anyone think this is a good idea?

Kinda a loaded question. It really depends on what you are going to be doing with the device. e-reader? movies? games? etc.

I was personally considering one, but I was disappointed that it is basically the iPad 2 hardware in a smaller package. However, depending on your usage, that might not be an issue for you.

well what I like is the fact it is loaded with all the power of it's bigger brother, not a nuetered version of a very capable tablet.
I am torn between a good android tablet and the mini.

Personally, I haven't messed with the Nexus 7, but I have heard good things about it. I had a Touchpad that I put Ice Cream Sandwich on, but to be honest, I never really got into it. My wife has the iPad 2 and loves it. I think I lean a little more toward iOS, but getting a hold of something running JellyBean might change that for me.

I think another consideration is if you are already invested in the Apple ecosystem at all currently. If you have a Mac or iPhone, I think I would personally go with the mini. Seems like a pretty solid device. For consumption of media, it's a good pick.

My only caveat goes back to the iPad 2 in the small package. My worry is how well supported it will be depending on how hard devs push the new processors. I would hate to go with the mini and find it chugs a little running the same app the new iPad runs flawlessly. Again, if you aren't gaming and running really demanding apps, it won't matter.

Food for thought I suppose! :)

Apple really maximized the size of screen that will fit in one hand. I have used friends Acer Android 7" and anothers RIM Playbook 7" IMO the screen/aspect combo on these aren't that good for we browsing. Too small and skinny.

But it really looks like you get a lot more screen in the Mini. Not to mention nearly 300 000 applications designed for exactly this resolution. Not a bunch of stretched phone apps.

I am leaning toward getting one, but I have to try it in person first.

From what I gather the guts of the ipad mini are the same as the ipad2 which should mean all they did was package on a smaller screen.
But my wife said I have too big of fingers to use such a small screen and should go with the IPAD2

But my wife said I have too big of fingers to use such a small screen and should go with the IPAD2

I don't know how anyone could possibly know that without trying it first. I certainly don't, which is why I have to hold it my hands and try it.

It is actually a little better than the iPad 2. It has better cameras front and back, it has better Wifi chips, and it runs Siri (iPad 2 doesn't). But none of those things may matter to you, but they are improvements.

I've ordered a mini, even though I have a Nexus 7 (and will probably get a Nexus 10, too).

After using the GN7, I'm a fan of these smaller tabs for their greater portability. Also, I can now off-load apps off of my 3nd Gen iPad to free up space.

I think Phil's comments about the GN7 being a poor experience isn't true, but I agree with his comments about the screen shape and I just like iOS apps more. But I own a lot of Android apps (several of which won't run on the GN7 - which really pisses me off) so I'm still searching for the right Android tab. I'm thinking this new Nexus on Monday will be it.

I'm thinking the Mini may be more useful (than my phone) for several things like snapping shots around the house, sitting on the couch, and using it in my car on trips. I like that it is light weight. I'm not too bothered that it didn't have a retina screen as I have one on my other iPad. Not that I would mine one, though. One does wonder what Apple would charge if it had both a retina screen and a A6X chip. You know they could not charge the same as a 4th Gen iPad!?!? OTHO, that experience would be a lot less than optimal because battery life would be poor and it would be a lot heavier. Thus, as I see things, a Mini with retina and A6X would not have met their "experience goals" and a lot of people would be pissed. If you want a premium experience, get the 4th gen iPad. If portability is a primary consideration, get the Mini.

I seriously had no idea an "ipad4" was unveiled.... and even funnier I had to actually google for what the hell the differences were.

So basically 7 months after the "magical" ipad3 came out - it's been tossed in the retirement home and given a retina display and a new front facing camera and a bit better cpu?

Holy balls -- so the lifecycle of some apple products is about 180 days now before they are old? Just imagine some of the folks who went in on one a month or two ago being told now "your crap is old, here buy this new new ipad, we promise it's the bestest most awesome one EVAR!"

*6 months later* iPad 5!

I seriously had no idea an "ipad4" was unveiled.... and even funnier I had to actually google for what the hell the differences were.

So basically 7 months after the "magical" ipad3 came out - it's been tossed in the retirement home and given a retina display and a new front facing camera and a bit better cpu?

Holy balls -- so the lifecycle of some apple products is about 180 days now before they are old? Just imagine some of the folks who went in on one a month or two ago being told now "your crap is old, here buy this new new ipad, we promise it's the bestest most awesome one EVAR!"

*6 months later* iPad 5!

Someone on [H] is actually complaining about a new and better product coming out the same year as the previous new and better product? Really?

As someone who bought the iPad 3 and preordered the 4, I can say that I don't want Apple to slow the pace at which they improve their products.

The only thing I see really disappointing about the iPad Mini is if it only has 512MB of RAM. It hasn't been confirmed as of yet and if it is in fact just the same iPad 2 A5 with 512MB then I would of much rather seen Apple use an updated A5 or A6 that has 1GB of RAM so that there isn't so much question about its future performance in apps designed for the iPad 4 and next years iPad 5. I'm debating on ordering one today for 11/2 delivery so I can try it out but I may wait and see what reviewers have to say once they put it through the paces.

Apple would of been smart to of released the device at $299 and then the complaint about the specs would of been far less and I have no doubt that they would of sold more than enough extra to make up for the difference in profit margin. It may only be $30 but that amount of money right there was the difference between Apple releasing a product that will still sell well vs a product that would of put a major hurt on the Kindle Fire HD and Nexus 7.

Last edited:
The only thing I see really disappointing about the iPad Mini is if it only has 512MB of RAM. It hasn't been confirmed as of yet and if it is in fact just the same iPad 2 A5 with 512MB then I would of much rather seen Apple use an updated A5 or A6 that has 1GB of RAM so that there isn't so much question about its future performance in apps designed for the iPad 4 and next years iPad 5. I'm debating on ordering one today for 11/2 delivery so I can try it out but I may wait and see what reviewers have to say once they put it through the paces.

Apple would of been smart to of released the device at $299 and then the complaint about the specs would of been far less and I have no doubt that they would of sold more than enough extra to make up for the difference in profit margin. It may only be $30 but that amount of money right there was the difference between Apple releasing a product that will still sell well vs a product that would of put a major hurt on the Kindle Fire HD and Nexus 7.

I'm guessing it has 1gb ram because it runs Siri and iPad 2 doesn't, even after the iOS 6 update.

I've got an iPad 2, so I don't think I'll be buying the mini this go around, but if in 6 months to a year it gets iPad 3 or almost iPad 4ish power, then I'll definitely scoop one up. I love the form factor as an "on the go" machine, which is what I use my Nexus 7 for. 10" is perfect as my couch surfing device and for a co-pilot in games like minecraft and X3:TC.

As a another poster above noted, I'll probably also buy the Nexus 10 when that comes out as well. Jelly Bean Android is definitely a stark difference from when I started on Android with 2.3 and a Nook Color. Luckily there's a pretty active used market to buy up the previous gen tablets, because it seems like I'm getting a new one every 6-8 months... :)

Definitely excited for the form factor though, if that's what the OP meant in the "worth it" question.

The ONLY reason that I'm looking at a mini now is because it comes with a Lighting Cable and 12W power adaptor.

I need extras of these, and if purchased from Apple,it will cost me 40$.

The ONLY reason that I'm looking at a mini now is because it comes with a Lighting Cable and 12W power adaptor.

I need extras of these, and if purchased from Apple,it will cost me 40$.

That seems a bit extreme. $330 to save $40?

Back