Anyone "forced" to buy the Orange box for the Xbox 360?

Commander0Zero

Limp Gawd
My PC is sad I want the orange box for PC but my 7900 GT might not have the ump to run it paired with my new 24 inch monitor. I guess I could run it at another resolution and I heard Half Life ran well on a multitude of rigs. I know it is hypocrisy to buy this for the 360 but the 360 has its advantages large 46 inch HDTV, Built in Voice, and I will see the game in all its glory as opposed in only some of it's glory on my humble pc. Now I now it's upgrade time but can my rig run this looking any kind of good. Budget is kinda tight and I want to wait for the next gen of cards which looks to be coming soon to at least upgrade my video card. So how would my machine fair with this game?

7900GT
2 GB Ram
AMD 3800 X2

your rig should run it with the same visual quality of the 360. The 360 is only going to pump it out at 720x1280 (if we're lucky.....cough...640p..halo3...cough..)

Just get used to playing at a lower res on your monitor, buy a new $400 video card that will run it at your 24" monitor's native res, or buy it for your 360 and enjoy playing it while sitting on your couch.

I agree with sarbz. You should be fine on your PC, you just might not be able to play at your native rez. Why don't you demo one of the Orange Box games on you rig and test it out before you buy.

Dude your PC is more than enough. I have a 6800GS and I plan on playing EP2 on my comp.

i play tf2 on a 3.2 p4 and 6800gt and have blast.. granted much of the visuals are on low or med. but i could give a rats ass, its all about gameplay and it still looks good to me.. so i dont see what your complaining about with that rig :)

your rig should run it with the same visual quality of the 360. The 360 is only going to pump it out at 720x1280 (if we're lucky.....cough...640p..halo3...cough..)

Just get used to playing at a lower res on your monitor, buy a new $400 video card that will run it at your 24" monitor's native res, or buy it for your 360 and enjoy playing it while sitting on your couch.

Well I might just go with PC being that it will be more flexible in the long haul and I'll get more mileage out of it. Plus everyone on XBL is playing Halo 3( including me :D) so the community might be a little better on PC. I do wonder why in a team game no integrated voice chat seems like it would really benefit from it. Anyway would Quake Wars be a good measuring stick as far as my hardware capability?

I'm buying the PC version first, but I'll pick the 360 version eventually for achievements and TF2. I have more fun playing multiplayer on 360 since i suck on the PC. :p

I'm picking it up on 360. I've played through HL2 so many times that I might as well get achievement points this time through. Not to mention I want to play my buds in some TF2 over Live.

I pretty much am .... the bastards delayed the PS3 version 2 months. Damn slackers.

My PC is sad I want the orange box for PC but my 7900 GT might not have the ump to run it paired with my new 24 inch monitor.

If your LCD has 1:1 pixel mapping you shouldn't have an issue with running out side your native resolution, so if you can crank out 1280x1024, or 1600x1200 you really should be fine.

Keep in mind that the Source engine scales so easily to basically any decent hardware. You would be perfectly fine with that system.

TF2 has voice chat built into it.

Also you can always turn down settings (eg no AA / HDR) and set graphics to something other than max and still get good fps.

You can also look at getting a new card in Nov/Dec when the new mid (and maybe high) end cards come out from both Nvidia and ATI.

The source engine is really easy on hardware. Your rig should have no trouble with it.

I have the 7950gt,..same card just higher clock speeds

In TF2 i run everything maxed out except 2xAA instead of 4xAA...and 8xAF, and i never drop below 40 fps..ussualy high 60s....thats all at 1680 x 1050..

I think you will be fine, you might have to take off AA with your high reso, but your reso is so high, it will still look good...

Also correct me if im wrong..Xbox players host servers right? they arnt dedicated? so your Ping isnt as good, and this game is so fast paced, that ping does matter...alot more than in halo or a sports game i would have to say

Last point.....Keyboard/mouse pwns controler in FPS

I think you'll be okay too. You can run 1920x1200, just tune the settings a bit to get around 60fps or so. It will look way better then the console version. I love console games, but they are rarely 1080p (outside of sports games) and rarely have much FSAA. But hey if you want achievements and no hax0rz get the x360 version.

Thanks guys for the help!!! I think PC ftw ! I'm not really an achievement whore so that's not a concern. I guess I'll give my video card a workout. Plus there is an an awesome deal for the PC version at circuit city.

Yes. This morning, Gabe Newell showed up at my front door and shoved a gun in my face. He ordered me to "buy the Orange box for the 360 or get shot in the face" (or something like that, his mouth was full of food and I could hardly understand him). Needless to say, I whipped out my credit card and made the purchase. Then he left, but not before raiding my fridge :(

Yes. This morning, Gabe Newell showed up at my front door and shoved a gun in my face. He ordered me to "buy the Orange box for the 360 or get shot in the face" (or something like that, his mouth was full of food and I could hardly understand him). Needless to say, I whipped out my credit card and made the purchase. Then he left, but not before raiding my fridge :(

And here I thought I was his only victim...

QFT. You should be fine, I have no problems with my similar system and all highest settings at 1600*1200. There is no need to run at your monitor's native resolution.

Not sure what the issue is. I've got:

7950gt
2gb ram
e6320
Dell 24"

Not a whole lot different from your specs. I've played through both HL2 and EP1 in the past week 1920x1200 with everything maxed, 2 exceptions:water reflection set to "world" because I find "everything" setting to be a little annoying and verticle sync set to "off" because I (amazingly) haven't noticed any screen tearing. I've had zero slowdowns. In fact the Lost Coast video stress test yielded a 99fps average. Fooling around with TF2 and I get pretty much the same results.

From what I understand, source will be updated for multicore systems. So hopefully we can expect even a little more performance, if its not offset by the other updates to the engine.

I'm certain my PC would run it fine (q6600, 4gb, etc) but I decided to pick this up for the 360 even with the PC version being $22 less at circuitcity today.

I dunno, I've played so many FPS's on my PC and UT3 is right around the corner..

Did they keep the servers cross platform or are servers just PC only or X360 only for TF2?

EDIT: nvm saw it another thread. no dice.

Source games run just fine on my 3.4GHz P4, GeForce 6800GT, 1.5GB memory
*shrug*

My PC is sad I want the orange box for PC but my 7900 GT might not have the ump to run it paired with my new 24 inch monitor. I guess I could run it at another resolution and I heard Half Life ran well on a multitude of rigs. I know it is hypocrisy to buy this for the 360 but the 360 has its advantages large 46 inch HDTV, Built in Voice, and I will see the game in all its glory as opposed in only some of it's glory on my humble pc. Now I now it's upgrade time but can my rig run this looking any kind of good. Budget is kinda tight and I want to wait for the next gen of cards which looks to be coming soon to at least upgrade my video card. So how would my machine fair with this game?

7900GT
2 GB Ram
AMD 3800 X2
Your computer is faster than mine and I played the Orange Box games on my 24" LCD just fine. Everything on High, HDR, Bloom, Motion blur, but no AA or AF.

The Source engine is so flexible even a Duron 1.3ghz can play source. Get use to playing at 1280 or 1024. You'll save a lot of money like i am lol. You might get away with just adding antialiasing on a lower resolution.

wtf! the same thing happened to me, i'm now seeking counciling and have started the Orange Box Support Group on tuesday nights at 8pm. donuts and juice are available for those who come.

Back