, and the holiday spending season, releasing a new high end card in the next month or two is the smartest thing to do.

Anyone who thinks that Nvidia will release yet another mid range card is out of their mind.
And anyone who belives that Nvidia will release a $250 card that runs like the GTX is batshit insane.

I gaurentee you all that this 8800GT single slot card that we keep seeing is a total farce.

lol, i call mine the 'other' girlfriend for the same reason.

BackOT:

Whereas the rumours from six months ago pointed to a new mid-range with 64 SPU's the rumours today sem to be settling on a 8800GT product with 96/112 SPU's.

>If< this is true then you can bet your life that there will be a higher-end product with a GTS/GTX name and 128 SPU's, because NO-ONE makes a GPU with such an odd number of functional units!

if the product were that hard to manufacture that they could never get all the SPU's working, and thus only sell SKU's with 112 of the 128 SPU's functioning I am certain that nVidia would already have binned the product and gone for a re-spin.

So, if there is to be a 96/112 SPU GT then there will also inevitably be a 128 SPU GTS/GTX.

It kind of makes sense for a Q1 2008 high-end product contructed from a dual G92 GPU SKU in time to have something ready for the AMD 700 series.

Some minor details like naming and final clock speed may shift because NV will be adjusting till near release. As far as 3dmark scores well those are problematic for reasons already mentioned.

But the core truth is there. G92 will be faster and cheaper than 8800GTS 320mb and most likely be here in November to battle a similarly equipped RV670.

I would rate the certainty higher than 80% on this. People who doubt it because they don't trust vr-zone/fudzilla are confusing the messenger with the message. These sites just report whatever semi-credible rumor they find. It is up to you to engage your brain and separate the wheat from the chaff.

This is wheat.

I gaurentee you all that this 8800GT single slot card that we keep seeing is a total
farce.

It's not. It exists, but the high-end replacement, is still coming of course.

If the rumored release date is Oct 29th, shouldnt we be hearing something from nVidia like... beginning of next week? I have a feeling next week is going to come and go with no word, and next monday is going to come and go with no release. Of course now that i said that, something will be mentioned later today...

It's not. It exists, but the high-end replacement, is still coming of course.
high end
Show me creditable proof.
Show me something with a source.
Show me a pic of it running in a system.

Honestly, if I were a simpler man, I would just accept the idea that Nvidia gives out top secret sample cards to fly-by-night rumor sites who always have "leaked info"...yet respected sites get nothing....hmmm

I think im still gonna stick to G92 being 1TF in Nov even though its not :rolleyes::p:):cool::eek::confused::eek:GoldenTiger:(:);):cool::eek::eek::rolleyes: approved.

high end

Honestly, if I were a simpler man, I would just accept the idea that Nvidia gives out top secret sample cards to fly-by-night rumor sites who always have "leaked info"...yet respected sites get nothing....hmmm

I was also looking for an official annoucement, but this other thread had this link:
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/GraphicCards/detail_spec.aspx?ID=en-us0000048

This is by far the most credible source, unless that is a fake URL ;-)

We were all wrong, not G92 but G96 for the 8800GT

GPU&#65306; NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT
Core&#65306; G96
CoreClock&#65306; 600MHz
Pixel Pipeline&#65306;
Vertex Pipeline&#65306;
RAMDACs&#65306; 400MHz
Memory Type&#65306; GDDR3
Memory Size&#65306; 512MB
Memory Clock&#65306; 1800MHz
Memory Interface&#65306; 256bit
Graphics Bus Technology&#65306; PCI Express x16, Gen 2.0
Cooler&#65306; Fansink
Connectors&#65306; DL DVI-I + DL DVI-I + HDTV
Special Features&#65306; Full DirectX 10 Shader Model 4.0 Support
PCI Express 2.0
Full HDCP Support
16x Anti-aliasing Technology
128-bit High Dynamic-Range Lighting
Essential for Windows Vista™

I love that last line "Essential for Windows Vista" lol what a crock of marketing bull.

high end

I think its really, nvidia leaks rumors to these trash-sites, to keep everyone talking about what they want to see or wish is coming out. Then use all the free market research to redesign their products around, and at the same time keep the hype cooking.

I think its really, nvidia leaks rumors to these trash-sites, to keep everyone talking about what they want to see or wish is coming out. Then use all the free market research to redesign their products around, and at the same time keep the hype cooking.

Yeah they are like playing one big practical joke giving every different site different info.

Or maybe the rumor sites aren't getting enough hits (ad revenue) for their liking so they repeat anything at all that people say about new cards, be it based off forum posts or "leaked" info.

Tom's "exclusive" photo is the exact same one that the mobile site had, which is the exact same one that XXX and YYY site have.. they also just make up #s and other sites take them as "fact".

Tom's "exclusive" photo is the exact same one that the mobile site had, which is the exact same one that XXX and YYY site have.. they also just make up #s and other sites take them as "fact".

The foxxconn picture is a new one and that is practically as good as an announcement on NVidias front page, as they are clearly manufacturing 8800GT cards.

The 8800GT is real and will be here soon. By now it should be more a question of how anyone can not believe the 8800GT info.

The foxxconn picture is a new one and that is practically as good as an announcement on NVidias front page, as they are clearly manufacturing 8800GT cards.

The 8800GT is real and will be here soon. By now it should be more a question of how anyone can not believe the 8800GT info.

I was commenting on the rumor sites not the official one. Notice how they claimed it was G92 even with "pictures" of it stated G92 while its actually G96? :p

hehe G92 = high end. just like people like me or should i say nvidia themselves, have said since May conference call. :)

I was commenting on the rumor sites not the official one. Notice how they claimed it was G92 even with "pictures" of it stated G92 while its actually G96? :p

And that changes things how? The design of the card/cooler is clearly identical to the early leaked images that had the self proclaimed know-it-alls crying fake.

If you are capable of sorting the common elements from the rumors, the info was clear and credible. 8800GT 256 bit/ cheaper faster than 8800GTS 320mb, here in November.

And that changes things how? The design of the card/cooler is clearly identical to the early leaked images that had the self proclaimed know-it-alls crying fake.

If you are capable of sorting the common elements from the rumors, the info was clear and credible. 8800GT 256 bit/ cheaper faster than 8800GTS 320mb, here in November.

Because faking a picture still makes the picture fake, even if it was originally taken from a real object.

They modified the images a ton, you can tell that the lighting is off in all of them. Plus Tom's had pictures of the "core" stating it was "G92", with very fake looking text. That still makes the picture a fake even if the original core was a true product that was altered.

So they were BSing to get people to visit their sites.

Well, its looking like a realease is gonna happen on the 29th of this month......maybe. I will say that if its a gts with 256 memory bandwith but on a 65nm core, than power requirments should be much lower which equals less heat and higher overclocks. What i want is a high end monster on a 65nm core, die shrinks can do wonders for hot cores.

I don't play games in 3DMark06 test resolutions. Let us know how it performs at 1680x1050x32 and we'll have something.

But a $250 card beating a $550 card?

I took Economics in college and I can't recall the chapter that covered that type of marketing plan.

well if the 8800 GT does infact come close to a GTX then overnight the GTX will go from $500 to ~$250.

I thought pci-e 2.0 was supposed to be a 32x slot? Am i misinformed or is that just what they have it running at. Also I plan on buying a new rig fairly shortly... should I be looking into a pci-e 2.0 mobo... What kinds of PCI-E 2.0 mobos exist??? It seems kind of unnessecary I don't see how they're possibily using all of the bandwidth on pcie... Will these cards run on PCI-E??

Back