anything different between install Win xp on a 32 vs 64 bit CPU?

sumasage

n00b
recently builded my computer with an Opteron 170 Dual Core. Installed windows xp and it seem to act alot differently from when installed on my Athlon XP 1800+. For example, when try use the ping command, it give me error and something about Data Execution Prevention (DEP). I never get that before. Any info would help. Thanks.

That's an option in the system properties. The only main difference is that you will need to have the 64 bit drivers available on a CD or so.

You, ummm, did check to see if all your hardware/software was compatible with XP64, right?

actually i installed the 32 bit version of xp. it doesnt let me ping...this is *&^^*&( frustrating

Do you have access out to the internet? If it's a problem with DEP, just disable it in System Properties.

i can go out to the internet just fine. It doesnt have an option to turn it off. Can you show me how? thx.

Right click on My Computer
Choose Properties
Go to the Advanced tab
Click the Settings button under Performance
There's a tab for Data Execution Prevention.

doesnt give me an option to turn it off

NoDEP.jpg

I was at home when I posted that, and I could have sworn it said off. My work laptop has the same options as you.

my computer doesnt show the boot.ini file under C:, i already told it to show all hiden files and folder but nothing. I can open boot.ini by typing in c:\boot.ini but then it doesnt let me save the changes. This was also part of why i as if xp behave different if install on a system using a 64bit processor.

Why are we disabling this again??? This is a VALUABLE piece of security. It prevents many buffer overflows, a very popular method of running bad code.

How about we start with the actual error message and see if we can fix it, so we don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Phoenix86 said:
Why are we disabling this again??? This is a VALUABLE piece of security. It prevents many buffer overflows, a very popular method of running bad code.

How about we start with the actual error message and see if we can fix it, so we don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

if you want to start over then....i discovered the problem when i tried to ping an address. get the following error:

pingerror.jpg

some how it doesnt show the page where it indicate the DEP part but at the time first started to post it did give me some error message and i followed it to DEP.

Gotta be something else, I have DEP enabled and I can ping in XP on Athlon64.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping yahoo.com

Pinging yahoo.com [66.94.234.13] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 66.94.234.13: bytes=32 time=149ms TTL=52
Reply from 66.94.234.13: bytes=32 time=161ms TTL=52
Reply from 66.94.234.13: bytes=32 time=162ms TTL=52
Reply from 66.94.234.13: bytes=32 time=158ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 66.94.234.13:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 149ms, Maximum = 162ms, Average = 157ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

I would just reinstall windows, but if disabling dep works why not. You can get windows to open boot.ini from the startup and recovery window. Not being able to save to boot.ini makes it sound like a permission problem.

Have you installed/removed any odd network components?

That error message, as you know, doesn't indicate anything is wrong with DEP, so we kinda need that error too...

Back