Anyone know if John Carmack's keynote was recorded?

Ryan711

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone know if his quakecon keynote was recorded and is up anywhere?

it is tomorrow (thurs) at 2:30cst. I believe it will be streamed live but i am not sure.

the keynote will not be live according to the quakecon people. Will be posted later tonight. Right now the tourney is streaming.

Yeah apparently vods have been recorded and should be put up later today/tomorrow.

Yea, I'm just following the livestream (not video) on vg247.com. It's not a very good one though.

whenever it's posted, someone please post it here. I'm not sure where it's going to be put up at.

I like how he doesn't dress like a total douche. No turtleneck there!

Ya I'm watching it now. I love listening to him talk tech once a year on the Quakecon stage. I know it's dry for alot of people but I enjoy it. I'm not in the industry and I'm by NO means a programmer/coder by any stretch but I still love to hear his tech insight. For example he just explained the core differences and challenges between making a game run well on a console vs. a PC. With all the overhead and how textures wrote to memory so simply on the console and not so simple on the pc etc. I mean we all know the PC's brute force their way through but still nice to hear it explained so well.

Ya I'm watching it now. I love listening to him talk tech once a year on the Quakecon stage. I know it's dry for alot of people but I enjoy it. I'm not in the industry and I'm by NO means a programmer/coder by any stretch but I still love to hear his tech insight. For example he just explained the core differences and challenges between making a game run well on a console vs. a PC. With all the overhead and how textures wrote to memory so simply on the console and not so simple on the pc etc. I mean we all know the PC's brute force their way through but still nice to hear it explained so well.

Oh yeah, that's good stuff. It's nice to see a company head actually know what the hell they are talking about!

This man has done so much for pc gamers -- always worth listening to. (his passion is infectious) Thanks for the youtube link

I just cringed when he said ....ya well don't get me wrong we're not exactly using the PC for Rage as anything more than a muscular console. Ughhhhhhh. He's like the PC has 10x the power of the conoles but anyway....blah blah...we didn't use any Dx11 tesselation or anything fancy like that. I'm just thinking to myself why oh why...ID. I'm still gonna pre order rage as I'm sure it's a good game and will have the usual ID polish and I am an ID fanboy and all but man....That hurt's to hear. :mad:

I'm still gonna pre order rage as I'm sure it's a good game and will have the usual ID polish and I am an ID fanboy and all but man....That hurt's to hear. :mad:

:/ Yep. They have to build for the lowest common denominator though. I'm just going to hope that it's enjoyable on it's own, and not as a ZOMG highest tech available. $60 is a little steep though.

Ya $60.00 is a bit steep for something that can run at 60fps on a console. Our PC's are wasted on this game completely apparently.

Because it could be the deciding factor for someone who was already on the edge about buying the game. I'm all for voting with your wallet and being tough on developers but that doesn't mean you have to boycott every single game that may contain something you don't fully support. Also, in the case where it isn't enough to stop you from purchasing the game, I still think there's value in stating your disappointment publicly in a place like this as enough negative feedback over a specific issue probably won't get overlooked. If it does, the company better hope its games are praised highly enough in other areas, or sales will eventually go down.

I just finished listening to it... man, that was long!!

Was a little bit sad about how on the PC the textures won't be higher res, but hopeful they'll release the less compressed version later down the road... also appreciated his comments about post-processing... glad we can flip it off via the console :)

Sucks he thinks nobody will be able to do megatextures or mods... :(

For such an optimistic guy he sure did talk alot about shortcomings, or things he regretted or didn't have time to do. I guess that's the fun in the challenge though. Trying to do all the stuff with such restrictions.

Hope the game does good and Doom 4 rocks out within the next 4 years...

Then why should they work any harder?

Sadly shit doesn't always work that way. I mean sure I could vote with my wallet but if I did that I would hardly play any games. In the end I like ID games and I will probably like this game even though it's by no means a graphical powerhouse. So as a gamer I will buy it. As a hardware enthusiast/gamer I'm annoyed sure but I have better things to do rather than boycott games. If the games good then it's good and the toned down graphics won't bother me as much.

Edit: I have to admire JC though. At least he's honest about what decisions they've made and why they did so ya anyway.

Last edited:
Ya $60.00 is a bit steep for something that can run at 60fps on a console. Our PC's are wasted on this game completely apparently.

so this is what it comes down to... it no longer matters if a game is actually a good game, but rather enjoyability is solely measured on how low the framerate can possibly go.

Oh i am buying this day one. Its looks fun and to be honest it looks pretty damn good, even if its a designed for the console first game (which i don't really care about, if a game is good ill play it). As for the talk i liked it alot. Its sad to see that even though our pc's are very fast we lose alot of performance due to the inefficiencies of how we interact with hardware these days.

I liked that part of this speech though. I'm glad to know that there is even more performance our machines are capable of, and that it's likely the current inefficiencies will be addressed sometime soon.

so this is what it comes down to... it no longer matters if a game is actually a good game, but rather enjoyability is solely measured on how low the framerate can possibly go.

Read what I said in the post above yours dude.

I just cringed when he said ....ya well don't get me wrong we're not exactly using the PC for Rage as anything more than a muscular console. Ughhhhhhh. He's like the PC has 10x the power of the conoles but anyway....blah blah...we didn't use any Dx11 tesselation or anything fancy like that. I'm just thinking to myself why oh why...ID. I'm still gonna pre order rage as I'm sure it's a good game and will have the usual ID polish and I am an ID fanboy and all but man....That hurt's to hear. :mad:

Apparently there are plans to release a high res texture pack for the PC sometime after release,

Mr Carmack was up on stage at QuakeCon last night, and he was talking Rage and PC. Getting the PC version up to speed has, apparently, been one of the sticking points for Rage’s development, which has taken a few years now. Interestingly, release might not be the end of the that particular line of development, either, because Carmack has revealed that he’s already started a new project, and the “research engines” that this new project produces could be added to the PC version of Rage down the line. Quite what this means isn’t clear, but apparently he has a “firm” plan to release this update to PC, as well as a high-quality texture patch. It’s fascinating to see Carmack getting excited about the PC again

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/05/carmack-talks-rage-pc-bombastic-trailer/

:/ Yep. They have to build for the lowest common denominator though. I'm just going to hope that it's enjoyable on it's own, and not as a ZOMG highest tech available. $60 is a little steep though.

Well, we can only hope the bar for the lowest common demoniator will be raised soon from wii levels to xbox 360/ps3 only when the wii next comes out and sooner or later, raised again when the xbox 720/ps4 comes out in ...a year or two?

The new wii piece of shit is only going to bring it to the same level hardware wise as the current gen 360/ps3. So I wouldn't count on the wii to do anything for the industry. The next gen playstation and xbox yes. However, I don't see those coming out until at least 2013. Ie: no time soon.

During his keynote, around the 39:30 mark, I love how he mentions a new project like it's some sort of dirty little secret.

I love it when John Carmack talks dirty.

But seriously, his comments regarding this exponential curve in amount of time it takes for game development are great. We are fast approaching this point in time where games will take 10+ years to develop. And that's just not good for the industry as a whole.

During his keynote, around the 39:30 mark, I love how he mentions a new project like it's some sort of dirty little secret.

I love it when John Carmack talks dirty.

But seriously, his comments regarding this exponential curve in amount of time it takes for game development are great. We are fast approaching this point in time where games will take 10+ years to develop. And that's just not good for the industry as a whole.

The bigger games , no question will take more time. They also will take up to if not over $100 million on average. What is going to happen when that starts to take place is Indie developers will end up bearing more weight in turn. Indie developers are already more popular than ever and with the internet as a platform they can release content on a massive scale with ease.

I see the next 10 years being a true boom for Indie games.

i got to play rage @ qcon and the first thing i noticed were the bullshit textures. literally the first thing when you go out the first room is a mud of textures in the distance - glaringly bad. from what i understand they are not going to be easy by any means to replace so I am quite upset that pc's capabilities will apparently be wasted. I will be buying the game to support id but I think they need to realize that quality will outlast anything - both in graphics and gameplay

yes this game has some horribly blurry textures. I just have to laugh at all the people that kept saying the game would have stunning textures because of "mega textures". I sure hope he follows through on that hi res pack he is considering for pc users.

The new wii piece of shit is only going to bring it to the same level hardware wise as the current gen 360/ps3. .

pulled that straight out of your ass did you? Wii U will have a modified version of a RV770 aka 4870 and that litterally wipes the floor with the 360 and PS3........want to try again?

yes this game has some horribly blurry textures. I just have to laugh at all the people that kept saying the game would have stunning textures because of "mega textures". I sure hope he follows through on that hi res pack he is considering for pc users.

JC considers mega textures 512*512 lawl......anyone remember the S3 STC level for UT? Now THAT was some pretty impressive texture work back in the day.....

I think someone recorded his keynote in the bathroom stall at work, if you're interested.

Edit: I have to admire JC though. At least he's honest about what decisions they've made and why they did so ya anyway.

Listening to Carmack is a million times better than listening to a spokesperson who avoids trying to release any actual information.

JC considers mega textures 512*512 lawl......anyone remember the S3 STC level for UT? Now THAT was some pretty impressive texture work back in the day.....

It has a direct impact on the back end, such as a development and performance concerns. It doesn't directly impact the end user experience though, which depends on how you make use of it.

I think people had incorrect assumptions that mega texturing had some specific relation to the end user experience, such as the individual textures being a certain size.

The bigger games , no question will take more time. They also will take up to if not over $100 million on average. What is going to happen when that starts to take place is Indie developers will end up bearing more weight in turn. Indie developers are already more popular than ever and with the internet as a platform they can release content on a massive scale with ease.

I see the next 10 years being a true boom for Indie games.

also keep in mind several high profile engines like unreal are free or low cost for indie devs. I see the AAA games of today being teh Indie games next year.

Back