Anyone still rocking an Asus Crosshair VII Hero?

Sumanji

Limp Gawd
Curious if anyone is still rocking this X470 mobo?

I got mine in 2018 with a 2700X, upgraded to a 5900X a couple of years ago, and will hopefully keep this setup going for at least another ~18 months.

It's had a few foibles, but generally been a great mobo. What have your experiences been?

I've got 2 of them and they're still kicking and screaming to this day. Both have 5800X's running in them and they haven't skipped a beat.

Great boards aren't they? Admittedly I don't have experience with any other X470 boards 😅 but it does seem like it's worth paying the Asus premium...

All of my boards since both DFI and Abit disappeared have been Asus.

(Waiting for someone to swing by and tell me I'm totally wrong 😂)

For me, it was the only motherboard I've ever bought that was DOA lol. Got a replacement from seller (Newegg) and it's been running solid ever since. Purchased in July 2018.

Eventually wound up with this config for my girlfriend: https://valid.x86.fr/z39r5g (1700 @ 4GHz, MSI Evoke 5700 BIOS flashed to 5700 XT, cooled by Mugen 5 push/pull in a Fractal Define C TG case). 1700 is probably an uncommon pairing with X470, but for the minimal usage and occasional gaming sessions (Sunkenland, Valheim, and Palworld recently) it does 1080P fine. Have a friend looking at a gaming rig so it might find a new home soon. Upgrading to a 5800X3D (or basically any Zen 3 chip) and more powerful GPU would really make it great. Define C just limits GPU length a good bit.

Big fan of DFI myself, still have a UT NF4 rig in storage. Don't have them anymore but I also had the 790FXB-M2RSH, 790FXB-M3H5 and X58-T3eH8. Fantastic boards.

I've bounced around Asrock, Gigabyte, and Asus on AM4 and generally had good experiences with all of them. MSI was the only one I didn't give a chance because they were the only board vendor that didn't support unbuffered ECC. I go for build quality and value, and generally this has me gravitating towards Asrock these days. Friend just upgraded a Cyberpower prebuilt to the B550 PG Velocita, and $140 brand new with a plenty capable VRM and even POST code- nobody even gets close to that great of a value. I get AM4 isn't the newest now so pricing can be skewed, but even on AM5 Asrock is super competitive at the different price ranges.

Great boards aren't they? Admittedly I don't have experience with any other X470 boards 😅 but it does seem like it's worth paying the Asus premium...

(Waiting for someone to swing by and tell me I'm totally wrong 😂)

They aren't bad boards. I don't think it's worth paying a premium for them though. I have a cheap ass Gigabyte B450 board from the same era that works just as flawlessly as the X470 Hero I have also. There is nothing inherently special about them.

Back