anyone use Aperture?

Atherton213

[H]ard|Gawd
looks like a pretty sweet program.. wish there was a windows version... thoughts on it? :confused: :D

Aperture has made a tremendous difference for me. I've been using it for a month or two now on my 15" Powerbook. Seriously one of the best workflow programs I've ever used.

that makes me .... the windows user... sad :(

wonder if they will release a PC version of it...

hmmm or... i could get a mac.... hmmmmm PC... Mac.... PC.... Mac... damn i want a new camera first.... :( so much to buy... not enough money

seriously, if you're a professional or serious amateur shooter, Aperture should be on your shortlist of workflow management applications.

Why the hell would Apple make a Windows version of Aperture? :confused:

Anyway, if you want to make yourself less sad, either buy a Mac or read BEIGE's review at Ars Technica. ;)

Have you guys that love aperture tried out Adobe Lightroom? I downloaded a copy of the demo last night since it'a a free beta. I wish aperture had a demo to decide if it was worth the $$ for my low levels of images.

I've used Aperature and I really like it. I tried Lightroom but I liked the feel of Aperture more. Lightroom will probably go PC eventually.

There are a few raw workflow apps for windows

Phase one's Capture one (both platform, my choice)
Bibble (both platform)
Adobe camera raw (photoshop plugin)
Adobe Lightroom (which had been mentioned)

Adobe Lightroom/Bibble are the most "workflow oriented" (multi versions of single shot, etc) where capture is, import folder (keeps folders intact) process, export, done

edit: I think phase one produces the best images, and manages profiles better

Black Morty Rackham said:
Why the hell would Apple make a Windows version of Aperture? :confused:

Anyway, if you want to make yourself less sad, either buy a Mac or read BEIGE's review at Ars Technica. ;)

why not?... they would probly make more money...

atherton213 said:
why not?... they would probly make more money...

Mind of a windows user who desperately wants aperture

Copy of aperture: $500
windows machine: free
total: $500 assuming there would ever be a win version, at the same price

"no windows version, looks like it's time to buy a mac"
mac to run aperture: $3k (aprox for something serious)
copy of aperture: $500
total $3500

what do you think apple would rather sell?

TekieB said:

total $3500

good call....

TekieB said:

total $3500

my bet is that apple will make aperture successful, and that if they don't release it for the pc, someone will make an app that is very similar. windows users will use that app, because it's the best solution for their platform.

because of economies of scale, offering aperture to windows users would be very profitable, as maybe 1 in 10 potential users will buy a completely different platform for one program. also, aperture has essentially no costs (packaging and disc cost is very small), so once the program has actually been developed, it's basically $500 of profit each time they make a sale. it's in their best interest to sell as many as possible to minimize development costs and increase profit margin. when apple sells a 3k computer, there's quite a bit of profit that's lost to part and assembly costs.

I thought Lightroom Beta had the ability to work with RAW files. I snapped a few shots in RAW the other night and Lightroom did not recognize them. Strange.

Then again, I've never worked with RAW picture files before anyway. I assume I am missing something, but since I don't know what Im missing I can't really get bent outta shape about it!! :p

Back