Anyone try out the new Arctic Cooling GTX 280 cooler?

the only problem i see is that it don't exhaust the hot air out the back, instead just recirculate the air around

Looks good. It might heat up your case temps a bit, but might be worth it if it cools the video card down well and reduces noise.

Based on my longtime use of an Accelero Extreme on my G80 8800GTS, it was a total marvel. It dropped temps to 40-45 load, and I couldn't hear it (main reason I got it).

I have no doubt this unit will work just fine.

Yep -- it's the Accelero Extreme G80 repurposed with another heatpipe thrown in for good measure. Probably the best air cooling option for GT200 cards that will ever be available.

I've always wanted to see someone make some ghetto shroud for the AC Accelero Extreme coolers - or rig up something that will somehow maintain/guide the hot hair towards the PCI slots.

Yeah sorta makes you wonder why there are no crazy stock cooler options for the nVidia cards like there are with the AMD ones.

too bad you lose your warranty changing out coolers :(

Depends on the manufacturer. I'm an XFX man, so I have no worries about changing coolers on and off; no problem or affect on the warranty. I believe other manufacturers like EVGA also support this, but I'm not positive on who does or doesn't.

Depends on the manufacturer. I'm an XFX man, so I have no worries about changing coolers on and off; no problem or affect on the warranty. I believe other manufacturers like EVGA also support this, but I'm not positive on who does or doesn't.

XFX does not care that you swap coolers? That's pretty cool I never knew that. I have two eVGA GTX-285's I'd love to put these coolers on. I might just do it anyway lol.

XFX does not care that you swap coolers? That's pretty cool I never knew that. I have two eVGA GTX-285's I'd love to put these coolers on. I might just do it anyway lol.

Well, they support the removal of the cooler and the use of aftermarket solutions if the card isn't damaged while doing so.

Very cool!

I can't find these coolers for sale anywhere online, I guess they are not availible yet?

I don't see the point anymore, I will be upgrading my card in the not so distant future so AM coolers for my GTX280 are too little to late

you probably wouldn't be able to see the card under all that heatsink anyways. three 92mm fans is about the length of the entire card. it would just be a picture of the heatsink with a bracket at the end.

Yeah sorta makes you wonder why there are no crazy stock cooler options for the nVidia cards like there are with the AMD ones.

I think this is because of the limited number of manufacturers for NVidia cards. With Nvidia I believe the majority of the cards are made by the same manufacturer and then resold through companies like eVGA, XFX, BFG, etc.

I believe ATI/AMD cards are still produced by many individual companies, so ASUS might hire some manufacture to produce a graphics card with a specific cooler and Diamond might hire a different manufacture to do something similar.

I think this is because of the limited number of manufacturers for NVidia cards. With Nvidia I believe the majority of the cards are made by the same manufacturer and then resold through companies like eVGA, XFX, BFG, etc.

I believe ATI/AMD cards are still produced by many individual companies, so ASUS might hire some manufacture to produce a graphics card with a specific cooler and Diamond might hire a different manufacture to do something similar.

i believe for the 9800gtx and the gtx260, nvidia actually didn't allow companies to make their own variants, they could only buy cards, not single chips.

I think also the majority of nvidia designed cards do pretty well with stock cooling. All the cards I've owned (with the exception of the 9800gx2) ran cool and stayed quiet. ATI probably do just as well, but maybe the companies that sell their cards just add on fancy coolers as a selling point? I have no experience with ATI so I can't really comment on their cooling. For me anyway, I've never needed an aftermarket cooler, but it definitely has a lot to do with your case/airflow.

Back