Anyone test the Samsung 2693HM yet

Treyshadow

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi all, I am looking for a new monitor, and though there are some nice 24" panels, I would really like something a little larger. I am now seeing some 26" panels like the Planar, but I just spotted this new samsung panel. With HDMI, DVI, and VGA ports on the panel, this looks like a winner to me. Has anyone seen or used the new Samsung 2693HM?

Samsung 2693HM

These are running about $600 so what other monitors should I look at in the same price range?

It is actually 25,5", don`t bother asking why, it`s just plain gay.

I`m getting the 2493HM Tommorrow and I think I`m gonna be the first one on this planet that is doing a review about the HM-models, since I`ve been looking for reviews for ages now but couldn`t find any.

It costs as much as good 24" on PVA/MVA and offers 1.5" more at cost of being TN.
Not exactly what I'd call bargain.

I've had the chance to test the 24" variant of this monitor for a short time recently while my usual PVA was in for repairs (which I was betting would take a long while... which it didn't).

While I was fairly pleased with it, I'll have to agree with the above poster on it's price point.

Some observations:

The controls are touch-sensitive and incredibly hard to see where they are, which were a pain in the behind unless I had my lights way up to see what I was pressing.

Backlight bleeding... quite present, at every edge, seemingly mainly the bottom.

The TN viewing angle downsides were very prevalent at this size, as you could never get the top and the bottom to be head on at the same time. XP blue would look light blue at the bottom, dark blue at the top, annoying for a PVA/MVA user.

Hard to find good settings, but overall decent picture.

I was impressed by the gradients which were superb, no banding whatsoever.

This monitor is packed with features, ports, and no skimping on the stand (tilt, rotate, height adjust.. etc). -- Edit: Actually... it claims it has "USB (optional)" on the stand... mine flat out did not.

Nearly inaudible, slight hum was barely audible on my unit.

No dead pixels.

Anywho, it's going back now. While it has it's obvious negatives, I wouldn't dismiss it as a good TN monitor, if you're into TN.

Me... I'm still patiently waiting on a new 24" PVA/MVA to come out and hopefully not fail like Dell's.

Feel free to ask any question while the experience is still fresh in my mind :D

Back