Anyone else have trouble connecting their wii to the internet?

StorageJoe

Limp Gawd
I have a Linksys WRT54GS and can't seem to get the internet connection test to work. I've tried all the usual things on other forums, such as setting the router to Mixed (b & g) and setting to channel 1. Wii finds the access point, but always fails connection test. WPA is turned off on the router.

Try assigning the Wii a static IP. I had to do the same for my Wii and I'm using a D-Link DI-624.

Tried that as well. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. I'm somewhat tempted to just go buy a new router. I know it's not the Wii that is the issue, I took it to my parent's place and was able to connect to their router just fine.

try each channel

try assigning a name to your network in your router config

My Wii wouldn't connect right away either even tho I had no probs with other wireless connections (a desktop and a laptop). Once I changed the channel the Wii hooked right up and was fast.

I have a WRT54GS just using WEP and my Wii connected right up no problems after configuring the SSID and WEP Key

Yeah, I've got that one, too. WEP's what I'm using. No problems at all.
Is there any way you have the router set to only accept connections from certain MAC addresses? I have mine setup to only accept connections from my 5-6 wireless devices.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! And get this, I connected fine but as soon as i updated my Wii it refuses to connect to my fricken router! Ugh how annoying. I'm definitely not dong anything wrong cos its using the same connection that i had saved when it was connected! I feel like smashing it, so frustrating. I've tried every single things. Turning off all security on my router, changing channels, Manually assigning IP (even DNS) and NOTHING WORKS!!! GAAAH but it at least it detects the network. so frustrated by this. At least my PS3 connects fine.

"Anyone else have trouble connecting their wii to the internet?" Imagine if you asked that question 2 years ago; all the responses you would have gotten? :)

This may sound silly, but when's the last time you rebooted the router? If they're left running for a long time, they can do whacky things. Also, do you have the latest firmware running on your router? That'll make a big difference.

yup have rebooted my router already and i have the latest firmware already. All my wireless devices connect fine to it except my wii! ugh... its so frustrating especially knowing it connect before with the previous firmware.

I got lazy and decieded to just pick up the USB wi-fi adapter. I couldn't get the Linksys to work even though I tried EVERYTHING, and the USB adapter is cheaper than a new router (which I was seriously considering).

Wasnt there some problem with Wii's and firmware updates then WiFi not working?

Then having to have to replace the Unit? I may be mistaken, but i thought i heard something about that.

I got lazy and decieded to just pick up the USB wi-fi adapter. I couldn't get the Linksys to work even though I tried EVERYTHING, and the USB adapter is cheaper than a new router (which I was seriously considering).

Channel 11 on my router worked for me, no other channel would connect, My wii could see the router, but never connect

Odd I have the same exact router and never had a problem connecting. I actually had more problems with the Nintendo WIFI adapter. I have WPA2 setup on mine and I have yet to have a problem connecting. More than likely the Wii's wireless isnt quite as strong as your laptop/desktop so it may be an issue of placement. Remember that the ion cloud for the Wireless can be disrupted by odd things (see the wireless internet forum and how xmas tree lights can mess things up). Maybe try moving the router to a more "visible place" and move the Wii to a more "visible place".

I had trouble connecting because my network illiterate daughter called me and got me to walk her through the connection while i was driving home. All the other drivers were flipping me off for some reason. Maybe it's because I was driving erratically while repeating "one nine two period one six eight period zero period one," over and over and over again.

All,

Have read a few posts around the web regarding people who own the DLINK DI-624 router, having trouble connecting using WPA2 security.

I had this problem and solved it by upgrading the firmware from here :

ftp://ftp.dlink.ru/pub/Router/DI-624/Firmware/Rev C

Version 2.76 seems to have some improvments for the DI-624 WPA support.

I set mine to WPA-AUTO and Auto for the Cipher and the WII connected 1st time.

Hope this helps someone else out - PM me if any one needs the firmware.

Thanks

MC

there have been wii updates where I have had to go in and delete my wireless settings and then set it up again

I had to enter my wiis mac address into my router to get it to connect, not sure where on my router i entered it . Had to play with my routersettings to find the placeto enter it.

If you haven't tried every single channel, you need to do that. I wrestled with mine for way longer than I'd like to admit. Getting a device on a wireless network isn't rocket science, but my WRT54G did NOT like my wii. I believe channel 5 and 9 worked for me.

Also -- make sure you're broadcasting your SSID. I've since replaced the router, but iirc, I had to enable SSID broadcast to get the initial setup to complete, but then I was able to disable it when after it was setup.

when our linksys took a crap, the wii was the first one that had issues, then only 2 wireless clients could connect and then it was Tango Uniform.

replaced it with a dir-628 and no issues since

Back