anyone using windows xp 64-bit?

Jesus_Faction

[H]ard|Gawd
I just installed windows 64 this morning and it will not load if i run my ram at 1T command rate
this seems odd since i only have 2x512 twinmos sp
i have a venice 3000 and a dfi ultra d nf4

anyone get this working at all?

I've been running it for about a week now and so far it's gone well, very few problems. I'm running my memory @ 1T.

hi, thanks for the reply
although it doesnt make me feel any better about this issure :(

ive updated to the newest bios and thats no help.......i cant figure out what the problem here is

i had no problem running 1T on windows 32-bit

jesus faction; did setup ever hang for you right after it finished loading the various drivers and such from the CD? i've got the same board and almost the same proc (a 3200), and not sure what's causing it. I manually had it load SATA storage from a floppy that I put 64bit drivers on, then it finished loading some other stuff, says "starting windows", and then.. nothing.

that happen to you?

Is there a retail version of x64? i would really like to get my hands on it, LEGIT! haha, i've searched and they say you can only get it if you buy a new computer, or upgrade from the 32bit OS....

EDIT: ok the PC has XP home w/ sp2. now how do i upgrade to x64? and yes i am going to have a 64 bit processor on it.

you can buy it OEM if you buy other hardware along with it. Picked mine up on sale at Directron.com I think it was. Bought an accessory to help mount 120mm fans

CaptRingold said:
jesus faction; did setup ever hang for you right after it finished loading the various drivers and such from the CD? i've got the same board and almost the same proc (a 3200), and not sure what's causing it. I manually had it load SATA storage from a floppy that I put 64bit drivers on, then it finished loading some other stuff, says "starting windows", and then.. nothing.

that happen to you?

I didnt have any problems installing it since i was only using one stick of ram during install, but with two sticks the command rate had to be at 2T or else it would reset on the loading windows screen

Can you upgrade from 32-bit windows to 64-bit windows or do you have to completly reformat?

To those of you using x64 notice any differences from day to day usage? (apperance, features, performance) compared to x32 :confused:

I cant upgrade, Because when I've completed an upgrade I feel like I did a half ass job and my brain makes me think me computer is slower duhh.. ahaha

Clean Format and install the only way!! :D

Naldo said:
That sucks. Thanks for the info

Jasonx82 said:
I cant upgrade, Because when I've completed an upgrade I feel like I did a half ass job and my brain makes me think me computer is slower duhh.. ahaha

Clean Format and install the only way!! :D
werd.

Jasonx82 said:
To those of you using x64 notice any differences from day to day usage? (apperance, features, performance) compared to x32 :confused:

One thing i noticed when running 3D Mark 03 was that both CPU tests ran alot better than on normal XP.

Trolls lair for example, on regular XP i usually got 2-3 FPS when those trolls were on-screen. Now im getting 7-9 FPS at the same parts. Im not 100% sure if this is because of x64, but ive made no adjustments to anything apart from the OS, so i like to think it is :)

Funnily enough though, the GFX accelerated tests ran worse. Maybe because of NVIDIA's x64 drivers?

Jesus_Faction said:
I just installed windows 64 this morning and it will not load if i run my ram at 1T command rate
this seems odd since i only have 2x512 twinmos sp
i have a venice 3000 and a dfi ultra d nf4

anyone get this working at all?

are you overclocking? If I load any 64bit OS on my machine (Linux or Windows) I have to back my overclock down to 2.4ghz from 2.5 (socket 939 Winchester)

I installed it on an unused partition of mine, and the first thing it did was to kill my Windows 2000 install. Then, in XP64 it decided that 64bit programs can access the internet, but nothing else! (IE32, Firefox, Thunderbird, etc). I managed to use a backup I made before the installation to restore 2000.

Has anyone else had these issues? If so, how was it resolved?

The install went smooth for me, rigs in sig. Only problems so far, harddrive seems a little slow and uguru doesnt want to work. I will just try something else for temp monitoring.

^^^ MBM still works fine.

running Kingston HyperX 512x2 @ 1T just fine.

Also, CaptRingold, the problem you're having sounds like you are using the wrong SATA drivers during setup. What mobo do you have?

I had to play with it for a little while too. It would not install corectly on my Diamondmax 10. It seemed to hang after the drivers are copied and setup reboots.
I found an old drive and instaled it on a partition of that drive successfully....finally...
Drivers are a little tough to find and work with. I am happy with the upgrade and have everything in my sig put back together and running again.

I've got WinXP32 dual booted with WinXP64 (each have their own hard drive) and experienced only 1 problem so far: After WinXP64 was installed, I tried to boot back into WinXP32, and got the error "NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupted". I booted from my windows cd, ran the recovery console, did an expand on the compressed ntoskrnl.ex_ file into the root of the drive, and all was good after that.

Got a question for everyone out there: Is anyone successfully using an 802.11b/g wireless card with WinXP64? The motherboard listed in my sig comes with a wireless pci card, but Gigabyte doesn't have drivers available. I've contacted tech support there, and they said that since the hardware isn't 64-bit, they can't write a 64-bit driver for it (but of course they are working on new hardware that will be WinXP64 compatible). If I'm not mistaken, isn't the standard PCI bus 32-bit architecture? And isn't the AGP bus 32-bit also? As well as the USB, onboard sound and LAN, serial ports, parallel port, etc, etc, etc? These all seem to function quite well in WinXP64. According to AMD x-64 web page, companies like Atheros and Broadcom either already have a wireless 64-bit driver or they are currently working on them. So is Gigabyte just feeding me a bunch of crap here, or is it truly tangible that the wireless pci card included with my 64-bit capable motherboard just won't cut it?

Sorry for the long post, it's just that I've been back-and-forth with the tech support people a few times already and I'm just not buying what they are telling me.

DejaWiz said:
they said that since the hardware isn't 64-bit, they can't write a 64-bit driver for it
That seems true. But they could write a driver that works, Windows64 can run 32bit.

DoughBOy said:
That seems true. But they could write a driver that works, Windows64 can run 32bit.
How many bits the bus of the hardware runs on is meaningless when writing drivers. USB is 1 bit, yet I have plenty of USB drivers in my Windows x64 install. I've been running x64 for about 2 years now. ;) And it's very nice.

(Some might call me biased however.)

So if I'm understanding everyone correctly, Gigabyte should have no problems whatsoever writing a 64-bit compatible driver for their current wireless pci cards and what they've been telling me is a big load of crap?

DejaWiz said:
So if I'm understanding everyone correctly, Gigabyte should have no problems whatsoever writing a 64-bit compatible driver for their current wireless pci cards and what they've been telling me is a big load of crap?
That is correct. :)

Oh joy. Well then, Gigabyte can gigabite it. Does anyone know of any good pci 802.11b/g wireless cards that have WinXP-64 bit drivers available at a really cheap price? I've heard good things about D-Link and Netgear, and with the rebates constantly offered on newegg, the price isn't that bad. Any recommendations?

EDIT: seems both d-link and netgear have no 64-bit drivers available yet. The only one seems to be the broadcom driver included with WinXP64. strange...

why would you wannna spend $155 on an OS that is almost guaranteed to wreak some sort of habbit with most (if not all) of your modern day hardware? :confused:

if you need an upgrade version you aint [H]ard

Toms hardware is just across the net... thanks for stoppin by

Luckily I didn't have to pay a thing for any of my software. My employer paid for a Microsoft MSDN Universal subscription for me, so I get all my software free of charge ;)

Here's the latest reply from Gigabyte's Tech Support:

Hi,

We are sorry that the GN-WPKG is 32-bit hardware and therefore there will not be a 64-bit driver for it.

As a manufacturer, Gigabyte is trying its best to support as many Operating Systems as possible. However, it will not be possible for us to support all of them.

There are always compatibility issues for computer products.Intel 915/925 chipset based motherboards can not support the new P4 dual-core processors. When Windows XP Service Pack 2 was released, a lot of hardware and applications fail to function. Some systems even crashed and needed to be rebuilt.

We don't have any trade in program or free upgrade when the new 64-bit cards are out.

Best regards,
GBT Tech Support

Pretty lame answer, eh?

Oh well. Shiznit happens...

All due respect, that is a load os BS. The same story with printers when WinXP came out.

"We're sorry, we don't plan to release updated drivers because this hardware was designed for Win98. Blah Blah Blah. Please upgrade to out new Lexmark double platinum fuck you and call you marry 3000ppm printer(TM) for only $259.99 to reap the benefits of WinXP. Have an illustrious day. But before your go, don't forget to buy print cartridges for only $64.99 ON SALE for only $59.99! Almost a $10 savings!"

And of course we all bought one...

You're absolutely right, it is total BS. Maybe a class action lawsuit for everyone out there with a GA-K8NXP-SLI will make them think twice about lackluster support?
No WinXP-64 drivers seems to be a trend among pretty much all wireless manufacturers. The only possibility I can think of is that they are all holding back their R&D on current offerings and focusing their efforts on the new upcoming 802.11n... I hope. Even though writing a 64-bit driver doesn't seem much of a daunting task since they've released one for just about every other piece of hardware they've released. Just doesn't make any sense to me what-so-f**king-ever.

Can anyobdy here with the OEM version run winver and tell me what build they are running?

I have a corporate copy (from work) and just want tto make sure I have the RTM build (3790)

I was on the hp website the other day and they had a fix for my printer (dj5159) you can use it with the dj990c driver that came with win64. i guess they had to write all their stock windows loaded drivers in 64bit before getting to all their other printers. while this solution isn't perfect, alot of the settings are disabled, its not terrible. i can print now and and least select colour mode and print quality.

It going to take a long time to remake all thoes drivers, and i wouldn't doubt if only select newer models were done.

oh and fuck promise, they released a faulty driver for their tx2/375/somethineelse chipset and then released a patch and it only works in raid and they didn't mention that (i discorvered that after tryign to install windows for 2 hours with it on EIDE)

I'm using the MSDN Windows XP x86-64 version 2003 w/SP1 version.

UPDATE: I got my wireless working in Win64!!! Wooohooo! Seems Gigabyte, along with many other motherboard and oem providers are using the RT2500 wireless g chip. I d/l the driver set from the original manufacturers website, booted win64, installed the drivers, and it was recognized as the Gigabyte Wireless G card! Im fact, I'm writing this post in Win64 now...

The link is here:

http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm

Good luck to all you Rt2500 users with WinXP64.

For those still interested, here's my latest nasty-gram to Gigabyte:

Hello,

Since the GN-WPKG is based on the Ralink RT2500 802.11g wireless chip, a 64-bit Windows driver IS available from the manufacturer's website. I have successfully installed the driver and it allows for full functionality in my Windows x64 Operating System environment and access to my current wireless network .

The driver can be found here: http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm

I feel it would be extrememly advantageous to Gigabyte if this driver is provided to customers for download from Giagbyte's web site. Call it a beta driver, a 3rd party unsupported driver, or whatever necessary.

Since this driver does indeed exist and functions with the current 32-bit hardware in a 64-bit Windows environment, I don't appreciate being flat out lied to by Gigabyte's Global Technical Service team. If honesty can not be maintained with a company's customer base, how does that reflect to current as well as potential customers once this kind of reputation gets around?

I have been a loyal Gigabyte customer for years now, but I have very little tolerance for insubordination of this magnitude. Please restore the faith I have lost in Gigabyte by doing the right thing: provide this driver to everyone using your wireless cards that need it.

Thank you

Hope this does the trick. If and when I get a response back, let me know if anyone is interested and I will post it.

Does AVG free edition work with XP64? It's the Antivirus I've used the most and I'd like to continue using it, but I don't want to bother installing it if it won't work.

Back