Anyone have the ETA for PCIE cards yet?

Ockie

*** Self Proclaimed Storage King ***
I'm still waiting :( I only have a pcie slot availible.

psychoace said:
Right after Ageia goes bankrupt.

lol

well personally I think ageia is missing their largest market segment, considering that enthusiasts who buys these things are the type of people to already have pcie (not to mention sli) and wants the latest technology.

Whoever comes out with pcie physics technology I'm going to go with, it's my only choice :(

Ockie said:
lol

well personally I think ageia is missing their largest market segment, considering that enthusiasts who buys these things are the type of people to already have pcie (not to mention sli) and wants the latest technology.

Whoever comes out with pcie physics technology I'm going to go with, it's my only choice :(

There are a FAR lot more PCI ports out there than PCI-E ports...

Terracide - Early adopters pay the price..for PhysX..or a mobo with insufficient PCI-slots...

Let's say I have a sli setup i have only 2 pci slots then (most boards do). The one is used for my sound card (it's a hella lot better then on-board). I am now out of pci slots (this also happened to Maximum Pc magazine in there review of Ageia's card). Hmmmm I have a free pci-e 1x slot open inbetween my sli but Ageia is only under an old legacy standard. With the 300 bucks I would be paying you would think they would have the extra do to spend on a better connector.

Terra said:
There are a FAR lot more PCI ports out there than PCI-E ports...

Terracide - Early adopters pay the price..for PhysX..or a mobo with insufficient PCI-slots...

Thanks for that great insight Steve Hawking. There are greater numbers of interest PCIE slots in ENTHUSIASTS computers than there are in PCI.

Enthusiast is anyone wanting cutting edge and always remain on the ball in terms of computer technology.

I have 1 pcie 1x slot that is not blocked right now, but no pci ones

Audigy 2 zs
Ide controler card
Wireless card

kahunaking said:
I have 1 pcie 1x slot that is not blocked right now, but no pci ones

Audigy 2 zs
Ide controler card
Wireless card

You can always get a pcie controller or a usb wifi dongle.

I have none of those options :(

why pay for another item then spend 300 bucks for the ppu when they can just make a pci-e card?

Sure they can Asus and BFG but it's not economicale now with thoose low volume sales. It will be if they will sell more of them. They could go for different card's. For now it's not.

Maybe when UT2007 comes out. Card sell may rise so the option for more variants are a more economical option to do.

psychoace said:
why pay for another item then spend 300 bucks for the ppu when they can just make a pci-e card?

exactly, why spend 300 on the latest cutting edge piece of hardware when you want to be able to have that little security of future proof pcie?

Also, it's not like they can't make it, they tested pcie and even released them to the media.

Also they got to remember they are in a new field and doing new things so in order to gain our trust they need to cater to us first and formost. You don't gain customers by telling them that they need to upgrade or do this or do that in order to use there product. With a well known and trusted brand this can be done but It's not going to work with a company that is untrusted.

Still waiting for PCI-E :( That one pcie slot that I do have is begging for attention

Ockie said:
Still waiting for PCI-E :( That one pcie slot that I do have is begging for attention

How much other hardware has gone PCI-E?
Apart from grahpics cards, isn't the majority of hardware only avaiable in PCI?

Terra - People are acting like AGEIA is lagging behind every one else in going PCI-E :confused:

Terra said:
How much other hardware has gone PCI-E?
Apart from grahpics cards, isn't the majority of hardware only avaiable in PCI?

Terra - People are acting like AGEIA is lagging behind every one else in going PCI-E :confused:

Maybe they arn't putting anything on the pci-e slot's is because they are waiting for more and more people to transition to the new format so they will have a broader market to sell to? Also there is a Tv Tuner that uses PCI-E and network cards. Anyhow I thought you would also want PCI-E because it means more bandwidth for the Ageia to push it's 2 terabytes through.

psychoace said:
Maybe they arn't putting anything on the pci-e slot's is because they are waiting for more and more people to transition to the new format so they will have a broader market to sell to? Also there is a Tv Tuner that uses PCI-E and network cards. Anyhow I thought you would also want PCI-E because it means more bandwidth for the Ageia to push it's 2 terabytes through.

The 2 TeraBytes/sec is INTERNAL bandwith, nothing to do with the PCI bus ;)
Like the X1900XT's internal bandwith(less than 50 gigabytes/sec) got nothing to do with PCI-E x16 ;)

Terra...

The DFI boards from Expert, Venus, their crossfire board and even the new 590 boards for both intel and amd SLI will run two PCI cards and dual slot cooled video cards, so you can have the best of all worlds.

J-Mag said:
The DFI boards from Expert, Venus, their crossfire board and even the new 590 boards for both intel and amd SLI will run two PCI cards and dual slot cooled video cards, so you can have the best of all worlds.

yeah the expert is great .. i was run sli with dual slot coolers .. ppu and xfi .. no problems :D

I have 1 PCIe x1 slot and 3 PCI slots - but the fat-ass HSFs on my X1900s cover the PCIe and one of the PCIs, and another PCI has my soundcard in it, so PCI is the only option for me. But while there is no software I'm interested in supporting the PPU, I won't be buying one. And by the time the software's there, I'll be on my next build with a pair of R600s and 3 PCIe x16 slots, leaving my X1900s free for use for physics. And of course ATi have drivers for x64 (for graphics at least). I can't see quite how Ageia appeals.

JDAdams said:
I have 1 PCIe x1 slot and 3 PCI slots - but the fat-ass HSFs on my X1900s cover the PCIe and one of the PCIs, and another PCI has my soundcard in it, so PCI is the only option for me. But while there is no software I'm interested in supporting the PPU, I won't be buying one. And by the time the software's there, I'll be on my next build with a pair of R600s and 3 PCIe x16 slots, leaving my X1900s free for use for effect-physics. And of course ATi have drivers for x64 (for graphics at least). I can't see quite how Ageia appeals.

Fixed...

Terra - PhysX Driver 2.5x will be 64-bit too...

I have a PCI express x8 slot and a PCI slot, which card should I get when I decide to buy one, thanks.

Personally I'd go for the PCIe - it'll last longer and you won't need one really soon anyway.

Ageia's saying a few months for PCIe now - according to their dev FAQs.

BMWlover said:
I have a PCI express x8 slot and a PCI slot, which card should I get when I decide to buy one, thanks.

You can only buy PCI PhysX cards for now.
PCI-E cards are comming though...by the end of the year I think.

Terra - Wait and see is my advice for you :)

Terra said:
You can only buy PCI PhysX cards for now.
PCI-E cards are comming though...by the end of the year I think.

Terra - Wait and see is my advice for you :)

Yeah, I am aware PCIe is still some time off and I am just wondering way in advance which bus would give me the best performance for price. I don't want to pay a lot more money for a PCIe x16 card only to be running it at x8 speeds. The PCI solution might be a better price/performance for my system.

BMWlover said:
Yeah, I am aware PCIe is still some time off and I am just wondering way in advance which bus would give me the best performance for price. I don't want to pay a lot more money for a PCIe x16 card only to be running it at x8 speeds. The PCI solution might be a better price/performance for my system.

It'll be a PCIe 1x or 4x - so it'll use the smaller slots on your board...

BMWlover said:

I doubt that the PCI-E version will be faster.
The way I understand it is that the PPU is more depandt on thight timings that speed( the bus)

Terra....

Terra said:
I doubt that the PCI-E version will be faster.
The way I understand it is that the PPU is more depandt on thight timings that speed( the bus)

Terra....

Well there will be less latency when running off PCI-E, especially if it is running off the NB vs. SB (mobo dependent)...

J-Mag said:
Well there will be less latency when running off PCI-E, especially if it is running off the NB vs. SB (mobo dependent)...

Still the data moved is MUCH less that eg. to a graphics card.
All the caculations and run and stored on onboard RAM.
Only the results are feed back to the CPU.

I actually doubt that the data transmitted(results) between the CPU and PPU are any bigger than what goes on with a X-Fi and the CPU regarding sounddata a(for games that uses X-RAM).

Terra - But it's only a wild guess, as I don't know how to meassure the load on the PCI bus...

Yep its just waiting for Physics benchmarking and then we no if PCI is enough or not oppost to PCI-E

I don't honestly believe there is a huge point in moving to the pci-e bus. That said i believe they should switch just like soundcards should then we can have all pci-e in all it's various sizes and configurations.

Ver1tas said:
I don't honestly believe there is a huge point in moving to the pci-e bus. That said i believe they should switch just like soundcards should then we can have all pci-e in all it's various sizes and configurations.

Most people already have there sound cards why would they get a new one just so they can buy a ppu when Ageia can easily make a PCI-E card instead for us people who arn't super rich. If Ageia want's to get into the market they are going to have to learn to please the consumer and they arn't by keeping there API propietary (Sony does the same thing they don't allow anyone to use there technology) and by not giving people the option to choose a different bus.

psychoace said:
Most people already have there sound cards why would they get a new one just so they can buy a ppu when Ageia can easily make a PCI-E card instead for us people who arn't super rich. If Ageia want's to get into the market they are going to have to learn to please the consumer and they arn't by keeping there API propietary (Sony does the same thing they don't allow anyone to use there technology) and by not giving people the option to choose a different bus.

exactly, we already have sound cards and all of the other top of the line toys, but no pci space for the ppu... but most if not all users have a pcie slot open to use.

BMWlover said:

my advice, is to wait until the PCI-E cards come out. At that point there will likely be a price drop on the pci cards. Your best bet would be to buy a pci-e version, as its going to stick around for a while, and who knows how many PCI slots will be on your next mobo. If you dont think you will build again for a while, then go for the (most likely cheaper) pci version. PCI will be around for a while, atleast on the mid to low range comps.

psychoace said:

I agree with you but you missed my point. I meant that sound cars, tv tuners, ppu, etc should be pci-e so when people are buying new motherboards they can just have all pci-e slots and all the cards can be pci-e. NO pci whatsoever. I never meant trash your brand new x-fi, but i'm saying all pci should be phased out just like they should quit making games with 5 cd's instead of 1 dvd.

Ver1tas said:
I agree with you but you missed my point. I meant that sound cars, tv tuners, ppu, etc should be pci-e so when people are buying new motherboards they can just have all pci-e slots and all the cards can be pci-e. NO pci whatsoever. I never meant trash your brand new x-fi, but i'm saying all pci should be phased out just like they should quit making games with 5 cd's instead of 1 dvd.

You can already buy sound cards (professional cards), tv tuners, nics, wifi, and all that on pci-e.

But the point is, when you bring in a new technology that NO one has before, why not make it a "new" technology. The thing is people already dunked $300 into their soundcards and $150 into thier tuners, so why should they have to upgrade those simply becuase AGEIA doesn't want to make pcie right off the bat? You make the new guy jump, not the old guys.

Ockie said:
You can already buy sound cards (professional cards), tv tuners, nics, wifi, and all that on pci-e.

But the point is, when you bring in a new technology that NO one has before, why not make it a "new" technology. The thing is people already dunked $300 into their soundcards and $150 into thier tuners, so why should they have to upgrade those simply becuase AGEIA doesn't want to make pcie right off the bat? You make the new guy jump, not the old guys.

I know you can but pci-e tv tuners(had to go usb 2 since i have one usable pci slot) when i looked in march were not plentiful and there weren't any sub 200 sound cards for pci-e. I'm just saying slowly they should stop producing pci stuff.

SO if they only made new tech in pci-e (like you said) you wouldn't be forced to choose between what card to put in and the pci-e x1 slots would be actually useful for the average gamer.

Then over the next year every item that was pci can be converted to pci-e and pci slots can get dropped off the mobo or left at one slot for compatibility on certain mobos.

Why there are PCIE soundcard because sound market is a steady one wich is shifting slowly to PCIE. It took a very long time.
Most new PCIE mobo's have one or a few PCI2.2 slot and the masses of old Mobo's have no PCIE so PCI make perfectly sence. Tthat with one type you take on the large part of the market. PCIE verion makes it complete. For PCI-E systems with to low PCI2.2+ slots

So with the PPU and GPU Physics add-on it is wise to choose your mobo wisely. Keeping in mind extra slots.

Back