Anyone else that recently ordered an 840 Pro and got a non-Pro?

defy

Gawd
I picked up a new 256gb 840 Pro from Amazon recently and was setting it up today.

1. After installing the newest Samsung Magician software, I noticed that it detected the drive as a Samsung 840 (non-pro).
  2. It also offered me a firmware update, so I looked up the firmware version and it matches with a non-pro.
  3. I checked the drive space, and it shows as 232.89gb (as it should for a 250gb non-pro drive). A 256gb 840 Pro should show as 238.47gb.

The box itself still had the security sticker still attached and came straight from Amazon via FedEx Smartpost. All the other packaging shows as an 840 Pro Series drive. The S/N on the box does NOT match the S/N showing up on Samsung Magician (which confirms my theory yet again).

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? I'm probably going to try resolving this through Amazon, since they usually have good customer service. This is my first Samsung drive, and the last thing I expected to get.

Document it all. Call up Samsung and leave feedback with them. Then go and return/exchange with Amazon. I haven't had this happen personally though I've avoided this new generation of Samsung SSDs.

See the Packaging & Build section of the HardOCP review of the 840 Pro:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/12/10/samsung_840_pro_ssd_review/3

Particularly examine the back of the drive, which includes info like the serial number and WWN identifier. Does it conform closely with this HardOCP picture?

1354061311bIy1bkVDHa_3_6_l.jpg

Document it all. Call up Samsung and leave feedback with them. Then go and return/exchange with Amazon. I haven't had this happen personally though I've avoided this new generation of Samsung SSDs.

Good plan, hoping I can get help directly through Amazon but documenting it can't hurt. Not sure how Samsung support compares, and if they would even help me here.

If the security sticker is unbroken thats some shady stuff.

I'm looking at it closely under some heavy lighting, and there is some slight peeling/picking at a corner of it. Nothing too noticeable, it could just be in my head now that I know it's the wrong drive.

See the Packaging & Build section of the HardOCP review of the 840 Pro:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/12/10/samsung_840_pro_ssd_review/3

Particularly examine the back of the drive, which includes info like the serial number and WWN identifier. Does it conform closely with this HardOCP picture?

Thanks for this. I just pulled out the drive and verified 100% it's the wrong drive. They sent a 250gb 840 non-PRO. The serial and model numbers do not match at all. I'm just not sure where along the supply chain it was swapped out (whether it was a samsung mix-up or something more malicious).

I'm glad I saw this thread. I just bought the same drive from Amazon and had it shipped to my son for his new build. I've already sent a link to this thread to have him double check the drive when he does his build this weekend.

I'm glad I saw this thread. I just bought the same drive from Amazon and had it shipped to my son for his new build. I've already sent a link to this thread to have him double check the drive when he does his build this weekend.

Ha, glad it could help someone out. The good news is Amazon is being awesome (as they tend to be) and are offering me a return or exchange for the drive.

Back