Anyone else think Halo is overhyped?

Presto88

Limp Gawd
Please tell me that I'm not the only one who thinks halo is a standard shooter?

flame away if you want but it wont affect my opinion

Agreed. It's over-hyped.

But I like the first one because it was a little different and it had a great storyline.

The 2nd was WAY over-hyped because to me it was more of the same.

The Halo 3 trailer is nice and teasing but this game shall be over-hyped as well.

But hey! Whatever. lol

I think it's definitely overhyped. It's not a bad game but it's definitely not that revolutionary. I would give it 8/10.

Oh, hell yes. It's a slightly-above average FPS, 7.5 or 8 out of 10. It's just proof that with enough marketing, you can make any game "OMG MUST HAVE IT NOW". They got some celebs on there, etc. Hell, I still like the original HL better.

Interesting, as I really like the Halo series. I especially liked the ability to play from the perspective of two different characters in Halo 2. The story is good, Cortana is probably the coolest ship AI ever seen, and Master Chief is an interesting and mysterious character.

Presto88 said:
Please tell me that I'm not the only one who thinks halo is a standard shooter?

flame away if you want but it wont affect my opinion

You're not the only one. It's not bad, it just seems like a fairly standard shooter.

Overhyped, but genuinely fun and pretty innovative the first time around. I can't say I'd follow it on a console though, just never one for the gamepad FPS.

heatsinker said:
Overhyped, but genuinely fun and pretty innovative the first time around. I can't say I'd follow it on a console though, just never one for the gamepad FPS.

I aggree 100% with the gamepad fps

Way overhyped.

Yet it is one of the better console FPS games. One of the few I like actually.

The only reason it's "overhyped" is because THAT'S how many people actually like the game. You see people talking and talking about it. The reason being: they like it. Plain and simple. And they'll buy it.

I like the Halo series, the gameplay isn't bad, the online counterpart is pure sweetness, and the overall story is something I'm really hooked on and I can't wait to see what happens. :)

For sure overhyped. But I'd still actually rate it as one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played (Both 1 and 2). I loved the story, the score was just top notch and I just got drawn in. I'm really glad that it's not going to be around until 2007. MS could have forced them to pull it out for the PS3 launch, and no doubt that would have ruined it. Of course, it's going to be under a huge amount of pressure for the final game anyway... I would not like to be in that team at bungie.

Would I have liked it so much if I was a twitch-click hyper FPS junky? Probably not, as it's not in the least bit hardcore. But then those days are gone for me cos I'm getting old. ;)

For me, it's also the story that i'm hooked on as well. I'm just too into this plot-line, and have to see how it ends.

lesman said:
The only reason it's "overhyped" is because THAT'S how many people actually like the game. You see people talking and talking about it. The reason being: they like it. Plain and simple. And they'll buy it.

I like the Halo series, the gameplay isn't bad, the online counterpart is pure sweetness, and the overall story is something I'm really hooked on and I can't wait to see what happens. :)

heatsinker said:

This has always been a problem for me as well. An FPS just feels odd with a gamepad. I'm sure if I played it enough I'd get used to it, but I doubt I'd ever prefer it over a mouse/keyboard.

The whole thing is a bit unfortunate, because there are some decent console FPS's.

Totally over hyped.
I played through the first game, twice, and it was mediocre at best.
I never bothered playing the second one because it was probably going to be the same overhyped garbage as the first.
PS: The 'Flood" levels were the most uninspiring, lazy, cheap, repetitive garbage I've ever played in my life.

I guess i'd agree with the 'overhyped but enjoyable' opinion. The amount of marketing and frenzy surrounding it was excessive IMHO. The gamepad vs kb/mouse issue doesn't bother me and overall its a solid game. It didn't blow me away but I enjoyed the story and feel of the game.

I agree. It was fun, but for me: it wasn't revolutionary or anything. It was a 7.5. For a console, it was a great FPS. But, as a PC gamer, it wasn't much...

Amanda ;)

I really really liked the story/gameplay in Halo 1....both dropped off in Halo 2 IMO. I guess gameplay changes had their ups and downs when compared to 1, some things weren't as good, some things were nice additions. For those reasons, I think Halo 2 was overhyped, Halo 1 matched the hype I guess you could say. It's hard for a sequel to not be overhyped though.

I guess it depends on what your definition of "overhyped" is. If you mean, that people make it seem like it's better than it really is, then I agree with you...... as far as Halo 2 goes.

However, in 2001 there wasn't much that provided the fun that Halo did and it's still one of the best games of all-time in my opinion.

I agree that it was definitely something new when the Xbox launched; the co-op play was unmatched, especially with vehicles and the seemingly sentient AI. I suppose you just can't bottle lightning twice, even with a brand new bottle.

I myself like Halo 1, and I see it as more than just an average fps. You have to understand the multiplayer, have played with good people, played with good settings, and knowledge of the game, to understand exactly how perfect the multiplayer aspect of Halo 1 is, and how much of a masterpiece it really is. Most people that I have talked that thought Halo 1 was just average, were either not too good at the game and had no knowledge on how the game played and its mechanics, played with bad people, or just played horrible settings or gametypes.

I love Halo, but I'm not one of those fps purists either. I like a game with a good story line and not just "ZOMG ALEENS KEEL THEM!!!".

Not a big console guy, but the multiplayer is what makes Halo fun. Halo 2 isn't as fun, but I like the sword.

No more overhyped than your standard big-name PC FPS sequels of today and yesteryear. Doom 3, Quake 4, FEAR, Half Life 2. All of those were genuinely overhyped as well, but that doesn't stop them from being special and fun in their own unique ways.

So yes, Halo is overhyped, but the only people who see that as a negative thing are the folks who want to find something to nitpick, or who generally have an agenda about Console shooters, or the sales numbers Halo put up as a franchise. Those 2 comments usually go hand in hand with threads like these.

Complaining about something being overhyped, especially in an industry like this where the entire press is plugged in 24/7 and reports every tidbits of news, is like riding a merry-go-round.

Xorg said:
I myself like Halo 1, and I see it as more than just an average fps. You have to understand the multiplayer, have played with good people, played with good settings, and knowledge of the game, to understand exactly how perfect the multiplayer aspect of Halo 1 is, and how much of a masterpiece it really is. Most people that I have talked that thought Halo 1 was just average, were either not too good at the game and had no knowledge on how the game played and its mechanics, played with bad people, or just played horrible settings or gametypes.

That can be said about pretty much any game ever made.

Not only overhyped, but a downright annoying game. The cut and paste level design in Halo made me downright nauseous after entering the same identical room for the 10th time. The monsters weren't very interesting, the levels boring, the storyline wasn't all that special either. I seriously wonder what people see in the Halo series? Or has all that hype gotten to them that they believe its a good game? Because honestly, to me Halo is no different than the dozens of other below average first person shooter games that are released for the PC every year.

I thought it was a horrible game. Both on Xbox and PC. Give me and PC game, or Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Conker's anyday over them.

The only thing that makes Halo is it's Xbox live capabilities.

Edit: as many have said, what is so special about it's story? I found it.. meh.

oh god yes....

i mean it would probibly be a half decent game if i wasnt hearing about it every five mins, i swear to god it has taken over CSS as the game to talk about.

It was one of the worst FPS's I've ever played. I didn't play it when it first came out, only what....a year later when it was finally released on the PC.

I played for a few hours. I realized there were 2 or 3 weapons and a whopping 2 different kinds of enemies, the tall guys, and the short guys. :rolleyes:

The game was really disappointing and I didn't play it again. Maybe on the x-box it was super-revolutionary, but when you compared it to PC titles it just didn't hold it's weight.

F1xxer said:
It was one of the worst FPS's I've ever played. I didn't play it when it first came out, only what....a year later when it was finally released on the PC.

I played for a few hours. I realized there were 2 or 3 weapons and a whopping 2 different kinds of enemies, the tall guys, and the short guys. :rolleyes:

The game was really disappointing and I didn't play it again. Maybe on the x-box it was super-revolutionary, but when you compared it to PC titles it just didn't hold it's weight.

Agreed. I tried to get into Halo several times both on the PC and Xbox and I just couldn't do it. I was bored to tears maybe a third of the way in. A few years later, Halo 2 comes out and I played maybe 15 minutes of it before I sold my Xbox. I'm normally not one to give up on game so quickily but I was extremely disappointed in the Halo series. I guess if you've only grown up with console FPS, I guess Halo would be worth all the hype but not for this PC gamer.

Well, if the Halo franchise is only average, what makes all other fps on consoles? Bad? Sadly, the answer is probably yes, the only fps I have got myself to enjoy on a console has been Halo 1 and Halo 2, more so for Halo 1. Again, the balance and game mechanics of Halo 1 made it a masterpeice, and unless you really understand every little trick and glitch in its multiplayer, you won't really understand why. I have played many other fps on both consoles and pcs, and most do not have this indepth gameplay, especially that your average halo player doesn't realize about. When we used to invite new players to our Halo Lans, who tought they were good, they would always be impressed when they saw me do a trick, like grenading a sniper towards myself, or they wondered why I used a timer and I would have to explain.

Yes, I think Halo 2 is wa y overhyped, along with the whole series, it is a fun game, but some people make it out to be the Jessus Christ of Microsoft's consoles.

played both and thought they are average, multi or not, and any FPS blows with no Kb+mouse. as for the story, shit ive dreamt better storys.

A couple of points I like about Halo.

You don't tote around a fucking WEAPONS CACHE WITH YOU. You have 1 gun in your hands, and you are able to holster another.

I like that EVERY enemy drops their weapons. Nothing as annoying as killing someone that's been firing at you, and the bad guy takes that weapon to hell with him.

MELEE ATTACK WITH ANY WEAPON.

Dual wielding single handed weapons.

As for the story, if you honestly dream up weirder shit than a COALITION of aliens with religious reverence to an ancient race (Forerunners) and their artifacts, come up against Humanity, who has figured out that the Forerunners actually have at least once wiped out ALL SENTIENT LIFE in the galaxy, and that this coalition of aliens is trying to fucking ACTIVATE THE GALAXY DESTROYING WEAPONRY THINKING IT IS A PATH TO HEAVEN...

then you need heavier doses of your meds, man. The story has a lot of depth, if you bother to look into it.

Presto88 said:
I aggree 100% with the gamepad fps
Same here. Gamepad + FPS = :(

As for Halo, I think the PC version was kicks arse. Still play it to this day.
Looks great now that I have a card that can handle everything maxed out.

Doward said:
A couple of points I like about Halo.

You don't tote around a fucking WEAPONS CACHE WITH YOU. You have 1 gun in your hands, and you are able to holster another.

I like that EVERY enemy drops their weapons. Nothing as annoying as killing someone that's been firing at you, and the bad guy takes that weapon to hell with him.

MELEE ATTACK WITH ANY WEAPON.

Dual wielding single handed weapons.

As for the story, if you honestly dream up weirder shit than a COALITION of aliens with religious reverence to an ancient race (Forerunners) and their artifacts, come up against Humanity, who has figured out that the Forerunners actually have at least once wiped out ALL SENTIENT LIFE in the galaxy, and that this coalition of aliens is trying to fucking ACTIVATE THE GALAXY DESTROYING WEAPONRY THINKING IT IS A PATH TO HEAVEN...

then you need heavier doses of your meds, man. The story has a lot of depth, if you bother to look into it.
Well said! Agree on all points. :cool:

That series is 100% proof of what good marketing can do. Those games pretty much carried the Xbox. The funny thing is that there are people who believe the games are revolutionary and that no PC fps has ever come close (though PC FPS have long been more advanced and immersive than HALO) I can't believe they're making a movie out of that series. There are some truly gullible people out there IMO.

Why is it that I was born and raised on KB+M gaming, and yet, after a few years of practice with a gamepad I can play at an average/above average level with one or the other?

Halo did for consoles what HL1 and UT did for PC's, only like 10 years later...

Any PC gamer knows that Halo is nothing that great, on the PC it is a subpar FPS, and that is all. Non PC gamers don't know any better, since it was one of the first console FPS's

No, they are making a movie based on the books. Get it straight. :p

Any PC gamer knows that Halo is nothing that great? You're funny.

Sigh ... from the responces here it seems many are more interested in how the levels
are constructed, or the accuracy of the wrinkles on the character's faces than the gameplay.
Huh? What's gameplay?
Par for the course these days sadly enough. Even for the developers it seems.

Let us not forget that 1st & foremost Halo was/is a SHOOTER.

Doward said:

Played many games lately? :rolleyes:

Anyways, the story isn't the point, the way it is told is whats important. Halo had little in the way of a story, compare it to HL1, System Shock 2, FEAR, etc...

Back