Anyone using Windows x64 yet?

rolo

Gawd
So is anyone else running the new, final release of 64-bit Windows yet? I've found it's a bit snappier, although regular 32-bit shell extensions don't work (or I don't know how to make them work). I also couldn't get my Silicon Image 3114 RAID controller to work, it keeps saying that "the device couldn't start."

ws03sp1x64.png

(and yes, it's legit!)

I'm going to wait and see if things like AIM, Firefox, WoW work first, and if it installs over XP. Then I need to wait for 64bit drivers for everything (sound card and mouse if needed). Finally, I need to wait for a 64bit version of Windowblinds.

ahh, but its getting too late to get it for free :), and the nvidia drivers are already available

It's a free upgrade to XP Pro users. I don't see any reason not to dual boot.

shadowbreaker513 said:
I'm going to wait and see if things like AIM, Firefox, WoW work first, and if it installs over XP. Then I need to wait for 64bit drivers for everything (sound card and mouse if needed). Finally, I need to wait for a 64bit version of Windowblinds.

No reason it shouldnt. It runs the games in their 32bit extensions, they've already released test results on farcry, doom3, UT2004, Half Life 2, and a few did Everquest 2. No problems what so ever. No frame gains as the programs are still running in 32bit and arent taking advantage of the bandwhith increase, nor will they for a bit yet, but they didnt drop either.

Biggest pain in the ass will be uninstalling and re-installing compatable hardware drivers. I'd of upgraded by now if it werent for that. Dont feel like dealing with 15 different error messages because the onboard temp monitor cant be recognized.

the bandwidth increase? last i checked, going from 32bit to 64bit mode doesn't increase your bandwidth.. just some other things that i don't really feel like explaining now cause i'm trying to cut up a black dfi box to fit my mobo in it :D

(cf)Eclipse said:
the bandwidth increase? last i checked, going from 32bit to 64bit mode doesn't increase your bandwidth.. just some other things that i don't really feel like explaining now cause i'm trying to cut up a black dfi box to fit my mobo in it :D

was referring to 64-bit memory addressing. im going to sleep.

Shifra said:
was referring to 64-bit memory addressing. im going to sleep.
gotcha ;)

though, it's not like current desktops can effectively use more than 2gb anyway. 4gb is possible.. but probably hell on the memory controller, and damn expensive (4x1gb sticks)

When epson releases printer drivers for my R200, then i'll switch to X64

I downloaded it to run on my a64 for awhile. Works nice, but I had a lot of trouble finding drivers when I had it running.

And yes, mine was legit too. :p

considering the beta's were free and microsoft is trading winxp 32 for 64 for free. Many ppl have it "legit" It just went gold few days ago on msdn

OK. So if you have a legit copy of XP Pro and an MSDN account you get it for free?

No.. MSDN get it for free even without a legit copy. We need to have a legit copy w/out MSDN to get it. I'm using a copy of XP Pro my friend gave me that I never had to activate. It even passed the genuine certification test. Updates windows and everything.. But it's a copy on cdr...

unless your doing audio video encoding i wouldnt go 64bit yet... not worth it imo :)

i have been trying to find how owners of windows xp pro can trade their license for winxp64. any point in the direction is appreaciated.

I don't think you can trade yet, after it goes retail you can. Just goto the MS site and there's a section that has WinXP x64 edition somewhere. I'm too lazy to find it for ya, but it's there.

The Customer Preview Program for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Release Candidate 2 (RC2) is now closed.

While you can no longer register to receive the Customer Preview Program Kit or the trial downloadable software for RC2, we expect the full-release version of the preview kit and the downloadable trial software to be available soon.

Already registered for RC2? Don't worry. If you've already registered for the Customer Preview Program Kit or the downloadable software for RC2, your order will be filled.

too late.

If you have a MSDN account you can get it, till then, wait for Retail

no, that is something entirely different than what i am inquiring about. this has to do with a program for trading in your windows xp license for a windows xp 64 copy and license.

I think Im just gunna wait till longhorn comes out. this seems not worth it at the moment

x64: http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-0b146bfd7501/w2k3sp1_1218_usa_x64fre_pro.iso

Your on your own for the key, M$'s website will give you one for free if you fill out all the required info.

I am running x64, i told myself that after many previous attempts that i would use this for a month .... its been two weeks so far.

Main Complaints: the need for 64bit drivers for everything, so certain programs no longer have certain features (i.e. cd importing in iTunes). Other than that its completely pointless because i dont have 32gb of ram .... ;)

(cf)Eclipse said:
though, it's not like current desktops can effectively use more than 2gb anyway.

Why not?

(cf)Eclipse said:
4gb is possible.. but probably hell on the memory controller, and damn expensive (4x1gb sticks)

If you buy the right motherboard, you get eight slots and can use 512 MB parts to get 4 gigs.

no desktop mobo's have more than 4 slots. you have to get a server board if you want more, at which point you have registered ram, which allows for much higher densities... thus more ram :D

as for the 2gb limit.. i say that with reservation. everyone should know that a64's normally can't run 4 double sided sticks at 200mhz. some have excellent memory controllers and can do 200mhz at 2t, but most people with 4 sticks in have to drop down to 166mhz and 2t.. some just can't boot. not a good situation. thus the 'effective' limit of 2gb. if you've got a lot of money to burn, and have a cpu that can reliably run 4 double sided sticks, yeah, you can go 4x1gb, as i said before ;)

(cf)Eclipse said:
no desktop mobo's have more than 4 slots. you have to get a server board if you want more, at which point you have registered ram, which allows for much higher densities... thus more ram :D

I see. I guess we'll just end up arguing about the difference between a "workstation motherboard" and a "desktop motherboard".

The Tyan S2885, for example, is a workstation motherboard, and has more eight DIMM sockets.

yup, the thing that defines server vs desktop for me is s940, which means you have to buy opterons.. which are aimed towards the server market. simple as that ;)

so where do i get my key? i had the evaluation one forever, so where do i ge tmy permanent key?

would it work with my inferior 32 bit p4?

oh, and where is the key?

nope P
though if you get a 6xx cpu, it has EMT64, which is basically x86-64.. just named different.

Where in the heck do you get a serial number or go to fill out the stuff to get one? I keep looking on the microsoft site and can't find anything. I'm downloading the iso though, thanks for the link. :cool:

serbiaNem said:
It's a free upgrade to XP Pro users. I don't see any reason not to dual boot.
Do you physically exchange your XP Pro for the 64-bit edition? How does this work?

Back