anyone tried new samsung series 7 ultra yet

shadowlord

2[H]4U
here in europe the new series 7 ultra seems to be made out of unobtanium right now.

spec wise it's exactly what i want. ( HD screen, SSD, small size, enough usb connections)
But i'm looking for silent operation while doing web/office stuff.

So anyone can comment on it's fan control?

I don't think it has been released here in the US yet. I've been keeping a close eye on it. Definitely some nice specs for the size.

answered the question myself ;)

cd02wvptxv95o9nhy.jpg

dead silent during web browsing/ office work even when in auto mode.
but windows 8 took me some time to get used to ( no start menu microsoft ?, really ?)

anyway, the back-light from the keyboard often comes on by itself.
Anyone know what might cause this?

13" 1920x1080 matte display
i5 - 3337u (1,8 GHz)
6 GB - 1600MHz
128 GB SSD
1 GB Radeon HD8550M
4 cell, 57 Wh battery

only thing i miss is a digital audio out.

Where did you find it? I went into BestBuy and they did not have anything but the 4gb RAM/128gb SSD with no dedicated GPU options. Is the SSD user upgradeable?

Thanks for the link. Will check it out when they are done with maintenance... I can not decide between this one and the bigger 15" Samsung Series 7 Chronos. What kind of battery life are we talking about here? Anyone have the Chronos?

Is the SSD a normal in the 13"? Most likely a mSata SSD.

I think in the review she states 6 hrs on average with it. Initial press release around CES maxed it out at 8 with the chronos stating 10 (of course, this was probably dim beyond use and using notepad:)).

Side note: I think she also mentioned that the discreet graphics version has not made it to the US yet, only the Intel 4000 model at Best Buy. (Unless shadowlord wants to ship us some from Europe!).

Edit: Site is back up. About 5:20 in they spliced in some pictures of the internals... picture kinda sucks, but it looks like there is an mSata card hidden under a ribbon cable.

Last edited:
it seems this is one rare occasion where we got a model earlier here in Europe.

i think with browsing / office stuff 6-7 h continuous runtime should be possible.

still not sure why the keyboard backlight comes on without me activating it.
some minor annoyance i noticed is that the status light for battery charging is only visible when the laptop is open. When closed you can't see if the charging cycle is finished.

How is touch screen responsiveness so far? Also, how sexy is that 1920x1080 on a 13" screen :)

went for the cheaper model without touch.
But the high resolution on the relatively small screen makes picture viewing awesome sharp, text can be tiny sometimes though.

i run the same resolution on my main rigs 23" NEC where edges look a bit jagged now :(

Back