Anyone else have the hots for the Mac Pro?

munkle

[H]F Junkie
I have been a Windows user for a long time, and will continue to be. I have no beef with osx, it is quite nice but as it is now I have no reason to use it over windows, I do like to game so thats what has kept me using windows and that I have no problems with windows. ( Just so you dont think I'm Biased)

So anyone else think that the Mac Pro is hotness :p ? Now that Macs have boot camp, I really want one of these things, it would be awesome for games if you could load xp on it. They have a hefty price tag but tons of power. I always liked apple's cases they are very nice instead of your cheap plastic oem one.

Basically just my thread about how I want a mac pro but to poor to get one, and just drooling over one. :p

I really want one, but I'll be getting a MacBook Pro first. I waited until today to see if they'd throw a Core 2 Duo in them, but they didn't so I won't wait any longer.

LittleMe said:
I really want one, but I'll be getting a MacBook Pro first. I waited until today to see if they'd throw a Core 2 Duo in them, but they didn't so I won't wait any longer.

Not to burst your bubble, but these are designed as workstations, so the Xeon is the right processor. They have chosen the Woodcrest because of the ratio between Watt vs. Performance vs. Heat (which is lower than the Core2Duo). Additionally because these are Pro machines they were looking for a chip that is made for high loads and alot of processing so the Server/Workstation chip is the right choice. The Core 2 Duo will find its way into the iMac in Paris or SF in January.

To get back to the topic.

I would personally would till the next rev. because as we have seen witb MBs and MBPs there are always small illnesses the new Apples have

Price aside, how does the Mac pro compare to getting a core 2 E6600 for gaming while running XP?

Biest said:
Not to burst your bubble, but these are designed as workstations, so the Xeon is the right processor. They have chosen the Woodcrest because of the ratio between Watt vs. Performance vs. Heat (which is lower than the Core2Duo). Additionally because these are Pro machines they were looking for a chip that is made for high loads and alot of processing so the Server/Workstation chip is the right choice. The Core 2 Duo will find its way into the iMac in Paris or SF in January.

I would personally would till the next rev. because as we have seen witb MBs and MBPs there are always small illnesses the new Apples have

Sorry, my mistake. I know the Mac Pro is a workstation and yes, Woodcrest was the best choice. I meant, I was waiting to see if they would upgrade the chip in the MacBook Pro.

DaMaDo said:
Price aside, how does the Mac pro compare to getting a core 2 E6600 for gaming while running XP?
I doubt youll get any real numbers for awhile, because it was just released today. But it would destroy a 6600 if you were able to take out the gpu bottleneck, but with the same high end gpu it would be better but by how much I dont know.

LittleMe said:
Sorry, my mistake. I know the Mac Pro is a workstation and yes, Woodcrest was the best choice. I meant, I was waiting to see if they would upgrade the chip in the MacBook Pro.

since Memron needs a while to get produced in high enough numbers, I would say Paris is the best bet for those. i know it is only a month away, but it retrospect the Memron should have been announced at that time.

munkle said:
I doubt youll get any real numbers for awhile, because it was just released today. But it would destroy a 6600 if you were able to take out the gpu bottleneck, but with the same high end gpu it would be better but by how much I dont know.

Yeah I'd either put in my 7800 GTX or a friend might hook me up with a cheap X1900XT

I'm also wondering if it would benefit from DDR28000...I'll need to see if the board will benefit from it.

Biest said:

Your post wins the "HUH?:confused:" award of the day!

He was talking about Apple putting a "Merom" Core 2 Duo in the Macbook Pro. Also, I don't get what you're saying about Woodcrest vs Core 2 Duo. Basically, the new Xeon is just a Core 2 Duo with a different socket and a higher front side bus & clock speed.

By the way, watt = heat.

max options, including dual 30" flatscreens and the wireless mouse and keyboard, except for the fibre channel card ...

[font='Lucida Grande', Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]$16,266.00

yowza
[/font]

BoySetsFire said:
max options, including dual 30" flatscreens and the wireless mouse and keyboard, except for the fibre channel card ...

yowza
[/font]
I think I need a new pair of pants.. :eek:

BoySetsFire said:

yowza
[/font]

My total was around $5,043.

1TB, 4 Gigs, X1900, yadda yadda

They are nice, but I want a Merom Macbook pro 15" with Bluray and a better vid card than the x1600 first. Wanted it to be announced today, no such luck =)

Does anyone know how hard it would be to throw 2 other high end vid cards in to the Mac Pro instead of the slim choice of options available as a BTO?

Sam

Kadath said:
They are nice, but I want a Merom Macbook pro 15" with Bluray and a better vid card than the x1600 first. Wanted it to be announced today, no such luck =)

Does anyone know how hard it would be to throw 2 other high end vid cards in to the Mac Pro instead of the slim choice of options available as a BTO?

Sam

Probably a risky flash to the ROM.

What ram would you put in it? I don't know much about ECC/registered/buffered etc. =/

I wish I had the cash for one of these. Looks like one hella desktop/workstation. I'm just thinking about that thing with a few 30's running some hd feeds. Hummmmm

i was posting the max options on a lark. i doubt seriously that anyone would purchase a rig maxed out like that directly from options.

i honestly wonder if the sales people actually totally up the max options on something like that. i mean seriously, one computer with 2 screens for more than my 2003 jetta 1.8T cost me. hah.

I'm looking to pick one of these up for Christmas. I cannot afford anything better than the 2.66 model.

BoySetsFire said:
i was posting the max options on a lark. i doubt seriously that anyone would purchase a rig maxed out like that directly from options.

i honestly wonder if the sales people actually totally up the max options on something like that. i mean seriously, one computer with 2 screens for more than my 2003 jetta 1.8T cost me. hah.

Trust I know a someone who bought a maxed out Quad G5, but that kid has way too much money to spend.

The hots I have!

Ordered it is :)

iBook, meet your big brother!

I went for the basic 2.66GHz, upped the RAM to 4GB, picked the ATi X1900XT and upsized the harddisk to 500GB. I added wireless and a 30" to top it all off. Ahh.. 3-5 weeks shipping time boehoe! Can't wait to start playing with Aperture! :cool:

ordered mine this morning as well...there UST be a way to get my 7900GT to work in there :confused:

This thing is gonna be a folding beast :D

Can't beat the free iPod (even though i already have 2 of them)

mrweasel said:
ordered mine this morning as well...there UST be a way to get my 7900GT to work in there :confused:

This thing is gonna be a folding beast :D

Can't beat the free iPod (even though i already have 2 of them)

my best guess is that you would have to flash it to work on Mac OS

yeah I read something about the EFI being the issue. I'm sure someone will have it all figured out soon enough :D

I saw this on newegg which is FB but it looks so different to the heatsink-laden ones shown in the second picture here

I'd like to save that money...for $20 more than the apple upgrade price I could have 3 gigs =/

Keon said:
The hots I have!

Ordered it is :)

iBook, meet your big brother!

I went for the basic 2.66GHz, upped the RAM to 4GB, picked the ATi X1900XT and upsized the harddisk to 500GB. I added wireless and a 30" to top it all off. Ahh.. 3-5 weeks shipping time boehoe! Can't wait to start playing with Aperture! :cool:

Awesome! I wanted a 30" as well, but they will be releasing new and improved monitors next month. =O

Might want to hold off on that 30".

I as well am impressed with the Mac Pro. I will be getting a Quad 3GHz, 4GB FBDIMM, 1TB, 1900 XT, 23 Inch ACD.

I just dont know how long I should wait... I was going to wait until Leopard comes out to buy a new mac, but Now, This Machine is just too sweet.

The More I think about it, When Lepoard comes out, We might have 2 - Quad Core CPUs for Octa Power!!! So I might just wait.

USMC2Hard4U said:
I as well am impressed with the Mac Pro. I will be getting a Quad 3GHz, 4GB FBDIMM, 1TB, 1900 XT, 23 Inch ACD.

I just dont know how long I should wait... I was going to wait until Leopard comes out to buy a new mac, but Now, This Machine is just too sweet.

The More I think about it, When Lepoard comes out, We might have 2 - Quad Core CPUs for Octa Power!!! So I might just wait.

I think I am going to go with a 3Ghz quad-core beast, 2 gigs of Ram should be plenty (I have been fine with 512MB on Xp Pro so far, so that should be a nice jump), hard drives I will buy on my own cheaper elsewhere.

Not sure for graphics cards, the 7300gt runs dual link DVI, so that is all I would need for a 30" display, I don't plan on doing any gaming. I just with they offered one of the dual link x1600 cards as an option for the same price as the 7300gt.

I bought a Dual 3Ghz w/ X1900XT, I figured I might as well buy a good video card-I'm updating from a 9600XT and before that a GeForce 256 hahaha.

But if you don't game much then the 7300 seems like a really good choice. It's still a very good video card w/ 256mb RAM. I sold my Powermac G5 w/ 2gb RAM and that seemed perfect for me and I often had Flash, Photoshop, GoLive and other small apps running. With this new FB-DIMM RAM that has Error Correction and is faster, I'm sure 2Gb RAM will be plenty.

It's sort of funny how everybody at the [H] can appreciate the Mac Pro yet all the Mac Zealots at MacRumors et al all think it's horrible and that it's blah blah :rolleyes: Whatever. I'll be sure to load up Windows XP on her and do some benchmarks, not too mention-some folding!

clean_me said:
I bought a Dual 3Ghz w/ X1900XT, I figured I might as well buy a good video card-I'm updating from a 9600XT and before that a GeForce 256 hahaha.

But if you don't game much then the 7300 seems like a really good choice. It's still a very good video card w/ 256mb RAM. I sold my Powermac G5 w/ 2gb RAM and that seemed perfect for me and I often had Flash, Photoshop, GoLive and other small apps running. With this new FB-DIMM RAM that has Error Correction and is faster, I'm sure 2Gb RAM will be plenty.

It's sort of funny how everybody at the [H] can appreciate the Mac Pro yet all the Mac Zealots at MacRumors et al all think it's horrible and that it's blah blah :rolleyes: Whatever. I'll be sure to load up Windows XP on her and do some benchmarks, not too mention-some folding!

IMO Apple did everything right with the Mac Pro, kept a great looking case, make the interior easier to work inside of and more expandable, all should perform very well, and (finally) dual optical drives again. Actually, just looking at the Apple site again, do these come standard with 1394a (Firewire 400) or 1394b (Firewire 800) or neither?

There are both Firewire 400&800 ports.

On the front:

2-USB 2.0
2-Firewire 400
1-Firewire 800

On the back:

3-USB 2.0
1-Firewire 400
1-Firewire 800

I'm actually very disappointed with the Mac Pro. Yeah, great. Quad processors. FB-DIMMs, that was an Intel design call - not Apple - so I can't blame them there. Finally, more than two hard drives - about freaking time! Like the Firewire configuration. But the 4 16x-mechanical slots was a really, really bad judgement call on their part. Hell, I'd almost call it deceptive, because they hid it in the fine print.
"Configurable bandwidth that mechanically supports 16-lane cards"
Mechanically means the slot has the physical room only. Nowhere does Apple say how many total lanes they have. Based on the features (533/667 FB-DIMM, Woodcrest) and timing, it's almost certainly an Intel E5000X (Greencreek) chipset with the 6321ESB I/O hub and without the 6700PXH PCI Hub. Why? Only chipset out right now that supports Woodcrest and FB-DIMMs. Greencreek only has 20 PCI-Express lanes. That means those four 7300GTs? They're running with a whopping 4 lanes. That also rules out dual 7950/4500X2's, which require 16 lane electrical per still. (Apple may get nVidia to change this in BIOS soonish.)

Right up to the point I saw the PCI-Express problem, I was seriously considering the Mac Pro. But seeing that, I'll definitely be passing on this one. I'll wait for the Mac Pro that actually has the PCI-Express lanes to support it's physical slot configuration - hopefully next year.

Back