Anyone here already using there 7900GTO card?

Nicepants42 said:
However, back when the X1800XL 512s were the next great deal, it was found that by flashing to an X1800XT BIOS and loosening the RAM timings, the RAM clockspeed could be pushed up significantly. Personally, my 500mhz memory wouldn't break 620mhz on the XL BIOS, but is now doing ~810mhz on the XT BIOS. I think you guys need to have a larger sampling of people try the flash and then try to OC the RAM before you decide that flashing is a bad idea.

Looks like you may not have modded many NVIDIA cards. The X1800XL was a completely different scenario. That's ATI, this is NVIDIA. Voltages for core and memory are controlled by the BIOS on ATI X1xxxx cards ( for example, overclock.exe). Not so on NVIDIA. However, if you perform a physical volt mod to get the memory back to 2.1V, then, true, it would provide the same benefit. So, unless there are some GTO cards out there with 2.1V on the memory (NVIDIA would not allow this, however), the GTX flash would not help.

Just took some pics after FedEx dropped off my EVGA 7900GTO at work today! Sorry, I am not a photographer and these pics don't do this little beast any justice. I will probably take off her dress tonight to see what kind of cheap thermal material is between the memory and the GPU. From a quick inspection so far, it looks like EVGA used the typical DOW fiberglass-reinforced interface pads though. Also, notice the 7900GTX box just patched up with a 7900GTO sticker. Nice.

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

I broke...i ordered the Opty 165 from newegg as well as this from ZZF and a DFI nf4...

Phelptwan said:
I broke...i ordered the Opty 165 from newegg as well as this from ZZF and a DFI nf4...

Didn't feel like buying new RAM, or you just allergic to Intel?

So that's why these "new" cards are acting like GTXs, cause that's what they are. LOL.

I didn't buy ram as I already have 2gig in the machine being upgrade...plus i'm not made out of money...that cash was going to buy me a p99.

If the thermal interaface material is anything like the GTX, it's that weird putty with little "hairs" in it...

Ups JUST DROPPED MINE OFF (9:36am) and the boxes clearly says 7900GTX all over it, except for where EVGA slapped on a GTO sticker over the front. Computer is going under the knive now, so here I go...........

newls1 said:
Ups JUST DROPPED MINE OFF (9:36am) and the boxes clearly says 7900GTX all over it, except for where EVGA slapped on a GTO sticker over the front. Computer is going under the knive now, so here I go...........

Yeah baby! It's like Christmas (or Hanukkah) in October!

I swear that this site is becoming my sort of computer hardware support group.

"So, brachy33, how long have you had this problem for?" -- "Well, I believe it all started when one day I purchased a shiny new Radeon 9800 Pro and had a fresh install of Far Cry...That's, Oh God...That's all I remember." --"It's Ok brachy33, let it all out...."

Although, I'm sure many of you can go WAYYYYY further back than that.

HeavyH20 said:
Looks like you may not have modded many NVIDIA cards. The X1800XL was a completely different scenario. That's ATI, this is NVIDIA. Voltages for core and memory are controlled by the BIOS on ATI X1xxxx cards ( for example, overclock.exe). Not so on NVIDIA. However, if you perform a physical volt mod to get the memory back to 2.1V, then, true, it would provide the same benefit. So, unless there are some GTO cards out there with 2.1V on the memory (NVIDIA would not allow this, however), the GTX flash would not help.

I have not modded nVidia cards, but I was not speaking about the mem voltage - I was speaking about the mem TIMINGS. Memory timings vs. memory frequency is always the same issue. From what was posted earlier, the memory timings on the GTX BIOS are looser than the timings on the GTO BIOS. Looser timings often allow clockspeed increases. Before you advise against flashing to looser timings, you should to see if those looser timings allow higher frequency.

All I was trying to point out was that it's best to have a large sample of people try something before damning it after 1 or 2 people say it doesn't help, or because you don't like the look of the timings - especially if there's a reasonable expectation that some performance gain might be seen. Some people on this forum have said that the GTX BIOS helps.

Check out post # 19 here for a BIOS that appears to kick ass. It also appears to be a modded GTO BIOS.

HeavyH20 said:
There is one rather large difference between the GTO and the GTX. Looks like they have tightened the memory timings versus the GTX.

timing-----------GTX-------GTO-------BJ11 ------ BC14
tRAS------------24-----------22----------25-----------22
tRC--------------34-----------31----------35-----------31
tRFC------------43-----------39----------45-----------39
tRCDR----------12-----------10----------12-----------10
tRCDW----------8-------------6------------8-------------6
tRP--------------10------------9-----------10-------------9
tRRD-------------8------------10-----------8-------------8

So, looks like 1.1 ns GDDR3 may be on there, but, since it only has the 1.4 ns spec voltage(1.7 min, 1.8 spec, 1.9 max) versus the 1.1 ns voltage(1.9 min, 2.0 spec, 2.1 max), the timings have been adjusted accordingly to 1.4 ns just like the GT cards.

Bottom line, DO NOT flash the GTX BIOS to these cards. The timing changes will hurt your performance. I simply changed the stock BIOS to lower the 2D memory to 600 and the 3D to 750. I also modified the memory timings a tad. Easily makes 11K in 05 with a 2.5 GHz AMD X2 (system #2 in sig).

Nice post!

Now in regards to the last post... which advice to take?!?!?!

Phelptwan said:
I didn't buy ram as I already have 2gig in the machine being upgrade...plus i'm not made out of money...that cash was going to buy me a p99.

That's cool man I didn't mean you should blow a lot of money, I'm just curious about people's opinions on the whole DDR1/2 thing. I myself am probably gonna stick it out with my current system until DDR3 rolls around, especially considering the price of RAM right now!

MC FLMJIG said:
Nice post!

Now in regards to the last post... which advice to take?!?!?!

Well, it looks like Johnny's BIOS is a modded GTO, meaning you wouldn't be flashing to a GTX, if that'll ease your mind.

If you've never heard of coolaler, I don't know what else to say.

EDIT: Maybe HeavyH20 can post the memory timings in this BIOS.

Looser timings will yield higher clocks, but, it can also degrade performance and increase latency. No news there, however. Loosening the timings with a BIOS editor on the GTO will get you much better performance gains than simply using a GTX BIOS. There are some other memory settings that are adjustable with the available BIOS editors that negatively affect performance. It is best to match your core bandwidth requirement to the memory. So, if your core does 700, memory should be around 860 to match. 720, about 890. To reach the potential of the card, however, voltage will be required.

Personally, looser timings are preferred, but not too loose. I would not go to the full 1.1/1.2 timing spec without the extra voltage. Instead, simply edit the existing timings and loosen a couple of notches. So, simply edit the GTO BIOS with the GTX timings to start (as with Coolalers BIOS), then pull the timings in until you have the peak gain.

For example, changing tRRD on the memory timing from 10 to 8 on my test card increased 3DMark05 score by 250 points at the same memory clock speed.

I also have a suspicion that the GTO cards with remarked GTX boxes may be the true jewels. They may be the real McCoys.

Don't the GTXs and 7900 series have the infineon chips while these GTO's are on the samsung ones that the infineon replaced?

So maybe they're just clearing out the memory chips by underclocking/undervolting them and slapping em on a GTX board/core.

my GTO came Pre-Fubard.... RMAing it now. Good thing Newegg offers replacement at $0 cost.
EVGA RMA is a rip-off.

n19htmare said:
Don't the GTXs and 7900 series have the infineon chips while these GTO's are on the samsung ones that the infineon replaced?
So maybe they're just clearing out the memory chips by underclocking/undervolting them and slapping em on a GTX board/core.
my GTO came Pre-Fubard.... RMAing it now. Good thing Newegg offers replacement at $0 cost.
EVGA RMA is a rip-off.

What was wrong with it?

HeavyH20 said:
Looser timings will yield higher clocks, but, it can also degrade performance and increase latency. No news there, however. Loosening the timings with a BIOS editor on the GTO will get you much better performance gains than simply using a GTX BIOS. There are some other memory settings that are adjustable with the available BIOS editors that negatively affect performance. It is best to match your core bandwidth requirement to the memory. So, if your core does 700, memory should be around 860 to match. 720, about 890. To reach the potential of the card, however, voltage will be required.

Personally, looser timings are preferred, but not too loose. I would not go to the full 1.1/1.2 timing spec without the extra voltage. Instead, simply edit the existing timings and loosen a couple of notches. So, simply edit the GTO BIOS with the GTX timings to start (as with Coolalers BIOS), then pull the timings in until you have the peak gain.

For example, changing tRRD on the memory timing from 10 to 8 on my test card increased 3DMark05 score by 250 points at the same memory clock speed.

I also have a suspicion that the GTO cards with remarked GTX boxes may be the true jewels. They may be the real McCoys.

That might explain why my GTO @ 650/1600 has been rock-solid after strenous testing over the past 2 days. I had one of those remarked boxes :)

HeavyH20 said:

As is expected loose usually = >

Seems like a lot of work. Even at stock I don't think I could max this card out.

Stock cooler seems good and should be better once I put some Ceramique but will stock cooler be enough on a OC to GTX levels for long term?

Thanks btw guys

and yes I know coolaler - my lover, lol

brachy33 said:
What was wrong with it?

System would not even power on when i plugged it in. why I plugged in my 7800GT, it worked.
So i thought could be my Power Supply. Went to my friends house and got his 7900GTX and it worked just fine and dandy, Took my GTo to his house and again same thing. System just doesn't power on when this card is plugged in.

Has to be a dead card.

been running mine since weds. love it
3dmark05 managed 11085@685core and 785 (1570)mem .. quite a jump form my old x800xt :)

MC FLMJIG said:
The entire system doesnt turn on?

yup the whole thing doesnt turn on.. the lights turn on for a SPLIT second and then nothing.
Was informed mostly like the card is shorting out somewhere. just my luck :(

fyi

MSI boards will clock higher mem cuz of better (1.1ns) memory on the boards (as compaired to EVGAs i believe 1.4ns)

All the EVGA boards are 1.1 ns GDDR3, just like MSI. And, like the MSI board, the GDDR3 voltage is reduced from the 1.1 ns spec to the 1.4 ns spec along with the timings.

n19htmare said:
System would not even power on when i plugged it in. why I plugged in my 7800GT, it worked.
So i thought could be my Power Supply. Went to my friends house and got his 7900GTX and it worked just fine and dandy, Took my GTo to his house and again same thing. System just doesn't power on when this card is plugged in.

Has to be a dead card.

I have seen that before. Reset your BIOS (jumpoer or button on the board) and you should be clear. When I switch between a 7950GX2, 7900GTO, or a 7600GT, I have a system that needs the reset.

HeavyH20 said:
I have seen that before. Reset your BIOS (jumpoer or button on the board) and you should be clear. When I switch between a 7950GX2, 7900GTO, or a 7600GT, I have a system that needs the reset.
Yikes! Never seen THAT "little" bug before... Definitely have to add it to the mental checklist...

Stopi said:
Hi all.
This is my 1st post in the forums so here goes.
Yesterday i purchased the MSI 7900Gto (i live in the UK)
1st i removed the stock cooler and removed all the thermal pads and reset it with a/s ceramique.
Straight off the cuff it went upto GTX mem speeds :)
Below is a couple of links to show temps/speeds.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f231/stopi/7900GTOTemps700Core800Mem.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f231/stopi/7900GTO700Core800Mem.jpg

Thx all
Bye!!!
Welcome!

700 core! Sweet--gotta love these cards.

Who cares about the GTX when you can have tighter memory timings at the same speed? Running my 7900GTO 702/800 :)

I might need some help with my config.
I scored a 8207 with mh eVGA 7900GTO that I slapped in my current system.
Asus A8N Sli Premium
Amd 3500+ stock 2.2ghz
2 gigs corsair XMS pc 3200

Video card was was at stock speeds at the time of the test.

I realize the processor isn't the fastest in the world, but I was still expecting around 9500 or so in 3dmark 05. Is 8207 good for this setup?

Recommendations to increase performance are welcome.

fhlh said:
been running mine since weds. love it
3dmark05 managed 11085@685core and 785 (1570)mem .. quite a jump form my old x800xt :)

I get something like 10200 in 3DMark05 with 650/800mem, should i do 660/800? will not go higher then this, this would be a GTX and nice enough. Didn't tested it to much jet also. But from 650 to 660 if it is better to suport the ram i will go 660, what do u say?

Whats the wright way to update my bios:

I have there 3 points for the memory in default:

3D _ 650 _ 660
THRTL _ 650 _ 660
2D _275 _ 660

- 3D i do 800MHz
- THRTL must i do 800 or is this for where the card goes if overheated? (i won't have to big jumps in the clocks, thats because i will edit my bios and flash).
- 2D should i also set to 800 that it wont jump to much between clocks write to not damage the card? even when i am much in 2D.

PLS help (need fast), tnx in advance.

einer2060 said:
I get something like 10200 in 3DMark05 with 650/800mem, should i do 660/800? will not go higher then this, this would be a GTX and nice enough. Didn't tested it to much jet also. But from 650 to 660 if it is better to suport the ram i will go 660, what do u say?

Whats the wright way to update my bios:

I have there 3 points for the memory in default:

3D _ 650 _ 660
THRTL _ 650 _ 660
2D _275 _ 660

- 3D i do 800MHz
- THRTL must i do 800 or is this for where the card goes if overheated? (i won't have to big jumps in the clocks, thats because i will edit my bios and flash).
- 2D should i also set to 800 that it wont jump to much between clocks write to not damage the card? even when i am much in 2D.

PLS help (need fast), tnx in advance.

your cpu and ram is limiting more than your gfx at that level of scores

at 2.6GHZ w/ 176mhz ram amd64 venice (939 with ddr1) i got 10500~
2.79ghz w/ 233 ram amd64 venice (939 with ddr1) i got over 11000.

O i see, i will try to OC my 4000+ a little bit, to see if it will help.

To my GPU "MHz" question, i have a picture.
alle.jpg

Whats the wright way, all to 800MHz? The best for the grafic card to have all 3 values at 800MHz that the MHz won't jump when going from 2D to 3D?

Just RMA'ed my Evga 7900GTO on 10/26 :( Memory failure was the cause. I got MAJOR corruption on desktop, and couldnt play ANY game. Now its a waiting game to see what EVGA sends me in return. I see people are getting 7950GT's in return, and I dont think I will be happy to have that, as that to me would be a downgrade.

Back