Anyone have any high capactity USB flash drive they are rather fond of?

DariustheSandman

Weaksauce
You can't really find them in stores too often it seems, but I'm in the market for one. I bought a couple 8 gb ones a while back, and one died soon after I bought it and one works fine....

I would like one that's under $100, in fact the closer to 50 the better, but the big concerns are capacity and durability, with speed as a distant third. I carry my flash drives around in my pocket or on a key chain, so they do get dropped occasionally. Anyway, what do you guys use?

What do you consider high capacity? I use an 8gb Sandisk Cruzer thats been working just fine. I think i paid 25-30 bucks for it at Best Buy at one point...listed as 45 now though.

I'm hoping for something that is 16 gb or better. For under $100, i really am stuck at 32gb or under. Anything over that generally runs $150 or better, which at that point I might as well just get a eSATA or USB external HD. Put I'm looking for something a bit more portable than that.

Here is another option.

Grab this OCZ Agility 30GB SSD and put it in a case off ebay.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227460

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-5-SATA-SSD-HD...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a572fb732

It will still be small and way faster. You could always use it again later in a laptop or something. The drive even comes with a crappy 8GB SDHC. haha

You could also get a laptop drive and a case on ebay for it as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136099

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Patriot's Xporter is one of the most reliable USB keys you can buy. Or at least it has one of the most reliable track records.

the SUPER TALENT PICO Series C drives look like the ones to buy, IMO. I haven't used one but they can perform 30MB/s which will saturate USB 2.0 anyway.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...CCwQrQQwAg&cid=6085129621515822274&sa=title#p

I have to agree. I have the 4 gb model, and it is just so small, convenient, durable, and stylish. I've broken tons of flash drives before by having people (me) walk into them or bump them while they are plugged in (by accident) and bending the usb connector off.

This little guy I take everywhere with me. Super-solid construction, not a chance of ever bending the usb connector as it's a solid metal casing, (and the connectors are directly on the pcb of the key!) and it can't apply much torque to usb ports as it is so small.

I wouldn't go higher than 16gb with it, as some people report reliability issues with the 32 gb model.

Also, they have a gold plated version. That is awesome.
Not on newegg, they actually dropped most of their stock of it (to my dismay), but check elsewhere.

But these little guys are way cool. I'm going to order twenty of them when I get a chance, so I never run out. I'm more likely to lose them than break them.

I bought a Toshiba 16gig flash drive at Sams Club for about 38 bucks. It's performed flawlessy and is more than fast enough. As a bonus, it even survived a trip through the washing machine without loosing any data.

ive got a generic 8gb thumbdrive from microcenter. I believe its a "house branded" one(has the green plastic over it) and i payed $25. Well worth it for solid speeds and performance. I do think it performs faster than my sandisk cruzer but i dont have numbers to back that. Overall, it has been solid with no troubles to talk about.

+3 for Patriot XPorter. I bought a 32 GB back when 32 GB was huge, and I love it. Never once had a problem (except I lost the cap). Since I bought mine, my brother and my dad both bought identical models.

The metal ones look great and all, but unless you're going to be running it over, the rubber sided XPorter is extremely durable and will meet your needs.

I figure if your flash drive is getting run over, you've probably already lost the thing anyways.

My gf just picked me up a Kingston 16gb from microcenter for about 30 bucks, haven't really messed with it yet, but thats a good price.

Back