Anyone ever order a retail 920 and get...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newegg is one of the biggest/best in the business so they will make it right. I have to agree that this isn't really front page news worthy. Stuff like this (unfortunately) happens all the time and not just too Newegg. We also have some people who work for major carrier's (cough, U*S) that pull the same crap. But most of them are lazy and just deliver an empty box!

Last edited:
HAHAHAHAHA!!!
I'm laughing so hard that not even LOL can describe it. :)

Sorry to laugh about it Nix, but it was just too funny.
I'm glad New Egg is taking good care of you though, there's no way they would do that on purpose.
I hope they at least let you keep the foamsink :D

As for this being frontnews worthy or not, if it was not made front news, I would've missed it.

This is not good. I just ordered parts from newegg for my new build a couple days ago and they will arrive today, including a 920.

Last edited:
HAHAHAHAHA!!!
I'm laughing so hard that not even LOL can describe it. :)

Sorry to laugh about it Nix, but it was just too funny.
I'm glad New Egg is taking good care of you though, there's no way they would do that on purpose.
I hope they at least let you keep the foamsink :D

As for this being frontnews worthy or not, if it was not made front news, I would've missed it.

Na, I'm with you. It's pretty funny after the first WTF moment. I just wish this would of happend a day earlier so I could get the replacement today instead of Monday.

Hmmm, I'd imagine this might explain the ATi 5xxx series of cards some have received?

/runs...

Newegg is one of the biggest/best in the business so they will make it right. I have to agree that this isn't really front page news worthy. Stuff like this (unfortunately) happens all the time and not just too Newegg. We also have some people who work for major carrier's (cough U*S) that pull the same crap. But most of them are lazy and just deliver an empty box!

I think it is most certanly front page worthy. Even if it is a mistake and it was just a packaging mock up and mistakingly shipped out as the real thing.
I am surprised that we havn't heard from the egg on this yet, or at least the OP posting what the eggs respons is.
It just seems like to much work to be a brick in the box return.

ITs a big operation. The supply chain from China to the US is rather LONG. It could of happened at any time it changed hands. It most likley happened in the originating warehouse NOT in the US. Why? Simple. Engrish gives it away BIG time. Also, it takes a LOT of hardware to print and cut a box like that, and also make the clear plastic molds. Those machines are NOT cheep, so if it was in the US, they would of had to take it to a printing press, and that would raise questions. Or the operation was big enough to justify the cost of these multi-million $$ machines, and thats NOT likley. Im also sure other places will be hit. Newegg may be the 1st, but in order to offset the cost of the printing run, and mold's for the packaging and resin CPU, they will need to fake more then just 300. They also must justify the risk.

Having worked most of my 30+ years of life on PC's, this is not uncommon sadly. I just havent seen an operation fake an entire box like this! I have seen fake RAM, fake hard drives, fake aluminum cases, fake Windows (the most common fake) and a LOT of fake CPU's. I have even seen people fake NOTEBOOKS. An entire shipment of IBM notebooks were nothing but empty shells.

Also, most of the fakes I saw were from OEM/bulk that didnt have packaging. This is the first time I have seen a fake retail product.

It might be if it were your cpu getting scammed :D. Seems like an unfortunate situation that Newegg better remedy quickly.

Any time I've ever had a problem with NE, they've gone out of their way to help, so if this had happened to me, I'd have probably assumed somebody in one of their warehouses had sticky fingers, not that NE suddenly decided to start scamming people with playdoh like a lot here seem to think.

Hahahahaha...I'm so sorry for your situation but that's pretty ridiculous looking. Why go through all the trouble of making a mold for a heatsink if the moment someone sees it, they will know its fake?

I would be fuckin livid.

They better give you a free 920 for that.

Some QC huh

Why would they give him a free CPU for that? Makes no sense.

This is what sucks about the internet generation: they think they are entitled to everything and anything.

This is front page news?

1. this is a friggin computer enthusiast site.. so use your friggin brain..
2. if you werent a troll and actually payed attention you would realize that newegg removed hardocp from their promo group.. thus this makes front page news to get them back.. again use your friggin brain..

@op'er crazy shit man.. glad you got it all squared away.. now i just wish newegg would send me back the 500 dollars they owe me from an order they never shipped..

@the person that said their girlfriend or sister or what ever works for newegg.. glad to see they got that shit taken care of over there.. guess they need to look into their distributers a lot better..

The box is fake. Spelling errors all over it.
Instruction booklet is fake. It's just a bounce of blank papers stapled together.
Heatsink/fan is a mold...

Label on the box says it's a Sochet LGA 1366

I was so fixated on the plastic mold I didn't even notice this other stuff.

O yea, CPU is fake also. A very good fake though.

I'm half laughing horribly and half facepalming myself.
And yes I've seen this before, but NOT from a retail vendor (besides, you know, used items as new). Ever heard of the P-P-Powerbook ?

Why would they give him a free CPU for that? Makes no sense.

This is what sucks about the internet generation: they think they are entitled to everything and anything.

What if he had actually tried to install it and in doing so had damaged some other previously-functional equipment in the process?

If he'd tried to use that mashed potato HSF on a real CPU, it would have fried instantly...

And I doubt he'd have any sour cream handy...

After seeing this, it makes me wonder what all goes on at Craigslist...

Just for shagrins, I'd love to see a pic of the front of the box, so I can laugh at the spelling errors.

UHHHH .... yeah, I just can't afford to take a chance on Newegg. I will not order from them again.

Last thing I want is that headache. Also, lot of places out there just as good as Newegg on price. Although, I will have to wait an extra day or two to get my order.

I knew at some point I would stop shopping at Newegg, Just never thought the end would come like this.

Damn, glad they are taking care of it, but I laughed my ass off when I saw that picture. Glad this didn't happen to me, cause I know I would've gone ape-shit. I live in TN, and might have had to make a trip down to the warehouse over that.

Just wow. Hope things get straightened out for you and anyone else who got scammed. I'd be raging right about now.

You can bet that Intel will be investigating. If Newegg had 300/1000 fake from their distributor, this obviously is not a small operation. How many did that distributor ship to other companies?..

Wow, this is crazy! I've always trusted the Egg, and I'll still continue to buy from them since they're going to make it right. They're just another victim in the chain. I have to say though, this is one of the most elaborate scams that I've seen. Somebody actually took some time to figure it out and on a fairly large scale, it would appear. I really hope they catch the bastards and string them up by the balls.

1. this is a friggin computer enthusiast site.. so use your friggin brain..
2. if you werent a troll and actually payed attention you would realize that newegg removed hardocp from their promo group.. thus this makes front page news to get them back.. again use your friggin brain..

@op'er crazy shit man.. glad you got it all squared away.. now i just wish newegg would send me back the 500 dollars they owe me from an order they never shipped..

@the person that said their girlfriend or sister or what ever works for newegg.. glad to see they got that shit taken care of over there.. guess they need to look into their distributers a lot better..

Just reporting the facts.

http://hardocp.com/article/2010/03/05/newegg_selling_fake_intel_cpus

A counterfeiting operation of this kind has never been seen before in my 10 years. I think this is news. These criminals went to GREAT EFFORT to pull this off. It will be truly interesting to find out the back story, if we ever do.

THIS IS FUCKING CRAZY

I have heard of some strange shit in my short life... but this is just not good for newegg

I was just about to order a SSD from them too... IDK now :confused:

I would have like to have thought that newegg was a good enough place to one, order from reputable distributors and two, check the god damn shipments to make sure they aren't getting the shaft.

I hope this gets all straightened out for you and they catch whoever is making all these fake chips in the first place.

NewEgg is a victim as much as anyone, and will surely be replacing any fake orders received by customers with the proper parts, so I'm really not sure what all the hand-wringing by people in this thread is about. The story itself definitely bears watching, but all of this "OMG I USED TO TRUST NEWEGG BUT NOW I DUNNO!!" is dumber than a box of rocks.

The reason why this ABSOLUTELY doesn't even matter is because newegg is actually a reputable company and will take care of the problem instantaneously for anyone affected.

If you think this can't happen to almost ANY retailer you're wrong. How they take care of it is what to look for. If this actually scares you away from newegg you are a fool. 100% of the people affected will get real processors.

Please pardon my ignorance, but what, or who, is "D&H? I've been assembling my pc's from components that I've mostly bought from Newegg for several years and I don't think that I've ever seen the term "D&H" before. Just curious.

CB

I love all the the "never ordering from Newegg again!" people... Do you really think any on-line retailer is immune to this? It's how they take care of this is what matters. That's how you judge a company's CS from their mistakes not if they never make any (doesn't happen).

*edit* beat me to it..

If they have found all 300 fakes then my 920 sitting at home, waiting for me to get off work, should be legit? My order was placed and shipped on the 3rd as part of a large order of parts.

If it is fake, I won't be able to call newegg till monday morning since I don't get home till after their customer service closes.

Be very interesting to learn the whole story if/when it ever comes out. (Am guessing rogue employee who has ties with a local crime ring.)

Personally I don't order much from NewEgg anymore. Amazon tends to have the same prices, sometimes better (sometimes worse), but free shipping, no tax and great customer service = win every time.

JMHO!

Wow.. just wow. Glad this happened at newegg, because I know they will replace it without issue.

Thanks Kyle for making us all aware of this!! Really sorry that this happened @ NewEgg.. we all trust that site so much. If the Egg can get taken, imagine how much of this bogus stuff is floating around at other, less reputable retailers. Glad NewEgg is making things right for Nix.

Funny how criminals never seem to spell check their work! Glad they usually make their deeds somewhat easy to spot.

Haven't heard much about counterfeit CPUs since the Pentium 4 came out but it seemed to have been a thriving business back in the day. Thought nowadays the only thing that got counterfeited were Yu-Gi-Oh! cards!

trademark-attorney-yu-gi-oh-counterfeit-upper-deck.png

I've been buying stuff from newegg for 10 years great service, never had to return or exchange a thing, and plan on shopping there again. 1 mistake out of thousands of deliveries really doesn't mean a thing.

Hmm 300 pcs? Does anyone know what the master pack (case) quantity is? In other words how many come in a case? I'm thinking this might have been less than 1 pallet (skid) of product. I work in distribution, and I'm just curious.

Please pardon my ignorance, but what, or who, is "D&H? I've been assembling my pc's from components that I've mostly bought from Newegg for several years and I don't think that I've ever seen the term "D&H" before. Just curious.

D&H is one of the distributors that Newegg buys its CPUs from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back