Anyone have pics of Westinghouse 37" LCD??

wow. what an amazing screen!

So 1920x1080 res? How does it look with DVI? I mean is the image crisp? Any chance I can get some upclose pics of an icon or something? Does power saving work with this? Seriously, Im amazed with this! I've been looking at getting a nice HDTV for my room, but never though of getting one that would also be semi good for PC application. I was considering getting a 2407FPW in a couple months. But I dunno now.... This thing is awesome!

I mean, would this thing work for everyday use in surfing the web, photoshopping, and just general PC use? Or is the size kinda a hamper on those things? This thing is really raising my eyebrow since I can use it for my my computer, TV, and Xbox 360.

Raines8416 said:
wow. what an amazing screen!

So 1920x1080 res? How does it look with DVI? I mean is the image crisp?

This thing is really raising my eyebrow since I can use it for my my computer, TV, and Xbox 360.

I am still waiting for more pictuers from people who have them
haha

well, the dell 30 inch just released with a price of $2200... Im officially interested in this now.

Raines8416 said:
well, the dell 30 inch just released with a price of $2200... Im officially interested in this now.

Goto a Best Buy and check it out... every day I fall more and more in love with my Westy

Huggles said:
37 is still not big enough

I would get a 60" or bigger with the Apple's resolution if I could find one

I like bigger too but the Apple and the new Dell require dual-link DVI video cards and those kind of cards are just not made for gaming. They are made for CAD and video editing. Until the mainstream gaming video cards start coming with dual-link DVI, those monitors will not be very useful for gaming and so I will have to pass on them. It is my understanding that SLI does not help, you still need dual-link DVI card(s) to drive the DVI at that resolution.

Tshober

Huggles said:
Goto a Best Buy and check it out... every day I fall more and more in love with my Westy

Is it in the TV section or the Computer section?

Tshober said:
I like bigger too but the Apple and the new Dell require dual-link DVI video cards and those kind of cards are just not made for gaming. They are made for CAD and video editing. Until the mainstream gaming video cards start coming with dual-link DVI, those monitors will not be very useful for gaming and so I will have to pass on them. It is my understanding that SLI does not help, you still need dual-link DVI card(s) to drive the DVI at that resolution.

Tshober

All of the 6800 ultras and 7800s have Duel Link DVI conections not sure about the 6800 GTs

Tiny said:
Is it in the TV section or the Computer section?

It is a TV first and foremost so its in the TV section

andrew911tt said:
All of the 6800 ultras and 7800s have Duel Link DVI conections not sure about the 6800 GTs

Hmm, NVIDIA gives a slightly different answer here:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...Xh0PWFwcGxlIGR1YWwgbGluaw**&p_li=&p_topview=1

Only the Geforce 7800 and QuadroFX support the Apple monitor (and presumabely the new Dell too) on Windows. So, only the very newest mainstream cards are offering dual-link DVI support. But that does bode well for the future support of ultra-high res and large monitors.

Tshober

So since it is a TV first....can anyone comment on how well it does with that? TV viewing I mean.

The funny thing is, Ive actually be considering getting a job at bestbuy. I wonder what kinda discount I would get on this...

Tshober said:
Hmm, NVIDIA gives a slightly different answer here:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...Xh0PWFwcGxlIGR1YWwgbGluaw**&p_li=&p_topview=1

Only the Geforce 7800 and QuadroFX support the Apple monitor (and presumabely the new Dell too) on Windows. So, only the very newest mainstream cards are offering dual-link DVI support. But that does bode well for the future support of ultra-high res and large monitors.

Tshober

I could be wrong but i think i remember reading that someone on here was running an apple 30" on a 6800 ultra I could be wrong though

That's honestly too big, I think my neck would get strained looking from one side to the other as I'm forced to sit relatively close to my display. I'd prefer to have an extremely high resolution small display over a big display with the same DPI.

30" seems the maximum practical limit for desktop work to me, anything beyond that is just gratuitious IMHO. It does look VERY nice for gaming and movies though.

Raines8416 said:
The funny thing is, Ive actually be considering getting a job at bestbuy. I wonder what kinda discount I would get on this...

Hook it up!!!

I didnt get a chance to go to bestbuy today. Ill see if i can get over there tomorrow...

i'll post pics if i can. even though it is suppose to be an lcd tv, there is no tuner. you have to provide you own tuner. the clarity on dvi is incredible for a 37in lcd. of course its no 2405fpw or ACD, but it can hold its own. unless you are uber clarity-phile (dunno if there is even a word for that), the dvi1 connection on the 37in looks great. i've have the 2405 and the 37westy. i wont say they look the same but the westy is impressive considering it's size. its not blurry at all and text looks great. but remember to USE DVI1!!!!!!!!!!!!!! don't use VGA or DVI2. I can not stress this enough, DVI1 only!!!

Conclusion: Westy looks pretty damn good, not the best but good enough. Use DVI1. DVI2 will give you a crappy resolution of 1280x1024. Once you go big, you really can't go back. My next screen will either be a 45+ in or a projector.

Personal Preference: I like 1920x1080, and for ME its not that different from 1920x1200. I'm sure the higher resolution of the Dell 3007fpw and the 30in ACD is nicer but for me this is good enough.

Raines8416 said:

5% over cost. But you didn't hear that from me. I didn't hear it either..........psst....they are watching :eek:

Tiny said:
5% over cost. But you didn't hear that from me. I didn't hear it either..........psst....they are watching :eek:

What is "cost" for this monitor? I have a "friend" who works at BB.

Heck if I know. All I know is that when....."a friend of mine"......worked there, they would have to take the upc code up to a cashier and check the employee price.

That "friend", got me a set of floor standing speakers for 288 less then retail. :D

That "friend" no longer works there....cause I....err..."he" got a new job.

Tiny said:

Hahaha! Cool, I was gonna put in my application last night but I fell ill with a Flu. I will probably take it in next week. I've just been so bored lately. I go to a local college and all my friends go to different state schools. So I'm pretty much a loner all semester until a break rolls around. Not to mention all my classes are over before 1pm, so I would be able to take some pretty steady hours in the evening every day. I dunno why I picked bestbuy, there is just something about the environment that I like I guess. I hope I get to work in either TVs or Media, frankly I hate dealing with people when it comes to computer and help.

LOL, what is funny is for the last two months I have had this monster I have never even used it to watch cable tv even though that is what it is primarily made for because I generally download tv shows now..

All i know is SD is terrible on this machine because I tested it on cspan for a minute just to see and it looked like the old VHS days of the 90s.

Since I just download hdtv tv shows at 480-720p and since there are no decent series I have liked much lately besides prison break, rome, lost I don't bother paying extra for digital cable. Only things I see myself missing out on that I can't find on the net are the science/tech chans.

Otherwise, divx/xvid HR HDTV rips look beautiful on this rig. This thing is so great because you can do anything you want from two feet away as I am right now or four feet away on a couch or recliner and both options are amazing experiences (assuming you have a wireless setup).

The Westy 37" is a versatile monitor that can do anything. I can't wait till the ps3 comes out so I can finally use the 1080p this monitor is capable of with dvds. I would say that there will be more of these type of TVs once the next gen dvds come out that are even better than the Westy. As of now there isn't much in terms of competition that can even do input/output 1080p so when you think about all things considered you are paying $1500 for a product that in my opinion is worth about $3000 to people like us.

Maybe when I get unlazy I will take closeup pics of some games like guildwars over the weekend. Speaking of which, I need to find a good bow...

Barrack said:
Maybe when I get unlazy I will take closeup pics of some games like guildwars over the weekend. Speaking of which, I need to find a good bow...

I have an account full of great gear i dont need anymore.. how bout 1300 + the account for your westy?? hahaha!

Barrack said:
LOL, what is funny is for the last two months I have had this monster I have never even used it to watch cable tv even though that is what it is primarily made for because I generally download tv shows now..

All i know is SD is terrible on this machine because I tested it on cspan for a minute just to see and it looked like the old VHS days of the 90s.

Since I just download hdtv tv shows at 480-720p and since there are no decent series I have liked much lately besides prison break, rome, lost I don't bother paying extra for digital cable. Only things I see myself missing out on that I can't find on the net are the science/tech chans.

Otherwise, divx/xvid HR HDTV rips look beautiful on this rig. This thing is so great because you can do anything you want from two feet away as I am right now or four feet away on a couch or recliner and both options are amazing experiences (assuming you have a wireless setup).

The Westy 37" is a versatile monitor that can do anything. I can't wait till the ps3 comes out so I can finally use the 1080p this monitor is capable of with dvds. I would say that there will be more of these type of TVs once the next gen dvds come out that are even better than the Westy. As of now there isn't much in terms of competition that can even do input/output 1080p so when you think about all things considered you are paying $1500 for a product that in my opinion is worth about $3000 to people like us.

Thats pretty much how all non HD sources are on a HDTV. And the bigger the TV, the more it shows.

Anywho, so how is this for everyday use? Is the text crisp and legible at a normal distance. Normal for a computer monitor I mean, with your face back a few feet. How do images and stuff look on it? Is photoshop and stuff alright on this?

I dont plan on it, but basically I want to know if this thing is good enough to replace a normal LCD computer monitor? I plan on keeping my 2001FP, but it would be nice if this thing was still good for surfing the web and working on webpages and stuff.

Well, im pretty sure this has been stated previously this thread but.... If you buy this TV, your not finished purchasing stuff for it. It DOESNT come with a DVI cable, and those are not cheap. ALSO, it doesnt come with a TV tuner.... So if you plain to watch TV in HD, be ready to spend an additional 150-200 bucks to get the TV up and runing...

And i quote "Note: HD-ready TV monitor only; external tuner required for HD and conventional TV viewing"

Kinda stupid if you ask me...

Anyone know of any deals on this TV?? best i can find is 1800, which is rather high when i see you guys saying 1400-1500 ...

1. Awesome for surfing and design work

2. DVI cables are $25, as long as you don't go with RIP OFF CABLES like Monster.

Huggles said:
2. DVI cables are $25, as long as you don't go with RIP OFF CABLES like Monster.

yea but you need to buy a TV tuner also if you plan to use it as a TV... So its more than 25 bucks... And where are u finding good DVI wire, about 6-10ft long thats 25 bucks? Around here it cost 25bucks for a 3ft DVI cable...

Deutch420 said:
DAMN those prices are literally 1/10th of bestbuys prices..

It's well-known that the accessories sold by BestBuy, Circuit City, etc have huge markups and are very profitable for those retailers. "....to get the very best signals ya gotta also get Monster Cables, which are right here for you to add to your order..."

If people buy a tuner-less monitor, they tend to use (the TV tuners provided by) VCRs, settop boxes, etc...

If a PC is providing the tuner-less monitor's signal, then a PC TV Tuner (AIWs, Hauppauge, Dvico Fusion, etc) provides the TV output to the monitor.

Deutch420 said:
Well, im pretty sure this has been stated previously this thread but.... If you buy this TV, your not finished purchasing stuff for it. It DOESNT come with a DVI cable, and those are not cheap. ALSO, it doesnt come with a TV tuner.... So if you plain to watch TV in HD, be ready to spend an additional 150-200 bucks to get the TV up and runing...

And i quote "Note: HD-ready TV monitor only; external tuner required for HD and conventional TV viewing"

Kinda stupid if you ask me...

Anyone know of any deals on this TV?? best i can find is 1800, which is rather high when i see you guys saying 1400-1500 ...

$1500 and about $70 shipping:

J & R

Huggles said:
DVI cables are $25, as long as you don't go with RIP OFF CABLES like Monster.

Or even less for a decent shielded cable (not retail. Total rip for cables). This is a digital signal. You don't need a fancy cable.

XEERO, thanks for your post (Page 3)..
It answers things that were bothering me about going from 1920x1200 rez. (my 23" HP, LCD) DOWN to 1920x1080 rez of Westy 37".
You say the drop in rez doesn't look too bad, huh?
And that thing about "make sure you use DVI-1 cable, not DVI-2 cable" is news to me. Thanks again. ;)

BTW, 37" is kinda big. Does Westy have a 30" LCD? Any good? That would be a nice "move up" from my 23" Hewlett Packard LCD. I'm passing on the new Dell 30" LCD-------the $2.2K price is deal-breaker.

Well i went to bestbuy to check out the Westy. Boy was i disappointed.. Not only did they have Top gun playing (like 15 years old) they had it hooked up with shitty ass wires... I asked the guy if he could hook it up real fast with a DVI. He said he had none laying around.. I was like, no one returned any? he said no. I asked him if he could get me a laptop to hook up to it real quick. Absolutly not. lol.

I was talking to him about the resolution and such.. he seemed to semi know what he was talking about. Only thing this guy had to say that i didnt already know is that a cable box is a tv tuner... might be a noob thing, but i didnt know that.. Cool thing is i get a lot of HD chennals... buahahah...

The text on the tv was TERRIBLE and blurry. Def WOULDNT be able to use it as a moniter while hooked up like this... with that said IT WASNT HOOKED UP WITH DVI. so im not saying it doesnt have the potential, im just saying the way they had it hooked up, it looked like crap. Also, I found 4 dead pixels (all blue) and i was only looking at the black bars above and below the movie... god knows how many more there were... Also, upper left hand corner had TERRIBLE light leakage. I asked the guy how long the LCD had ben there.. he said not long... I then asked him if he had any clue about dead/stuck pixels and backlight leakage.. he didnt.. so whatever, i didnt get to chew his ear out some more, oh well..

So, after my trip to bestbuy, im not wanting the LCD more, or less... im still iffy bout it...

here are 2 pics..
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=1/517203944.jpg&s=x11
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=1/517211397.jpg&s=x11 :D

>shakes head<

I'm guessing Best Buy is trying to make that monitor look as bad as possible?!

That looks TERRIBLE.

Huggles said:
>shakes head<

I'm guessing Best Buy is trying to make that monitor look as bad as possible?!

That looks TERRIBLE.

Yup. And the staff wasnt the slightest bit helpful.. I mean, he said he had it hooked up to a dvd player, and they have HD DVD's in the back... He coulda just grabbed a DVI cable and the DVD and possibly made a sale. But its bestbuy.. not like I was expecting service:rolleyes:.. All the other TV's were XBox360 highlights and new movies.. the Westy was the only one with a shit movie on shit cables..

BTW, Huggles, i think u can add the 3007FPW to the "overpriced" part of your sig....

My quick review of the Westinghouse.

HIGHS: Very good PC picture quality. Excellent for daily computing use (1920x1080, DVI is best!), plenty of inputs for the new consoles and other devices, PIP, lots of display options, relatively inexpensive, friggin' BIG. Excels at gaming, movies, HDTV watching, PC'ing

LOWS: None, really. Mine has 1 dead pixel, VGA at native res is blurry.

VERDICT: To me, there is no other monitor worth getting, especially at this price range. It's future-proof.

SUMMARY:
Using the DVI, picture quality/detail is as good and sharp as any LCD i've seen (it's a giant PC monitor, basically), but it is an LCD so the black levels can't match a CRT/Plasma. Do not use the VGA at 1920x1080, as it is blurry and gives a false impression of crappiness. Lower resolutions don't show much diff between DVI/VGA. For other resolutions like 5:4, 4:3, you can set it to fill the screen or display it 1:1 and have black bars on the sides. It is very bright so I turned the backlight down to 20, but beware, some settings (30-50) emit a faint, but annoying chirping or buzzing on white content.

At 1920x1080 there is a ton of desktop space, think Photoshop/Excel etc. I now run all my games at this native res, forcing me to upgrade my video card. Without AA almost every game runs way over 60fps. I have the ATI HDTV Wonder and good HD content (Superbowl, Conan O'Brien, prime time shows, WMVHD) looks absolutely gorgeous. If you sit too close, though, you can really see the compression artifacts on fast-moving stuff since the screen's so big. The bottom line is, you get huge PC monitor that's ready for anything, has reasonably good picture quality (people keep comparing it to much more expensive displays), and it costs ~$1700.

The problem people have with the Westy 37" ( I have one ) is that they have it in their minds that it's like all over LCD TV's to date. It's not.

This is a true HD Monitor that does 1080p .... end of story.

Content looks great, especially when using as a monitor.

1920 x 1080 is as good if not better than what I had on my Dell 2005 and Dell 2405.

I plan on making a huge post with many screens of many games, HDTV and DVD.

When? I don't know. But soon.

If only the Westy didnt have poor black levels....

"As we expected from a flat-panel LCD, the Westinghouse LVM-37W1 didn't produce a very deep black and surprisingly truncated some detail in white areas. This combo was visible when watching one of our favorite test scenes, "Chapter 3: Awakening" from Alien: The Director's Cut. When the door to the hibernation room opened, the Westinghouse's poor black level buried much of the detail in the dimly lit scene. Once the lights came on, the bright highlights on the windows of the hibernation pods became blown out and difficult to view. The Sharp LC-37D7U we had on hand soundly beat the Westinghouse in terms of rendering deeper, cleaner blacks and dark areas of the picture, and it didn't crush whites."

rm19 said:
My quick review of the Westinghouse.

HIGHS: Very good PC picture quality. Excellent for daily computing use (1920x1080, DVI is best!), plenty of inputs for the new consoles and other devices, PIP, lots of display options, relatively inexpensive, friggin' BIG. Excels at gaming, movies, HDTV watching, PC'ing

LOWS: None, really. Mine has 1 dead pixel, VGA at native res is blurry.

VERDICT: To me, there is no other monitor worth getting, especially at this price range. It's future-proof.

SUMMARY:
Using the DVI, picture quality/detail is as good and sharp as any LCD i've seen (it's a giant PC monitor, basically), but it is an LCD so the black levels can't match a CRT/Plasma. Do not use the VGA at 1920x1080, as it is blurry and gives a false impression of crappiness. Lower resolutions don't show much diff between DVI/VGA. For other resolutions like 5:4, 4:3, you can set it to fill the screen or display it 1:1 and have black bars on the sides. It is very bright so I turned the backlight down to 20, but beware, some settings (30-50) emit a faint, but annoying chirping or buzzing on white content.

At 1920x1080 there is a ton of desktop space, think Photoshop/Excel etc. I now run all my games at this native res, forcing me to upgrade my video card. Without AA almost every game runs way over 60fps. I have the ATI HDTV Wonder and good HD content (Superbowl, Conan O'Brien, prime time shows, WMVHD) looks absolutely gorgeous. If you sit too close, though, you can really see the compression artifacts on fast-moving stuff since the screen's so big. The bottom line is, you get huge PC monitor that's ready for anything, has reasonably good picture quality (people keep comparing it to much more expensive displays), and it costs ~$1700.

Great post! Thank you very much, you should be the one getting the commision when I buy one in the next month or so!

Thanks. Just know that Westinghouse now has a larger 42" model that has a faster 8ms response time, sleeker cabinet, sub-woofer, HDMI input, and both of the DVI inputs support 1080p now. My 37" has a 12ms response time, no sub-woofer, no HDMI and only one DVI supports 1080p (the other DVI only does 1080i, for regular, non-PC HDTV purposes and a handful of lower PC resolutions).

I'm not a videophile by any means, but the allegedly poor black levels are not nearly as bad as many say. Certainly they are no worse than the many models I shopped that didn't have 1080p, were smaller, and cost hundreds more.

Westinghouse 1080P Models

EDIT: I found a pic I took with Battlefield 2 at 1920x1080, High settings:
R0010318.jpg

Back