Anyone Heard of The XG Duro 900?

madmat

2[H]4U
I'm getting one soon and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with XG PSUs in general or this one in particular. Link

I have never heard of the brand. But I would not trust it with a high spec system. Also, take a look at the spelling!

XG Duro ATX 2.2 4 x 12V Independent High Effeniciency
Features

* ATX 2.2 - 4 independent 12V rail
* Support Dual Cpu and Core
* Support ATX/BTX
* Active PFC
* High Effenicency
* 80mm Silent fan
* Stable and reliable.
* 4 X SATA
* Dual PCI Express
* Maximum Shielding

Detailed specifications
P4 Plug: Yes
Intel ATX 2.2
Fan Included: 1 x 80mm
Chassis Material: 1.0MM SECC Steel
Unit Dimensions: 200mm x 86mm x 190mm
Input Frequency Range: 50HZ-60HZ
Input Voltage: 110V~230V
Output: 850W, 900W peak

Supported for:
Intel Pentium 4
AMD Ahtlon 64/ Ahtlong 64FX

Misc. Features-
Supports Duel PCI-E grpahics cards, SLI or crossfire
Toughest EMI shielding protects your system and near-by appliances
Unique 4-pin Molex + SATA connectors in pairs give you a free choice on using either PATA or SATA devices
Full compliance with the highest standard to desktop power requirements; Split 12V rails provide most stable current to CPU, GPY, MB and drives
Specially designed 8cm fan combines silence and cooling by intelligent speed control
Quiet and Reliable
Convertible design to power up ATX/BTX systems and support dual CPU entry-level server/workstation
PF value up to 0.99 to provide stable and clean power under 100-24OVAC by auto switching
Protected by OCP, OVP, UVP, OLP, SCP, OTP for maximum safety. Full rated power under 0-40 o C/32-104 o F ambient temp
Nylon mesh binds the cables into a clean efficient cable management system while allowing maximum air flow throughout the chassis
Full support of Duel Core systems (incl. Pentium D EE and Ahtlon 64 x2) & Duel CPU systems
High efficiency of about 80% under wide load range (30%-100%) which minimizes your electricity bill

memphis_1220 said:
I have never heard of the brand. But I would not trust it with a high spec system. Also, take a look at the spelling!

That's a pretty solid reason right there. :rolleyes:

At least they TRY to speak two languages (Chinese and English,) unlike most Ameican companies that can't even speak one very well.

Matt,

Typically MGE makes the differentiation between the MGE and XG brands because of build quality. From what I've seen, straight up MGE's are Youngyear while XG's are typically Wintech or Seventeam.

I'm going to say that is probably a Seventeam unit since Wintech doesn't have any frames that can put out more than 600W. That said, I didn't know Seventeam was up to 800W. I thought they were only up to 700W. Of course, give a PSU company a year and they can figure out another 100W, right?

I would say it could be an Andyson because of the blood-line back to Wintech and the fact that they have an 800W PSU (AD-800) but because of the design of the fan in the back and the lack of venturi grill holes in the back, I'm going to say no.

It be better if they posted their specs, but for whatever reason they did not.

Either way, it's going to be a good unit. When you get it, open it up and look at the PCB. If you see "ST-800", for example, it's a Seventeam. If you see "AD-800", it's an Andyson.

That's right.

I think that's the corner the cables come out, so they're probably just zip tying the harness to the housing so the wires don't scrape against the metal housing. Those plastic rings only do so much.

You know who has a killer solution to that? Enermax. That donut thing they use is the shit.

jonnyGURU said:
I'm going to say that is probably a Seventeam unit since Wintech doesn't have any frames that can put out more than 600W. That said, I didn't know Seventeam was up to 800W. I thought they were only up to 700W. Of course, give a PSU company a year and they can figure out another 100W, right?

They have two 750W quad 12v units, so I'm with you on this one. It's probably one of them.

http://www.seventeam.com.tw/front/detail.asp?lang=eng&ID=112
http://www.seventeam.com.tw/front/detail.asp?lang=eng&ID=130

Definitely. It even LOOKS like it. They didn't even bother changing the housing, power switch, etc. ;)

Maybe we should just call XG "Seventeam USA" or something. :p

Thanks guys, I'll definitely rip it open, see what's on the PCB and let you know when I get it in.

It's a Seventeam built unit. MGE calls it a 900W supply (at 50C no less) yet Seventeam goes at 750W. The XG only has one fan as well. I've got to hand it to them though, it's got good airflow and it's actually quieter than the 850W PC P&C PSU I put in a customer's rig back in December.

I've found that Taiwanese manufacturers are a lot more conservative with their numbers than the US importers. So it may be a 750W, but at 50C with 115V input. Which can certainly be 850W sustained/900W peak at 20C with 230V input.

Mind you, they're not even CLOSE to as bad as Aspire with this. Aspire's happy even if the rails go as much as 10% out of spec! Unfortunately, what they do is common and not unlike what almost everyone else does. The Tagan 900W, for example... That's 900W at 20C and 110V input. ;) IMHO, 750W is plenty of power. But in a marketing driven world where people don't know/understand environmental variables, it's the higher wattage that wins.

Yeah, I know that they can be conservative but MGE is claiming 900W continuous @ 50C. It says it on the packaging and at one point in the manual as well.

On a side note it has active PFC and is a dual board PSU unlike the PC P&C which is set up like a conventional PSU with a single PCB.

As far as I can tell one PCB has the PFC circuitry and some of the rails and the other carries all the 12V rails although it's impossible to tell for certain without splitting the PCBs apart. I'd do that but they've glued the plugs into the sockets where the wiring for one PCB crosses to the other. At least it's not two smaller PSUs stuffed into one chassis, it's pretty obvious that these PCBs were designed to be run in one PSU.

Back