Anyone hear of a new mac mini?

ampedxc27

[H]ard|Gawd
Any rumors out or anything like that about when the new mini is coming out and what is going to be in it?

its going to have to be before the end of the year considering they have said they are moving the whole line to intel by then.

I think it will probably be launched in April on Apple's 30th birthday along with a new iBook (Macbook).

If Apple has a brain, they'll get rid of everything with a G4 in it as quickly as possible.

I expect both to use the Core Solo chip.

It's almost certainly waiting on a Celeron-like version of the Core Solo. Apple needs a low-heat chip in there no matter what, and it needs a cheap one to make the $499 price point stick.

Beyond that... well, they'd almost certainly want a CoreImage-capable video chip with more memory, so I'd guess a 64 MB Radeon X1300 or GeForce 7300 would be used - anything semi-recent that will run without a fan.

I think hard drive capacities will go up, but only slightly: maybe 60/100 GB (for the low-end and high-end respectively), or even 60/80. However, that's assuming Apple doesn't change the size of the Mac mini! They might decide that they're willing to make the mini larger to fit in a 3.5" hard drive, which would both be faster and carry more data for the same money... but that would kill some of the homebrew projects like carputers.

Since there's now a USB modem, Apple will probably axe the internal modem to make room for another USB port (or just for more space!).

The one thing I know for sure is that the mini is the trickiest single design in Apple's lineup to move to Intel: the components have to be cheap, cool-running, and small.

Aurelius said:
It's almost certainly waiting on a Celeron-like version of the Core Solo. Apple needs a low-heat chip in there no matter what, and it needs a cheap one to make the $499 price point stick.

Beyond that... well, they'd almost certainly want a CoreImage-capable video chip with more memory, so I'd guess a 64 MB Radeon X1300 or GeForce 7300 would be used - anything semi-recent that will run without a fan.

I think hard drive capacities will go up, but only slightly: maybe 60/100 GB (for the low-end and high-end respectively), or even 60/80. However, that's assuming Apple doesn't change the size of the Mac mini! They might decide that they're willing to make the mini larger to fit in a 3.5" hard drive, which would both be faster and carry more data for the same money... but that would kill some of the homebrew projects like carputers.

Since there's now a USB modem, Apple will probably axe the internal modem to make room for another USB port (or just for more space!).

The one thing I know for sure is that the mini is the trickiest single design in Apple's lineup to move to Intel: the components have to be cheap, cool-running, and small.

I expect them to use the basic Core Solo chip, though it may drive the price up a bit.

A 3.5" drive would be a welcome addition. Not only would it be cheaper and larger, it would also allow people to easily upgrade in the future on the cheap.

Anyway, I think Apple will think that getting the G4 out of there is more important than waiting for Intel to release a cheaper chip. The Core Solo will be cool enough, though I'm sure it will cost more than the G4.

whichcould probably be easily upgraded to a yonah. unless the proc is welded in..

mknawabi said:
whichcould probably be easily upgraded to a yonah. unless the proc is welded in..

Welded in? I'm pretty sure the temperature involved would render the chip useless ;)

I wouldn't really expect the new mac mini to increase the specs much. Steve will just point to the new chip being "xx times faster than a G4" and call it done :D

People don't buy the mini when they need a performance powerhouse, so as long as it's not a G4, nobody will complain (well, many people will complain, but not with a good reason).

I really hope they release a Core Duo mini as well. Apple needs to have a low cost computer with no monitor attached and some decent specs (iMac sans the screen pretty much).

NulloModo said:
I really hope they release a Core Duo mini as well. Apple needs to have a low cost computer with no monitor attached and some decent specs (iMac sans the screen pretty much).

I really hope they release a Mac Mini Pro with a Core Duo, a 7200 RPM 3.5" drive, and the ability to easily connect to a TV.

I'd buy one as an HTPC.

Apple plans to release LCD tv's with new CoreDuo guts built into them, basically the next gen Mac Mini, built right into the TV itself. How's THAT for a HTPC.

AppaYipYip said:
Apple plans to release LCD tv's with new CoreDuo guts built into them, basically the next gen Mac Mini, built right into the TV itself. How's THAT for a HTPC.

Too much integration for my liking. I'd prefer to keep my HDTV and HTPC separate so I can upgrade each of them individually.

AppaYipYip said:
How about UNVERSATILE?

AppaYipYip said:

That sounds more like an imac with an integrated tv tuner than a mac mini.

AppaYipYip said:

That rumor began on a parody site... so tired of hearing it.

AppaYipYip said:
Then stop reading! After all this IS a rumor thread. :p

Yeah, but let's keep it within reason... unless you want to include Steve Jobs' Super Secret Apple Rumors.

i own a mac mini now so im waiting for the new ones. i think they will just do what thinksecret said before which is some sorta of intel chip with a built in ipod dock and some htpc features....and frontrow built in...its the most legitimate rumor

^ please god...answer his prayer

i dont care if front row is built in or not...cus im running it now anyway... and my MX700 makes a fine remote....

all i want is more room for memory, a faster processor (Although a 1.5ghz g4 is just fine for me, and TV out BUILT IN. i DONT wanna spend the $20+ to get apples DVI to video adapter (i would just get a VGA to video but i dont like having that extra bulk back their....blech...

Rocketpig said:
The Minis only have one RAM slot?

Ugh!

Eh, just pull the original RAM and sell it on the H forums. Then again, I have a baggie full of 16mb RAM chips for LCII upgrades that is still sitting around... computers got junked before I got a chance to stick them in.

NulloModo said:
Eh, just pull the original RAM and sell it on the H forums.

The problem is that 1gb still is barely enough for OSX, and there are no non-registered, non-ECC 2gb sticks on the market.

not to mention it only supports up to 1 gig, so a 2 gig stick would be pointless...

Centauri said:

You owe me a new monitor.. Mine is covered in water now... :(

I agree on the dual slot (DEAR GOD WHY ISN'T IT THERE ALREADY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!), don't really care too much whether it's Solo or Duo and wouldn't mind TV out. I don't know about the rest of you but I really couldn't care less about a built in iPod dock, JUST GIVE ME ANOTHER RAM SLOT!!!!

My modem for another RAM slot. Hell my NIC for another RAM slot. :D

Back