Anyone know of a Network Neighborhood Replacement...

Any reason why one machine is using router for DNS and the other is using ISP?? Or just for fun?? :p

^this is a good question, but probably not relevant, since you can ping...

Do you have a username and password set for the share?

^this is a good question, but probably not relevant, since you can ping...

Do you have a username and password set for the share?

As for the DNS thing, I saw something on one forum about it possibly being a DNS issue, forgot to change it back. As for a password, I don't think so. I think I had to log on to see the shares on the Win 7 RC machine, but not the Win 7 Pro 64 one....I'm on the Win 7 RC laptop at work at the moment, I won't be able to double check for about 12 hours.

I'm trying to follow along here, but is one or more of the systems a domain machine? You mention using one for work, so that's why I'm asking. If not, and you log in with one machine but not another when trying to connect, that tells me it is probably a permission/useraccount issue. I use the same username and password on all of my systems at home, including VM or various OSes, and as long as they are in the same workgroup, I have no issues connecting around.

Yeah I really can't tell from all these posts whether or not the PCs are all part of the same workgroup or domain.

As for the DNS thing, I saw something on one forum about it possibly being a DNS issue, forgot to change it back. As for a password, I don't think so. I think I had to log on to see the shares on the Win 7 RC machine, but not the Win 7 Pro 64 one....I'm on the Win 7 RC laptop at work at the moment, I won't be able to double check for about 12 hours.

I ask about that because there is a group policy setting that prevents accessing a share without username/password.

win+r
gpedit.msc
computer configuration
windows settings
security settings
local policies
security options
Network access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts and shares -> Ensure this is disabled on the host machine (the one with the shares)

Alternatively, set a username and password, then try again

Ok to go back over things, just to make it a bit clearer.

WRT160N router: it is 192.168.2.1
There's the Windows 7 64 box that is 192.168.2.5 (Phoenix), connecting Wirelessly.
There's a Windows 7 RC laptop that is 192.168.2.6 (Obsidian), also connecting Wirelessly
There's a Windows XP Pro Box that is 192.168.2.4 (Archangel), connected via Ethernet to the router.

There are shares on all 3 machines. Obsidian and Archangel are having no problems seeing the other computers on the network or accessing the shares. Phoenix is the one having the problems. Phoenix used to be a Windows XP Pro machine that previously had no problems. Now it does. They are all on a Workgroup called Transmetro. When I spoke of the laptop being at work, that's just because I brought it with me tonight..normally it is at home on the same workgroup as the rest. There are a couple laptops and phones that connect wirelessly but do not have any shares and do not access them. I hope that clears it up a bit..sorry if it got a bit muddled.

I ask about that because there is a group policy setting that prevents accessing a share without username/password.

win+r
gpedit.msc
computer configuration
windows settings
security settings
local policies
security options
Network access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts and shares -> Ensure this is disabled on the host machine (the one with the shares)

Thanks for that, I'll have to try it out later. Generally though, wouldn't that impede the other computers on the network from accessing the shares?

win+r
gpedit.msc
computer configuration
windows settings
security settings
local policies
security options

Bah, so much for that one...it was disabled...:( Just not having much luck on this thing.

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::cc3a:8676:e3c0:ac57%13(Preferred)

Disable IPv6, you arent even using so there not need to allocate resources or to be assigning an address on for it. I have it disabled on all my W7 computers. You can disable it in the TCP/IP properties.

Disable IPv6, you arent even using so there not need to allocate resources or to be assigning an address on for it. I have it disabled on all my W7 computers. You can disable it in the TCP/IP properties.

Yeah I did that, no help there.

If it was me, at this point, I'd remove all security and firewall software, set each computer to use DHCP, and then start from scratch with the network setup. My only thoughts that are left is that something is amiss in your configuration because of all the trying, tweaking, checking, etc. I'd try to get everything back to the installed defaults as much as possible.

If it was me, at this point, I'd remove all security and firewall software, set each computer to use DHCP, and then start from scratch with the network setup. My only thoughts that are left is that something is amiss in your configuration because of all the trying, tweaking, checking, etc. I'd try to get everything back to the installed defaults as much as possible.

guess it's worth a shot.

Well strangely enough, when I was looking over everything, I found that client for microsoft networks wasn't installed. Well now it is, and the Win 7 Pro 64 machine (Phoenix) can at least see it's own shares, which is an improvement. But I still can't see Archangel (the Windows XP Pro box).

Back