Anyone use apt-src?

th3rmite

Limp Gawd
Hey I've been using Debian Sarge for like 6 months now. And I've always used apt-get. Now I was wondering what is the difference between apt-get and apt-src. I understand that one is precompiled binaries and one is source. I am wondering about usability.

I just use apt-get. However, there are advantages to apt-src; if you need to compile it ever again to change the options or whatever, you know that the source will compile. Sometimes packages take a while to configure right to get the right options, but with apt-src you know you've got a reasonable set of defaults.

I've used apt-src to try and make the system more like gentoo- compiling source for i686 and with various optimizations. However, I've found it does not work so well. It may work fine for an app here or there, but trying to apt-src big packages will fail. Seems you'll eventaully run into something where apt can't find the source for a dependency.

I had a sneakin suspicion that it wouldn't be so good with dependencies. Me thinks I'm too skeered to try it out on my home system. If I want to compile everything I guess I would just use gentoo

Back