Anyone else run into this problem with the Antec 900??

Nivram

Gawd
Was looking at adding a pci-e video card to my new system build today, and ran into a problem.

The motherboard I'm using has onboard nvidea 8200 graphics, so I've had no problems using that up to now, but always had the idea that I'd like to have a dedicated graphics card. Today I tried fitting a card into the pci-e slot on the motherboard, only to find out that I couldn't attach a dvi cable or adaptor to the dvi output on the video card, due to the case construction!

Here's a picture that might make it clearer:

The motherboard I'm using has the dvi-e slot aligned with the top slot on the case. Unfortunately, that top slot doesn't have a lot of wiggle room, and once the card is seated, it pretty much sits in such a way that the dvi ports are too high in the slot to allow a cable or adaptor to be attached to it.

Short of banging away at it with a BFH (big f'n hammer), or cutting it with a dremel, does anyone have any ideas?? I'm thinking I might have to find a card that has an analog (15 pin, blue) port on it, just so it'll work with this case (and even then, there's no guarantee I wouldn't have the same problem!!).

Thanks in advance! :)

cut the case. you never see that part, and the whole case is prob worth about 20 bucks anyway.

this was a well documented issue with the first generation 900's.. for those, the only fix was to modify the case. I'm sure something will come up if you google it.

The motherboard is a Zotac micro atx I got from Newegg. Sorry, pictures will be difficult, since I'm using the system right now. ;)

I think this weekend I might try loosening the motherboard standoff screws a little bit, and see if I can nudge the motherboard down a little bit. Combined with letting the video card droop a little bit in the case (fully seated in the slot, but not tucked all the way into the screw slot where it's held on the back of the case......not sure if I'm making sense or not), and it might let me sneak the cable or adaptor into place.

Thanks for the responses. :D

Take a file to the offending panel. This will leave a neater finish than dremel or BFH!

Well, with a little bit of ingenuity (and caffeine), I got it to work!

Had to loosen the screw for every back slot cover plate, one at a time, slide the plate down a fraction of an inch, then tighten the screw up again. Over and over, til I got to the video card, which was then able to slide down that fraction of an inch, and allow the dvi plug for the monitor to slide in there! Simple!! :D

It's just that sometimes, I miss the forest for the trees......or the simple solution for the difficult one!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestions, though!!

Back