Anyone remove hs on 6800 GT and use AS5?

OrionNT

[H]ard|Gawd
I was going to wait to remove the hs on my GT until I get a new cooler unless it worth the time. So, has anyone applied AS5? If so what temp differences do u get? The VGA Silencer needs to be available like now.

Yeah, I think I'm going to wait for the NV Silencer 4 to be released before I disassemble the heatsink.

I did yesterday, Took some kahonies!
The Gpu looks like it has a glass top (very fragile)
It also had some goop on it, Looked like AS5 :)
I lapped the heat sink(absolute crap :mad: ) with some 660, didn't take much.
The temps dropped about 3c.
But these cards have absolutely garbage cooling solutions.
I lapped my zally HP on my 5950U and that dropped temps about 8c
So I'm in search of a new cooling solution.
If you do it be real careful,
shades of cracked cores, I dreamt last night, I did :eek:

If anyone actually took the cooler off the 6800. I like to see pics of what the coor looks like without the cooler on top.

Thanks

Galvin said:
If anyone actually took the cooler off the 6800. I like to see pics of what the coor looks like without the cooler on top.

Thanks

I took it apart today and applied AS. I posted about it somewhere here too. Anyway, i didn't take pics and I'm not gonna take it apart again, but the heatpads on my mem in some places weren't even on, they were skewed to one side with 0 contact. The core is really fine, very silver and beautiful, it's really a site. I cleaned it with some 91% asopropyl alcohol (yes, not 99%); everything seems to be running fine.

There are 3 pieces to the assembly, 4 really:
1. The fan/blower
2. The Ram Heatsink
3. The core heatsink (gay, it's silver, probably aluminum..they shoulda used copper)
4. The 'X' shaped thing on the back that holds the core heatsink on.

I never unplugged my fan doing the whole thing. It WAS nerve wracking. But I"m glad I did it my temps feel about 4C idle and 4-6C load.

I also put some AS3 on my GT yesterday.

my idle temps went from 59C to 54C. > not too bad but the load temps pretty much stayed the same.

the biggest PITA I had was cleaning off the thermal tape residue from the memory chips. good Lord that was some nasty chit to clean off. :p

Galvin said:
All the pics are not working.

Here are a few pics that a found in my cache.

GTGPU.jpg

6800gtnohs.jpg

gtcoolertop.jpg

GTcoolerbm.jpg

Still not working. Maybe the person ran out of bandwith for the pics or something.

i just put AS5 on my card last night. you see, i read these forums and think, "oh thats a great idea! just tear apart my $400 video card and look at the pretty GPU. then, try to not break it as i put it back together." (btw, the GPU is so beautiful)

a good friend of mine pointed out to me that i have "fallen off the bell curve of what is normal."

I see reports of temperature drops but no overclocking numbers. Is anyone getting better performance after the temperature decreases?

toga said:
i just put AS5 on my card last night. you see, i read these forums and think, "oh thats a great idea! just tear apart my $400 video card and look at the pretty GPU. then, try to not break it as i put it back together." (btw, the GPU is so beautiful)

a good friend of mine pointed out to me that i have "fallen off the bell curve of what is normal."

Can the core Heatsink be removed without removing the Ram Heatsink? I would like to leave the thermal pads on my memory, just want to put ceramique on my gpu.

G

"fallen off the bell curve of what is normal."
We'll catch ya :D

gthompson20: Yes the Gpu HS is a seperate unit. Just be careful of the back plate.

OPUS1 said:
"fallen off the bell curve of what is normal."
We'll catch ya :D

gthompson20: Yes the Gpu HS is a seperate unit. Just be careful of the back plate.

Cool thanks!

Back