Anyone going 10 Core Broadwell?

Marcdaddy

2[H]4U
Guys ive been waiting long enough to upgrade from my 2600K, ive been doing some light video editing and re-encoding as of late so I think this CPU will be great for that mixed with my gaming on a SLI setup. Thoughts? Im sure the best bang for the buck will be the 6 Core variety but ive been saving for a long time to go balls out :)

Is 10-core consumer/extreme broadwell confirmed? Did I miss something?

Ive been following these news articles and apart from the microcode patch, no one knows if this next HEDT CPU will be BWE or SLE. I guess we can assume Intel might wanna drag it out as they have all the time in the world to do so, but Intel did say it was only meant to be a small refresh for mobile and what not, the Broadwell E lineup.

Personally i need single thread performance so ill have to look at the 6 core options as ill probably need to OC a bit. Better said, probably WANT to. I cant see this 10 core being over 3ghz, whereas the 6 is probably gonna knock on 4.

I guess all the benchies will snap one up

Not me. I refuse to pay the predicted prices for a processor. I'd sooner buy another beater vehicle, or put that $ on the mortgage, or buy another gun.

As it stand now, even $350 is the upper limit I'd pay for a processor. Especially when it will probably be dead or only worth 1/4 of its present value in 5 years.

Not me. I refuse to pay the predicted prices for a processor. I'd sooner buy another beater vehicle, or put that $ on the mortgage, or buy another gun.

As it stand now, even $350 is the upper limit I'd pay for a processor. Especially when it will probably be dead or only worth 1/4 of its present value in 5 years.
LOL your budget is larger than mine haha I can't justify spending that kind of cash just so I can have a sweet benchmark

Definitely buy used, and Intel (for now at least). I'm really happy that I did with my Ivy Xeon (in sig).

I'm rocking Dual 18 Cores
For what I do (as primarily a medical imaging software developer) I could use lots of cores like this but I still need at least a turbo of around 4 GHz for the algorithms that are mostly single threaded.

I'll probably drop some change on one but not before some decent overclocking results are confirmed. My current 5960X can only seem to manage 4.2Ghz at 1.3V which is disappointing.

I'll probably drop some change on one but not before some decent overclocking results are confirmed. My current 5960X can only seem to manage 4.2Ghz at 1.3V which is disappointing.

Drop some change? Can i come to your house ^.^ ?

For what I do (as primarily a medical imaging software developer) I could use lots of cores like this but I still need at least a turbo of around 4 GHz for the algorithms that are mostly single threaded.

And that is what my "other" system is for. Running at 4.5GHz.

I guess that in most [H]ard use cases, there is no such thing as "All Purpose".

Like when I lived in Canada, All Season tires, were known as NO Season tires.

I doubt it. Already rocking 2 ten cores. Unless the broadwell 10 core overclocks significantly I doubt it will be faster then 2 ten cores for content creation.

I have been saving up. But would still need to see results before making the move. Also would be nice to know more about Skylake E, just to compare.

I would be interested if they had a 200W version.

Amen to that...actually what they need to do is drop a "2" in front of the "65W"...:D

Dear Intel, I'll take one E5 1699v4, thanks.

I've been begging Intel for years for an unlocked chip with the top core count...I think until Zen kicks them in the posterior (if it even does), we won't see anything other than the very modest two core increase rumored with Broadwell-E.

With the fiasco surrounding the E3 V5 and Z170, it wouldn't surprise me to see X99 be the last enthusiast chipset capable of running any Xeon and that ALL (even single processor E5) Xeons are hardlocked, starting with Skylake-EP (or maybe even for the E5-1600 V4 Xeons)...:(

I already have a 5820k, and I feel like I'm already pretty far into overkill territory in terms of the number of cores. I won't be looking at Broadwell-E unless it also comes with a nice IPC increase, which I doubt. Remember, Broadwell is just Haswell with a die shrink, it's not new like Skylake - and even Skylake's IPC increases were very modest. Some might be excited about Broadwell-E based on how well Broadwell (5775c) performed on the desktop, but that got almost all of it's performance boost from it's huge eDRAM L4 cache. The only reason Broadwell (5775c) has that eDRAM at all is because it's shared with it's onboard GPU, which Broadwell-E will not have...

Isn't that going to come in at $2500+ though? :p

Maybe, the 45watt version is $1200 for the CPU only and since its a BGA it has to come with some snazzy platform with 2+10GigE porks and some fancy Mezzine connector.

I'm seriously thinking of going dual 8 core/16 thread E5-2670's since they are on blowout on Ebay...should make a great virtualization machine.

Lightweights... Get the 65W 16 core Xeon D1587.

At it's utterly pathetic clock speed and TDP? The 10-core when overclocked should come very close to matching the multithreaded performance of the D1587 and totally destroy it in single threaded performance.

I'm seriously thinking of going dual 8 core/16 thread E5-2670's since they are on blowout on Ebay...should make a great virtualization machine.

The clocks are too low on those chips...:(

When is i7-6800k coming out?

Wondering the same. My i5-2500k is getting a little long in the tooth, I bought it the night they released in January of 2011. BF4 and The Division are showing the age of my CPU.

What I'm wondering is how this naming nomenclature for the Extremes is gonna be when these new laptop Skylakes are carrying the 6770/6870/6970HQ SKUs?

Wondering the same. My i5-2500k is getting a little long in the tooth, I bought it the night they released in January of 2011. BF4 and The Division are showing the age of my CPU.

What video card are you running with your 2500K? Reason being my main rig is a 2600K with 980s in SLi running on a Acer Predator 3440X1440P pushing crazy frames and my secondary rig is a 2500K running 770 gtxs in sli at 1920X1200 pushing great FPS too on all games. There has been no reason to upgrade CPUs forever, only reason im going to go with a New CPU this time around is I just really want to build something new.

What video card are you running with your 2500K? Reason being my main rig is a 2600K with 980s in SLi running on a Acer Predator 3440X1440P pushing crazy frames and my secondary rig is a 2500K running 770 gtxs in sli at 1920X1200 pushing great FPS too on all games. There has been no reason to upgrade CPUs forever, only reason im going to go with a New CPU this time around is I just really want to build something new.

980 Ti@1393/7700 Mhz. in The Division (closed and open betas) fps drops down to the 40's, cpu stays pegged at 100% usage while my gpu drops down to 60-70% usage at times. this occurs when looking down long streets or just open areas of the map with lots of players. there's just too much going on in the world for my i5-2500K to keep up. that's my assumption anyway.

980 Ti@1393/7700 Mhz. in The Division (closed and open betas) fps drops down to the 40's, cpu stays pegged at 100% usage while my gpu drops down to 60-70% usage at times. this occurs when looking down long streets or just open areas of the map with lots of players. there's just too much going on in the world for my i5-2500K to keep up. that's my assumption anyway.

It seems so. I installed The Division on my x58 computer and it ran great @ any settings with CPU usage @ 55-60% on all 12 cores. You need more real cores or hyper-threading.

Back