Anyone else with a 4870x2 not impressed?

arentol

2[H]4U
Anyone else with a 4870x2 looking at these new cards and thinking "meh"?

I may have paid $200 more than the current 5870 price, but that was over a year ago. I have had 5870, or near 5870 performance, in every game for all that time. So it was far more cost effective than purchasing a 4870 back then and then upgrading now would have been.

As for today, there doesn't appear to be any reason to even consider upgrading for this generation of cards other than Eyefinity, which I don't need, and DX11, which is not close to enough reason to drop that much cash unless I managed to sell my 4870x2 for at least the price of a new 5870.

Nope, think I will wait this out and maybe in another year to two years I will move on to a 6870, or whatever they have then.

Ach.... the the 4870x2 drew someting mad like 300+ Watts. I guess, if power savings is a concern, then there is a reason to move. Otherwise, you're right. (and I'm not the one with a 4870x2... friend has 2 4870s in xfire)

4870x2 is still a powerhouse.

Hemlock should blow it away and prove much more superior.

I have an accelero on mine (HATE stock cooler noise) and will not be upgrading until there is accelero or other quiet fan for the hd5870x2. If not I'll stick with my hd4870x2 for another year or two as theres nothing coming out on pc that requires major gpu power.

Got an X2 since Dec last year and don't see my self getting anything till at least 68xx+. I have a small rule of never getting 1st gen GPU of a major DX version anyway.

Kind of like CPUs, I wait for the die shrink before I buy anything.

I have had the 4870X2 since last Oct. and I've been quite happy with it. It cost me a bundle and will take a loss on selling it. I got the 5870 not only for DX11, but for eyefinity. Now if only there was a hack to use eyefinity with the 4870X2 (but of course it only has two ports), I would keep it.

I'm keeping my 4870x2. I won't be upgrading until I get ready to upgrade the entire system. The 5870x2 has absolutely no chance at fitting in my mid-tower case, so I'll save it or Fermi for a new pc build..

I have an accelero on mine (HATE stock cooler noise) and will not be upgrading until there is accelero or other quiet fan for the hd5870x2. If not I'll stick with my hd4870x2 for another year or two as theres nothing coming out on pc that requires major gpu power.

x2, I'm still trying to overclock my 4870x2 beefed up with accelero xtreme.

So you're not impressed that they made a single-GPU card that's as powerful as the dual-GPU card of last generation? What did you expect it to do?

I guess wait until 5870x2, then see if you're impressed.

So far I´m very satisfied with my dual 4870 setup. No driver issues, played everything I threw at it, no complaint so far.

That's the point... It's been like this ever since SLI / CF came out. New card = Old card in CF / SLI.

So you're not impressed that they made a single-GPU card that's as powerful as the dual-GPU card of last generation? What did you expect it to do?

Well I did not say 5870 is not impressive. I just do not see any justification to jump to it from HD 4870x2 right now.

So far, I have been happy with mine. I may update to dual 5850's but the 5870 is too close in performance to make a swap. Besides, I have the Asus Tri-fan to keep the noise down and would not want to upgrade to a noisier card with the same performance. I will probably order a pair of dual 5850's when a quieter cooler comes along.

I went from a 4870x2 to a 5850 for eyefinity alone. I can not go back to a single monitor for gaming from now on just to give you an idea of how emmersive eyefinity is. Please the heat and power are a lot less then what the x2 was.

Well I did not say 5870 is not impressive. I just do not see any justification to jump to it from HD 4870x2 right now.

I find it hard to believe anyone who buys a 4870x2 expects to jump to the next gen single card for an upgrade.

If you bought a 4870x2, you're looking to the 5870x2 for the upgrade. It's quite that simple.

It's like if you bought a 4870 and then said the 5770 wasn't all that impressive and doesn't warrant an upgrade. Of course not, the 5770 isn't in the same league.

Yep, I'm going with the 5870x2 when some titles start coming out that support DX11. I must say though I'm pretty impressed with even a single 5870 in that it approaches the performance of a 4870x2.

I'm in Tri-Crossfire since 1 year already. And I'm just waiting for the 5870X2 to come out, and then make a move. Probably Tri-Crossfire again, since I never had any problems with drivers, and everything was working fine for me in Tri-Crossfire.

I can't remember the last time I had a BSOD, freezing in a game or any problems in a game in the last 8-12 months. And I bought over around 40 games in the last year.

I just don't know why the 5870X2 is not out already. Are they waiting for the Fermi ''Woodscrew'' paper lunch to put it out on the market and steal the show? It's annoying to have to wait while the full 58xx line-up is almost out.

ATI, what are you doing? I have money burning a hole in my pocket waiting to go 58xx Tri-Crossfire ! :)

I paid too much for my 4890s at launch, but they still destroy everything at 1920x1200, and I won't be getting a new monitor any time soon. Maybe in a year or two, when the second generation DX11 parts (or DX12 parts...) come out, I'll have reason to upgrade. I'm also pretty much dirt poor at the moment (no money for new games), and my PS3 is taking more of my rapidly dwindling gaming time. Until we get some non-ports that really push things and have quality gameplay to back them up I won't be bothering with an upgrade.

I sold my Sapphire 4850x2 because of the ridiculously stupid power consumption. It was a good card (besides running extremely hot, driver issues for CF). But the power consumption was terrible. I may be able to save close to $50 a month or so when I buy my 5870. Hell I sold it at a 50% loss for what I paid for it, but I see it as worth it in the long run. I'm really starting to think single GPU is the way to go for awhile. At least until developers and driver engineers start talking to each other and start optimizing like crazy.

I sold my Sapphire 4850x2 because of the ridiculously stupid power consumption. It was a good card (besides running extremely hot, driver issues for CF). But the power consumption was terrible. I may be able to save close to $50 a month or so when I buy my 5870. Hell I sold it at a 50% loss for what I paid for it, but I see it as worth it in the long run. I'm really starting to think single GPU is the way to go for awhile. At least until developers and driver engineers start talking to each other and start optimizing like crazy.

Huh? I have a 4870x2 and the power usage for my entire system doesn't go above 290w unless I'm gaming. How much was the 4850x2 drawing at idle?

I may be able to save close to $50 a month or so when I buy my 5870.

I don't know about that. I've never seen my power bill rise or fall drastically based off of my choice of video card.

Huh? I have a 4870x2 and the power usage for my entire system doesn't go above 290w unless I'm gaming. How much was the 4850x2 drawing at idle?

I don't know about that. I've never seen my power bill rise or fall drastically based off of my choice of video card.
I'm just making some guesses, but the idle power consumption on the 5870 is already enough for me to switch.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=642&type=expert&pid=10

I only used the term "not impressed" because it was an easy way to express the general sentiment I was going for, not because it was actually an accurate description of how I felt.

Actually I am impressed by the 5000 series cards, I just find it interesting that there is nothing available that exceeds the card I have owned for over a year.

I only used the term "not impressed" because it was an easy way to express the general sentiment I was going for, not because it was actually an accurate description of how I felt.

Actually I am impressed by the 5000 series cards, I just find it interesting that there is nothing available that exceeds the card I have owned for over a year.

Because they're releasing a 5870x2. It's like you're completely ignoring the fact that a 4870x2 compares to the 5870x2 of the next gen. The x2 card isn't meant to be replaced by the next gen single card based on performance, but for power consumption / other pitfalls of a dual card setup.

I don't know why people don't get this. Again, it's like comparing a single 4870 against the 5770 and saying touche, they have roughly the same performance. Well duh! They're on different tiers in their respective generations.

let two 4870x2's go for two 5870's. the 5870's are either faster or smoother in every game i've tried with the exception re5 where the 48xx humble the 58xx by no fewer than 20 frames anywhere in the game. if you can afford to switch then i say do it.

The GTX280 was only better than the 9800GX2 because the latter had just 512 mb of memory, fairly low bandwidth and also SLi support was generally not as good as it is today. The 5870 already beats the 4870x2 in some titles, and not just those without CF support. A single card is still not going to be much of an upgrade, but asking for more than a 100% increase over the previous generation is being unrealistic. Hemlock (or Ferni, who knows) is the card that you should be waiting for.

I find it hard to believe anyone who buys a 4870x2 expects to jump to the next gen single card for an upgrade.

If you bought a 4870x2, you're looking to the 5870x2 for the upgrade. It's quite that simple.

Heh. I don't even know whether it is going to be 5870x2.

Let me put it this way...at 1920x1200 besides Crysis and GTA IV (two games I play a good amount, GTA IV especially) my back up card, 8800 Ultra has no problem maxing any other game, well save for Stalker CS but I don't play that.

And I just don't see 5870x2 maxing out Crysis at my native resolution with playable frames anytime soon.

I just sold my 4870 X2. I was happy with it's performance but two 5850's in CrossfireX was just too sexy to pass up :)

I switched from a 4870X2 to a 5870 (I'm probably buying a 5870X2 when it comes out for tri-fire) and am very happy with the switch. Its cooler, quieter, the minimum FPS in 2560X1600 has been a lot more consistent and I'm able to bump up graphic features a bit more with a lot less impact. I've been very happy so far.

Back