Anyone here a 'professional' / very skilled web designer?

Quintox

Limp Gawd
I'm in need of a 'professional' or very talented web designer to work on a project with, and rather than have my partner find someone at his company, we'd like to see if any forumer can do the job, rather than finding some random guy in India on Freelance.

I know this is said often, but me and my partner (on AT) have chalked up the plan and all we need to do to start is to get a design going, then he can begin coding. The idea is going to change the way we all do tech trading, if that makes you any more motivated? :p

Send examples to me via PM if you think you are up to it and if I like it, I will provide you with more info!

LOL. I learned HTML in the 5th grade with note pad. Why oh why do people think they need a professional Web Designer? Hell these days you don't even have to write any code! If you can edit a photo in photoshop, you can make a web site. Give it a try yourself. Really, you'll be much happier that you did it, rather than paying someone else to do it. If you just don't have the time, then pay some bored high school student to do it for you. But, by all means you don't need a professional. If there even is such a thing.:p I know I'll get some flack from someone. Think about it this way. The garbage men here like to be called refuse collection agents. By the way, they certainly make more money than me, and I own my own business.

It's very simple. Check it out.
http://www.w3schools.com/Html/default.asp

You don't need a design to begin coding. Just start writing the code, throw it all in <div> tags with a header and footer file, and adapt it to the design later.

You don't need a design to begin coding. Just start writing the code, throw it all in <div> tags with a header and footer file, and adapt it to the design later.

It's funny you say that because I always just made a list of all the things that need to go in. Then I thrown them up and make it look better later. It's better for me, to make sure it works first, then I make it look like something.

Awesome advice.

Sorry folks, but there's a lot more to being a professional web designer than just being able to slap together a lame template in PS.
Professionals pay attention to the details, no matter how small they might be. They will ask who your intended audience is, what the purpose of your site is, and then design according to those requirements. They pay close attention to the proper use of graphics, color, fonts, spacing. They make sure your site is both accessible and usable to as wide an audience as possible. They make sure your site confirms to web standards and that it is cross-browser compatible.

It's the difference between a three-piece suit you picked up at Kmart vs. a custom tailored Armani. Sure they're both suits, but it's the subtle details, the fit and finish, that make the Armani stand out

Sorry folks, but there's a lot more to being a professional web designer than just being able to slap together a lame template in PS.
Professionals pay attention to the details, no matter how small they might be. They will ask who your intended audience is, what the purpose of your site is, and then design according to those requirements. They pay close attention to the proper use of graphics, color, fonts, spacing. They make sure your site is both accessible and usable to as wide an audience as possible. They make sure your site confirms to web standards and that it is cross-browser compatible.

It's the difference between a three-piece suit you picked up at Kmart vs. a custom tailored Armani. Sure they're both suits, but it's the subtle details, the fit and finish, that make the Armani stand out
That about sums it up.

I've worked in the advertising industry for 10 years before moving onto private software development and consulting. There's a difference between a mickey mouse solution, and a web presence built on marketing strategies and robust code.

Look at everything Apple does, do you think they just "threw it together and made it look better later?" Ignore these teenagers and clowns that have zero experience in the real world. Talk to real professionals.

Good luck.

Look at everything Apple does, do you think they just "threw it together and made it look better later?" Ignore these teenagers and clowns that have zero experience in the real world. Talk to real professionals.

Good luck.

You mean to say that Apple actually paid a team of professionals millions of dollars to create their web presence, when according to BallerX all they had to do was hire a couple of high-school kids armed with Notepad and some 133t photoshop skillz? Wow, the upper management folks at Apple must be kicking themselves right now ...;)

I know I'll get some flack from someone.

I may not be the best web designer, but I can predict the future.

You guys must be hungry. How about you stop cluttering up the fucking interweb with your shitty designs and horrible layouts. Why do you need 400 adds and all kinds of flashing blinking shit? It would also be a plus if the crap worked most of the time. Hell, you can write a program that writes web pages. Get over you selves. Let me guess, you have an interior designer. Just can't make a descision on the drapes. LOL.. It's elementary shit fellas. But I guess someone has to take out the trash. Remember, your the ones who used leet speek.

What in the world are you talking about BallerX? Must be hungry? for what? Interior design and drapes?!?

You pretty much defeated yourself by saying that you aren't the best web designer. It's NOT elementary for that reason! If it was, everyone (including yourself) would be the best web designer!

I may not be the best web designer, but I can predict the future.

You guys must be hungry. How about you stop cluttering up the fucking interweb with your shitty designs and horrible layouts. Why do you need 400 adds and all kinds of flashing blinking shit? It would also be a plus if the crap worked most of the time. Hell, you can write a program that writes web pages. Get over you selves. Let me guess, you have an interior designer. Just can't make a descision on the drapes. LOL.. It's elementary shit fellas. But I guess someone has to take out the trash. Remember, your the ones who used leet speek.

You know they say that most novices don't know the things they don't know, because they aren't aware of them ;)? Your analogy is flawed, as an interior designer typically is aware of factors such as line of sight, room flow, colors and how they interact to the eye, etc., while a "Designer Joe For My Bedroom" isn't. Same thing applies to web design ;)... layout, form, function, eyeflow along the page, accessibility, code functionality and maintainability, compatibility, etc. aren't things any monkey with notepad and a pirated photoshop copy can do like you are saying.

What in the world are you talking about BallerX? Must be hungry? for what? Interior design and drapes?!?

You pretty much defeated yourself by saying that you aren't the best web designer. It's NOT elementary for that reason! If it was, everyone (including yourself) would be the best web designer!

The simple fact that you can't read simple english would scare me away from you all together.
Do..you..know..everything..about...everything?
Do..you...know..everything..about..web..design?
Can..you..pick..your..own..window..coverings..or..do..you..need..a..professional..for..that..too?

That should help some. :p

You know they say that most novices don't know the things they don't know, because they aren't aware of them ;)? Your analogy is flawed, as an interior designer typically is aware of factors such as line of sight, room flow, colors and how they interact to the eye, etc., while a "Designer Joe For My Bedroom" isn't. Same thing applies to web design ;)... layout, form, function, eyeflow along the page, accessibility, code functionality and maintainability, compatibility, etc. aren't things any monkey with notepad and a pirated photoshop copy can do like you are saying.

LOL, my point exactly! Interior designers/web designers are the same as garbage men. We all know where the trash goes and how to get it there. We just don't give a shit.

Check out the bluejeans cable web site. Every thing you need, nothing you don't. I suppose you think he needs a professional too.

The simple fact that you can't read simple english would scare me away from you all together.
Do..you..know..everything..about...everything?
Do..you...know..everything..about..web..design?
Can..you..pick..your..own..window..coverings..or..do..you..need..a..professional..for..that..too?

That should help some. :p

yeah, I get the window coverings. That still doesn't explain wtf you're talking about with being hungry. Nor referencing people with 400 ads. Who are you talking about? And again, wtf are you talking about? know everything about everything? about web design? I didn't proclaim any of that, so why are you asking me?

Also, that blue jeans cable website is a horrible example of your argument. But let me guess, you pieced that together for your buddies father or some crap like that, huh? So of course you feel it's a great example.

you guys all suck, and before you even start writing, you need to do some reading:

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/design_priorities.html
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/genius-designers.html
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000356.html

In fact, might as well read most of the articles on those two sites, and also read this article:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000623.html

Don't just start throwing shit together. Plan your design out first. The further along in development, the more difficult and therefore more expensive it becomes to fix every "whoops" or "wait a second" and other design decision that should have been made back at the beginning.

Check out the bluejeans cable web site. Every thing you need, nothing you don't. I suppose you think he needs a professional too.

THAT is what you consider good design? THAT? Please, get yourself a juice box and go sit at the kid's table. Thanks for trying.

I guess properly closed tags and consistent menu placement are also things you don't need, right?

And who needs the opening and closing "html" tags anyways.... :rolleyes:

It's simple, you make the same mistake everyone else does: subjective reasoning.

There's a reason my employees and contractors go to college for 3 years to get a graphic design diploma/degree... and that's just for design, forget the skills needed to build marketing and advertising strategies that tie directly to all promotional material; including web sites, print collateral, corporate identity, etc.

I understand your approach for a small business, small business owners have trouble understanding the tangible results a proper corporate identity brings to their company.

I keep using Apple as an example, how else can you sell an inferior product for twice the price of the competition? Pretty goes a long way...

Alright well so far all my thread has gotten is flames on un-knowledgeable posters.

If anyone thinks they might be up for this, PM me please, and include some examples/portfolio, and I will then give you some details.

Sorry that your thread got hijacked....

I've seen a few threads here on the topic in your first post. Do a search through the [H] forums for "rentacoder". Take a look at the threads that show up, and you may find some additional key words to search for to get more results.

HTH!

Back